So,I already have a great fender tube amp and a pedal collection for beautiful sounds, the nice guitars, blah, blah, blah. What I am now I'm the market for is a little amp, with a speaker, but also a headphone output for quiet jamming. I do want some built in effects, because I like them but don't want to mess with pedals on this set up. Maybe some amp modeling, not sure if that is necessary.

Have any of you guys played any inexpensive amps that have acceptable sounds through headphones that would fit this? Btw, I have played a line 6 pod and wasn't that impressed, so I'm not sure of I would even want to try that brand again.

I want to play all types of music through it, so a bunch of decent sounds would trump one amazing sound for this set up.

I'll play an American standard 60th anniversary strat, a PRS SE singlet and a epiphone Les Paul through it, with studio quality headphones, but every once in a while might play it with its speaker away from home. Not gigs with this.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
It's not an amp, but a Zoom G3 would be a great investment for headphone practice, and it can be played through anything with an aux input (i.e. home stereo etc). It also has a dedicated output for DIing to a PA if you ever needed to gig it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I just read some reviews on that zoom, and that does sound like a good option, and there is one on Ebay right now with three days left in the auction. I will consider it.

Does Amy one have more suggestions for me?
A pod hd500x or 500 or 400x or 300x
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Fender Super Champ XD or Roland Micro Cube. I own both and they each have their uses. The Micro Cube is super portable and runs on batteries which is more convenient than I imagined. The Super Champ sounds really good and will just run with a drummer. A lotta bang for the buck.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The SCXD is a great amp but no headphone amp. I've heard nothing but good things about the Yamaha THR amps.
So, here is what I am looking into right now thanks to all of your guys...

Zoom G3
Fender Super Champ XD
Roland Micro Cube
Yamaha THR

I just did a quick search for all of those. I noticed that the Fender only has a line out, not a headphone out, which is one of the main things this purchase needs for me. Can you use a line out to run headphones, or is that non compatible?

I think I'll take all of your suggestions and check out the local music store, and Guitar Center to see if they have any of these that I can hear through headphones. That is going to be most important for my purchase since it will be mainly for "silent" jamming first and maybe little campfire jams second, so the micro cube might be a good option.

Hopefully, I'll find these locally to play, but might try to buy from ebay to save money. Since these options all cost a little more than I had hoped, I plan on taking my time with the research. Great starting points, still open for more ideas.

Thank you for the solid suggestions.
I have a Roland Micro Cube and a Zoom G3X, but I must say I like the amp modeling better on the Zoom G3X + you can switch using pedals. But it's not an amp so no campfire jamming with that one I'm afraid. Either way, I think both are pretty cool in their own way.
+1 for the g3. I scoffed at amp modeling before I got my g3. But they sound great through headphones. Its very easy to use and with all the features you can actually start a beat, loop a "bass" and/or rhythm line and sound like a full band playing...through headphones. Really spices up late night practice.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by ethanwhufc
Roland micro cube has my vote!

Agreed.

My son gets a lot of good use from his. It does a good job with the same ear buds we use on our iPods & cellphones.

There are enough effects and amp types to really cover a lot of ground. I used his micro cube the other evening once everyone else had gone to bed. It really worked well.

2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
From this list, I think that I have narrowed it down to the Zoom G3 or the Roland Micro Cube. I think the G3 would be easy to use out with friends non formally with a portable mp3 speaker, but with my hopes being mainly for headphone jamming, that shouldn't be too big of a deal every once in a while. I do like the fact that the G3 has a looper, but I have also been reading some great Micro Cube reviews. I'm gonna' have to check these things out. Hopefully, some store in my town will have them. We actually have like 4 music stores here.

Thanks for the good ideas everyone. There are so many things out there that it's hard to figure out where to start.
Quote by bronzepour

Thanks for the good ideas everyone. There are so many things out there that it's hard to figure out where to start.

Very true !

It can be intimidating. This forum has really helped me. Kept me from spending needless money on costly gear that was poorly suited for my current and short term needs.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by Spambot_2
A pod hd500x or 500 or 400x or 300x
+1
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It takes time to get a good tone, but a POD is really the way to go. They go for super cheap used nowadays and they're way better than microcubes in terms of amp/effect selection and tone. I bought some cheap studio headphones and I love playing on my 300. The expression pedal helps too.

I know you weren't impressed but it's really a no-brainer for headphone use
I'll add the pod to my list of things to try out at the music store. The one I tried was a few years back. It was a friends pocket pod, an earlier version, and it just didn't sound very good. I haven't been interested in their products since then, but out should be free to play with at the music store.
Quote by bronzepour
I'll add the pod to my list of things to try out at the music store. The one I tried was a few years back. It was a friends pocket pod, an earlier version, and it just didn't sound very good. I haven't been interested in their products since then, but out should be free to play with at the music store.

You should try everything they have

Personally I'd rate the Zoom over the Line 6, but realistically it's down to preference, just as many people would rate them the other way around as there's not much in it between Zoom G3/5 & Line 6 these days
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by bronzepour
From this list, I think that I have narrowed it down to the Zoom G3 or the Roland Micro Cube. I think the G3 would be easy to use out with friends non formally with a portable mp3 speaker, but with my hopes being mainly for headphone jamming, that shouldn't be too big of a deal every once in a while. I do like the fact that the G3 has a looper, but I have also been reading some great Micro Cube reviews. I'm gonna' have to check these things out. Hopefully, some store in my town will have them. We actually have like 4 music stores here.
The uCube is great for a small battery powered amp, but it won't hold a candle to the G3 for features. The G3 features pedalboard flexibility for building an FX chain. Plus the looper is synced to an internal drum machine, and has a progress bar, which is something I've never seen in another looper.
I was thinking small amp with headphone jack, but now, since you all have given me some ideas I might end up with a small effects processor. I'll have some fun playing at the store. I think I'll play most at guitar center, then try to find a deal on something used. I don't feel bad doing that to them, but I don't like doing that to the local shops. F I go in them, I usually buy something just to support them.
If you really want to just test the waters cheap I would consider the Zoom G1on ($50) or G1xon($70). Even has the aux in the G3/G5 doesn't. Also has drum machine and 30sec looper.
We'll, after watching some auctions, and going to 3 different guitar shops today and spending some time looking at lots of options, I decided to comer home and order the $70 zoom G1Xon. It should be good enough for my headphone practicing, and the thirty second looper should be a fun bonus to play with. Tons of effects and amp models, a tuner, pedal for wah our other things should be good enough for my needs. I'll post my feeling on it once I play through it.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
The zoom g1xon has been a blast to play! I really love the rhythms and looper functions. I am progressing. I played today for like an hour and a half in the living room with the family. Jen surfed internet, Sarah played video games, and I was quiet enough to not disturb anyone. The sounds are the same as the g3. My hot rod deville and pedalboard still sound better, but this zoom deal has tons of different sounds that can all be fine tuned. I am really happy with this product for being a very affordable practice (headphone) amp.