Hey guys,

so I'm planning on buying my first electric guitar,as you may have seen in my last post and I'm not sure whether this second hand guitar is a good deal or not.

Therefore I was hoping you guys could help me out

Ok so it's an Ibanez SA120,made in Indonesia(as far as I can see) and in 2006.

The guy said it's hardly been used and he just had it stored away.
He wants R2000,which is about $192.

What do you think? 8 year old guitar.
Deal or no deal?
Attachments:
Sa120 Ibanez.jpg
What was the original price? If it only cost around $400 new I wouldn't pay more than around $100 or so as long as it is in great shape. When I buy used guitars I always look to see if the tuners are wobbly, the bridge is still set solidly. And if any of the screws are stripped out or any other damage that would require a decent investment to fix. From the photo it looks pretty well taken care of so if you can talk him down on the price a bit that would be a good buy I think.
When all else fails.......Shred!!
Last edited by metalhead294 at May 20, 2014,
I would try for like ~$160. That way you save some money and he makes money.

That guitar goes for about $200 used. That means he'd probably get about $100-$120 (max) for it in that condition selling it to a store, so you have to find a median there.

I think ~$160 is a good number cause you're saving ~$40 and he's making ~$40.

You could probably get him down further, but I don't agree with that type of deal making. We're all friends in music and why try to fleece someone? It's up to you.

EDIT: Is this eBay or Craigslist? If Craigslist, you should offer up something and if you guys can agree on a price, go check the thing out. Don't be a dickhead and complain about every scratch. You're buying used and saving money. (DO NOT negotiate price at the meetup. It's just rude. He drove out there and you're trying to lower the price.)

Ask him if he can do a basic setup beforehand so you know how the action and the neck feels and listen for glaring intonation problems. There's nothing worse than buying a guitar that has a warped neck and cannot be intonated.
Last edited by mjones1992 at May 20, 2014,
yeah check the frets, the neck, and turn the knobs to hear any static or shorts in the wiring.
if all that checks out, then hell yeah thats a decent price! and good enough to put some new pups in upgrade the tuners etc etc over time and it could turn into a beastly guitar : )
Hi there, I have been using the exact same guitar for the past 6+ years since I started my electric guitar journey. I did not regret one bit after buying this guitar.

For someone's first guitar, it is pretty light in weight and the thin neck (like a lot of other Ibanez) is very comfortable to get used to. It was priced at 300 USD (Indonesian made) new when I bought it last time so 190 USD seems like a fair price if it is well preserved.

The only thing I did not like about the guitar was the tremolo system which messes up the tuning quite easily if you attempt to abuse it. Otherwise, it is a well built guitar and quite versatile as a first guitar with the dual humbucker configuration.

Here's a sample video of me with my SA120.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTO2znzMsu8

Cheers.
Quote by liquified
Hi there, I have been using the exact same guitar for the past 6+ years since I started my electric guitar journey. I did not regret one bit after buying this guitar.

For someone's first guitar, it is pretty light in weight and the thin neck (like a lot of other Ibanez) is very comfortable to get used to. It was priced at 300 USD (Indonesian made) new when I bought it last time so 190 USD seems like a fair price if it is well preserved.

The only thing I did not like about the guitar was the tremolo system which messes up the tuning quite easily if you attempt to abuse it. Otherwise, it is a well built guitar and quite versatile as a first guitar with the dual humbucker configuration.

Here's a sample video of me with my SA120.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTO2znzMsu8

Cheers.

Thank you very much,you made my day. Epic video,awesome playing,I hope I can one day play like that!!

I love this guitar,one of the main reasons is because of the versatility.
So that's why I wanted to find out if it was a good price or not.
The last thing I want to do is buy the guitar and find out I've ripped off.
8 years is a long time and that was my main concern.

Thank you very much for your help,I appreciate it and I'm definitely going to organize to go see the guitar,sometime soon.
Thank you everyone for taking the time and effort to reply,
I appreciate all the help and advice you have given.