Page 1 of 2
Alright, so here's my situation. I'm a computer science major, but I go to a medium/smallish sized liberal arts school so sciences aren't really my schools focus. A while ago I got accepted to a much bigger and more reputable school for computer science (Stony Brook University).

At first when I went on a tour there I thought it would be perfect but now I'm having second thoughts. I've made a lot of really good friends at my two years at my current school and it makes me nervous to leave them. In addition to this, I've been pretty successful academically at my current school, but there's a good chance that none of my CS classes I've already taken here will transfer, which is what happened to another CS major I know who wanted to transfer to the same school.

Also, my current school isn't really the most academically intensive and many of the students are lazy. As a result, many of my classes have had huge curves (in one class a 65 or above was a 4.0), and I feel like my high-ish gpa has a lot to do with that, and I'm scared I'll fail miserably at SBU. However, I talked to one of my CS professors about how I'm interested in connecting CS with music/audio and he told me that I might want to look into Electrical Engineering; but my current school doesn't have that major offered, while SBU does.

Since this is starting to get long I'll just make a list of pros and cons for each school.

SUNY Potsdam(current school):
Pros:
- Get to stay with my friends.
- Easy to get good grades
- No risk of falling behind
- Love interest of mine will be going here next year
- I've already established solid relationships with my professors
- Close to home
- Already comfortable and happy here
- Good food
- I get to feel like I'm smarter than I am

Cons:
- Very small CS department(only 4 professors, 2 retiring next year) that is not very well known.
-I'm not sure what will happen when those 2 professors retire as only one of the remaining 2 actually has a degree in CS.
- Not very prestigious academically in general, aside from maybe the music program.
- No EE program
- Mostly lame student body. Too many sluts and partiers who don't give a crap about school

Stony Brook University:
Pros:
- More prestigious academically, but it's still a SUNY school so I don't know if that's saying much
- Big CS department with lots of professors and a wide variety of courses.
- Has an EE and a Computer engineering program
- Seems to have a lot more going on on campus with sports, guest speakers such as Bill Nye and Michio Kaku
- Lots of asian girls
- 1 hour or so away from NYC with a train station on campus that will take you there
- More challenging but perhaps more rewarding?
- More well known than Potsdam

Cons:
- Pretty much the negation of everything that's on the pros list for Potsdam.

So what do you guys think?
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Last edited by Stringz of Fury at May 20, 2014,
go to the better school every time.

you are probably only going to be studying once, while your friends (if they are good friends) will always be there to come back to later.

though if the additional 'prestige' of the new place isn't really significant you might as well stay. like, would having the new place instead of the old on your cv really matter much to future employers and post grad applications?
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I wouldn't worry to much if your classes don't transfer, more likely than not if you're at least competent you can challenge/test out of the courses you've already done. Also, as a CS I would recommend looking into double major or minor of sorts in EE; I know a lot CSs double majoring in EE.
You want to stay at your school because the people are lazy and you're getting good grades with minimum effort? That's a great foundation to build your career on.

Go to a better school that challenges you and forces you to work hard and learn more.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
are you good at math? or do you at least like math? kinda important for doing EE. i did EE/CS but ended up focusing way more on CS because it was easier and much clearer as to how i'd get a job afterward.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
are you good at math? or do you at least like math? kinda important for doing EE. i did EE/CS but ended up focusing way more on CS because it was easier and much clearer as to how i'd get a job afterward.

I like math in the sense of solving math problems and I'm also pretty good at that, but I hate proofs, and a lot of my CS program's upper level courses have a lot of proofs and it just sounds terrible to me.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Do it! Transfer and go to the better one. When you graduate you'll be glad you went for the more prestigious university, as employers do look at where you went.
You might regret having your studies limited by not being able to take the extra classes you want or study in additional fields. You're in university to further your studies, so go do some further...ing.

Your friends will still keep in touch if they're good friends and you'll make new friends too. If you only believe that you're getting good grades because of others not doing so well then you need to go elsewhere and challenge yourself, otherwise you're not doing yourself any favours.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Stringz of Fury
and a lot of my CS program's upper level courses have a lot of proofs and it just sounds terrible to me.

What kind of upper level CS program focuses on proofs, rather than...you know, PROGRAMMING and OS's and that sort of thing? Transfer asap. Jeese.
Quote by chev311e
Drop out and become a musician. Works every time.

can confirm. you are pretty much a guaranteed rockstar. your name is Strings of Fury.

banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
cheeseheads i tell ya

You know you love me. Actually, you just love the cheese I spend hours making.

It's all for you deadsy.

y don't u wuv me?!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You know you love me. Actually, you just love the cheese I spend hours making.

It's all for you deadsy.

y don't u wuv me?!

its okay sam, youre a dork to da max but youre alright i guess.

i sure do love cheese
banned
I forgot to mention one more thing, the CS chair at my current school offered me a $1000 scholarship if I stay. It's not much but it's still something worth considering I think.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
What kind of upper level CS program focuses on proofs, rather than...you know, PROGRAMMING and OS's and that sort of thing? Transfer asap. Jeese.

I haven't done any programming for school sine my second year. And I've got 99 credits but OS ain't one... but yeah, OS is a requirement, gonna have to take that soon.

To OP, very much agree with your prof on EE for music thing. At the very least a minor in EE or something along those lines.
Hey, Stony Brook was mentioned in a good science-fiction novel I just read. So go there.
My God, it's full of stars!
You need to prioritize on your own. Rank the following based on what you value most

Relationships with friends/family/others
Prestige of school
Quality of education received
Finances
Getting good grades
Staying in comfortable place
Trying something new
(etc)

and with your pros and cons list you can figure out which place is more suitable for you. Other people are telling you which place they would have chosen but it's up to you in the end and different things are important to everyone.

Also it would be useful to figure out what you envision yourself doing when you graduate. Some jobs require more networking in which case the more prestigious school would be helpful. Others focus on your GPA. Some require both, others don't care about any of that and want someone with practical experience, either with work or independent projects. Or if you're not going to get a job and want to go to graduate school, that brings in more variables.

The point is, there are loads of options out there and only you can decide what's best for yourself. There's no point in doing something everyone else says is right if it doesn't make you happy
cat
Stony Brook is a silly, almost made up, sounding name.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I think I'm gonna go with SBU. If Potsdam had electrical or computer engineering I would likely stay but it doesn't. While I like programming, I'm not really digging the upper level cs courses so much.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by bradulator
Let's get real: it doesn't really matter.

truth
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Stringz of Fury

Stony Brook University:
Pros:
- Lots of asian girls

lol

Transfer. You can make new friends and connect with new professors anywhere. It's not Ivy League but at least I've heard of Stony Brook.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Are you planning on going to grad school? If so, the only thing that really matters is where you get your last diploma.
SBU for sure, even if it's friends and 1 grand of scholarship left behind.
CS = counter strike right? I think you should join the Counter Strike school.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Dreadnought
Hey, Stony Brook was mentioned in a good science-fiction novel I just read. So go there.

it wasn't Spin, was it?!

cause I started that like yesterday and it mentioned that school in passing and I was like 'hey i know that name'

if it is, wtf man.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Pots - dam and Stony Brook? yall playing with that 420 fire too much up in school

on a serious note: you're already comfy and happy, feel smart, successful, your love interest is coming to your school.... your present situation doesn't sound problematic at all! maybe staying isn't so bad
The playground of the world
whatever you think is best! remember you can also try to go there for grad school instead.
Well if I major in electrical engineering maybe I'll just make myself one :p
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
You should transfer to a different planet.

That's my edgy post for the day.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Not even edgy bro, I wish I could transfer to another planet. That'd be fricken awesome. I'd be the new Neil Armstrong.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Stringz of Fury
Not even edgy bro, I wish I could transfer to another planet. That'd be fricken awesome. I'd be the new Neil Armstrong.

Fuck Neil Armstrong. You can be the new Nelson Legweak.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Page 1 of 2