Hello everyone,

I've recently moved to an apartment that is less sound-isolated then my previous one, so I would like to practice/play more through headphones. I have bought a Zoom G3X for my amp modelling/effects, and it sounds great through my studio monitors (M-Audio BX5 D2), but when using my Sennheiser CX-300 II earbuds it's sounds really thin. It sounds like the earbuds don't have good mids, or just an overall different FR, but maybe it's just because the sound isn't reflected through my room?

So I was wondering, if I buy some (not too expensive) flat response headphones (like the Audio Technica ATH-M20x), do you think that will make a difference? Will it sound more or less like the studio monitor speakers I have? Or do you have other suggestions on how to make it sound better?
Last edited by Immortaly007 at May 20, 2014,
Yes. Buds are shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
AKG K240 mkII.
Or ATH-M50 or M50x.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I don't think those are really in my budget at the time. Is the ATH M20X also acceptable? It's just for practicing, so it doesn't need to be that fancy, but just better then the earbuds because they sound so thing and muddy it's no fun practicing :P
Yeah they would be better, but still a kinda mediocre.
I'd save for a nice pair of headphones, who knows when you'll need them for other stuff...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
AKG K-240 Studio (previous version of mkII) is bit cheaper and still available and sound is quite good. Not too hard to drive and warm not fatiguing sound. I own one and its damn fine headphones even though I own much better and way more expensive ones. (former hobby of mine) Semi-open design so no isolation to speak about.

Ultrasone HFI-450 might be another good option. I do not have that model (though I have owned Proline 650 and 750) but Ultrasone has a habbit of having a strong bass (audiophiles would consider it excessive) that extends deep so the sound should be anything but thin. Design is also closed so you will be isolated from outside noises.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 20, 2014,
I've read all the I can found about the M20X and everybody seems to be quite enthusiastic about them. Since I don't really want to save up (i'm a bit impatient I guess) I'll buy those for now (they're less then 50 euro's, so that's nice). Depending on how much I like playing with the headphones on I might sell them again and upgrade to a more expensive pair (like the AKG K-240 MKII or the M50(X)).

Thank you all very much for your opinions
Quote by MaaZeus
AKG K-240 Studio (previous version of mkII) is bit cheaper and still available and sound is quite good. Not too hard to drive and warm not fatiguing sound. I own one and its damn fine headphones even though I own much better and way more expensive ones. (former hobby of mine) Semi-open design so no isolation to speak about.
The K240 studio are one of the two second generation K240.
They have some difference in the cable and the earpads I think, but the drivers and the design are the same in both the K240 studio and the K240 mkII.

The K240 (mkI) on the other hand were similar but pretty hard to drive - 600ohm vs 55ohm.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
The K240 studio are one of the two second generation K240.
They have some difference in the cable and the earpads I think, but the drivers and the design are the same in both the K240 studio and the K240 mkII.

The K240 (mkI) on the other hand were similar but pretty hard to drive - 600ohm vs 55ohm.

Studio was supposed to be easier to drive version of K240M, (or one of the other K240 models. There were several, DF, Sextet, hell its over 30 year old line. ) but they sound bit different, Studio is warmer.

MkII came later, I remember seeing articles about them at Head-Fi couple of years back when AKG revised few of their headphones. I think was MkII one of them. But apparently MkII is same thing as Studio, just new looks. But Studio is cheaper.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 20, 2014,
I went from good Sony buds to a cheap, shitty pair of cans sold for pc's in a supermarket and the improvement was massive even (using a Vox amplug.)
Even the ATH 20's will be a huge improvement. If you can't afford the 50's the 20's will do for now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're looking for studio quality headhpones (overears), you're generally going to be in the $100-200 range, with Sony 7506, AKG 240, Sennheiser 280, BeyerDynamic 770. You CAN get earbuds that will be outstanding, of course -- there are some designed for IEM use, etc., that are outstanding. But ordinary $4 buck buds just aren't going to do it for you.
Hi all, I got the ATH M20X's today and it's really a night-day difference with the earbuds. It would of course be better if I bought the AKG 240's, Beyerdynamic 770 or ATH M50x's, but this is definitely sufficient for my purposes.