So I've been doing a shootout of the Hardwire CM-2 and MXR Custom Badass Modified OD through a VK212. I need one on solos as a gain boost (by cranking output) and to tighten bass/boost treble (my neck and bridge pickups don't matchup; this won't change anytime soon). I like separate bass and treble controls.

From what I find, the CM-2 has more gain and is warmer, while the Modified OD has a bit more clarity. However, both can just about do the tone I need. The Modified OD with output nearly cranked is the same as the CM-2 at noon. The CM-2 with bass between 7:00 and 9:00 and treble between 1:00 and 2:30 is about the same as the Modified with tone between 1:30 and 2:30 and 100hz between 9:30 and 10:30. The modified OD did not have bump switch engaged and the CM-2 voice switch was set to classic.

So which one? Any input that would help me chose?I feel like I have a little more wiggle room with the CM-2 but I really can't complain about either.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 20, 2014,
big fan of CM-2 the mod switch really makes it pretty versatile. I use one with my VK and have been really happy with the tone. can't say I've tried the MXR but honestly I already have 3 overdrives so haven't made the effort.
If you're buying new, from a place with a friendly return policy, buy 'em both and take the one you don't want back after you figure it out.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
If you're buying new, from a place with a friendly return policy, buy 'em both and take the one you don't want back after you figure it out.

It's basically what I did; been trying them out at my house today. Still really torn.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
At least you can't make a wrong decision because like them both, that's a way to see it as well . I count more CM2's in your post and my gut says that u like that one more.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by GuitarL91
At least you can't make a wrong decision because like them both, that's a way to see it as well . I count more CM2's in your post and my gut says that u like that one more.

I think I'm starting to lead towards it.

Quote by Cathbard

Hahaha. How does it do using the level as a gain boost? Meaning, I have the lead channel on my amp set to a Maiden gain level and tone, and I turn it on when I solo (also cutting bass and boosting treble).
That's it's best trick.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's it's best trick.

My pricing/buying situation's a bit unique; point being, I'll save it if I'm not satisfied with either of the aforementioned pedal, though like I said, neither really bug me right now.
The old Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrives was a Timmy clone. Maybe look for one of those on ebay?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The old Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrives was a Timmy clone. Maybe look for one of those on ebay?

I'll see. Like one of the guys mentioned earlier, I'm sort of looking at stuff I can find in a store, buy for a day or two to side by side test, then return as necessary. I'm gonna finish up with the CM2 and Custom Badass by tomorrow and go from there.
I'd look anyway. If you find one cheap enough it won't matter if you don't like it. You can just relist it on ebay yourself anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

+3.1415.

seriously. i am debating if i need a second one. i have five or so other OD's, and the Timmy is always my first go-to.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you don't need the Timmy's transparency, the Signa Drive is the best Tubescreamer-type pedal I ever tried.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+3.1415.

seriously. i am debating if i need a second one. i have five or so other OD's, and the Timmy is always my first go-to.
The only pedal I am using at gigs now. I may chuck the Morley on the stage at times but I rarely touch it. The Timmy is all I use really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The only pedal I am using at gigs now. I may chuck the Morley on the stage at times but I rarely touch it. The Timmy is all I use really.

thats all i really use besides a tuner pedal. which is an essential, and its nice to cut off signal if i switch guitars or something. i assume you use a rack tuner.

i usually go for a zendrive with me, i use that for the lead channel to keep things sweet and liquid. the timmy goes to boost the rhythm channel gain.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Actually, no. I'm just using my Pitchblack - for much the same reason as you. I use a tele with a fair bit of gain and a lot of volume so a mute button is extremely useful. We were talking effects so I didn't mention it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 21, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Actually, no. I'm just using my Pitchblack - for much the same reason as you. I use a tele with a fair bit of gain and a lot of volume so a mute button is extremely useful. We were talking effects so I didn't mention it.

i bought a new pitchblack a month or so ago after my original one was stolen

MF does the stupid deal of the day and i think i got it for $50. and the other day the polyphonic version of the pitch black was $40. so i bought one and i haven't opened it up yet. i have been busy today.

i also picked up a set of dimarzio twang kings for the american std strat for $100 on ebay brand new. snagged a nice deal.

back to thread,OP, i am sorry if i derailed you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Think I got mine off ebay for $40. I love the Pitchblack. My bass player wants to get rid of his Fender PT-100 and get one too after using mine the other night. They way they track is just great. Apart from the huge display on my Korg DT-1 Pro I think I prefer the Pitchblack.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification