I'm not sure if this goes in the recording forum or in the gear and accessories forum, but I figured I'd start here. I recently picked up a Mesa Boogie Maverick and it has a slave jack on the back with a level control knob. In the manual it says : "This 1/4" jack and control provide a signal derived from the speaker jack. Perfect for using the Maverick as a master pre-amp, or additional power amps may be connected for more power when needed."

So... does that mean I can run a cord from the slave jack to my audio interface for recording? Will that provide a more true tube amp tone than just plugging my guitar directly into the interface and using my DAW's onboard amp sims? And if so, do I need to set the audio interface input as instrument or line level?

Or is a slave jack for something completely different? I've never had an amp with that feature before so I'm not really sure how to use it.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
So... does that mean I can run a cord from the slave jack to my audio interface for recording?
Yeah, indeed.
Though the instructions aren't really clear about if the thing is powering off the power stage (probably not but maybe...), so keep the thing attached to a cab when it's on and check if the power section is still working when there's a jack inserted in there.
Mind that the fact that it will not emit sound isn't by any means a sign that it's not working, so if you don't know how to check that for sure, be safe and keep it plugged into a cab.
Quote by 57Goldtop
Will that provide a more true tube amp tone than just plugging my guitar directly into the interface and using my DAW's onboard amp sims?
"true tube amp tone" is something invented by marketing.
Try the thing with a cab simulator (and even power amp simulator if you think it sounds better), see how it sounds and stick to that method if it sounds better to you.
Quote by 57Goldtop
And if so, do I need to set the audio interface input as instrument or line level?
Line level.
Than keep the input gain of your interface to unity and use the knob on the back of the amp to set the proper volume.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Cool, I'll give it a try. It's a combo amp so no worries about not having a speaker load attached (I will keep the internal speakers plugged in at all times).

My DAW comes with a Line 6 POD amp / cabinet sim, but I don't think I can use the cab sim's by themselves. I'll try it with a clean POD amp setting and see how it works. But I'd really like to hear the Mesa by itself.

Do you know of a good standalone cabinet simulator plugin so I wouldn't have to use a POD amp sim on top of the Mesa pre-amp? I'm using Reason 6.5 to record if that matters.

Thanks!
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
The only advice I can give you if you want to use plugins is to switch to another DAW.
I don't think they even make a cab simulator for reason y' know, apart from the built in line 6 one, of which I think you can only use the cab if you dig a bit into the settings.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ok, not a huge deal. I'll play around with the settings and see how it sounds. Thanks!
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2