So, here I'm, looking for a new recording interface. I'm going to buy this one next week, because my sister is travelling to miami. So i'm going to send the interface to his hotel.

I've been playing different instruments since 2001 and started building my own Home Studio back in 2008.

Right now i have:

-Tascam US-800 Audio/Midi Interface
-KRK Rokit 6 Studio Monitors
-CME U-key midi controller ( )
-AudioTechnica AT 2020 & AT 2021 Mics
-Desktop PC I5 8GB RAM 2 HD 500 GB each. 64 bit Windows 7
(I built this PC 2 years ago 1200$ new, never had any problems with recording!)
-Cheap dynamics mics i won over in a music contest (low end shure)
-Cubase 5, Ableton live 8. Thousands of VST, etc.

Also i have a Fender american strat Hss, Ibanez electroacustic, a cheap bass for demos, Line 6 m13 stompmodeler, djembe, couple of harmonicas, etc...

I want to do some upgrades to my current studio. Specifically on the Audio Interface. I'm sick of the Tascam US 800, it always had problems with Windows 7, but last months is going pretty crazy, giving me BSOD in the worst moments.

Also I got a new job that's paying me very good, so what i'm looking for is:
Audio Interface with at least:
-2 High level preamps on front.
-At least 2 more analog inputs.
-Midi in-out
-Drivers compatible with windows 7.
-Outputs for Monitors & Phones.

Ideal
-Midi in-out x 2 (I'm planning on buying a e-drum kit soon, or connecting 2 midi keyboards at once is pretty nice).
-More inputs and outputs. (Maximum inputs i've used in all this years at the same time is 5 inputs out of 6 of the Tascam us-800)

So basically, I want to buy the best recording interface, that is similar to a Tascam Us-800 with pristine preamps, that works on Windows 7 with no errors and if it's in the price range the posibility of connecting 2 midi devices at the same time to the Interface (my friend has this RME interface that can do that...)

I'm planning on keeping this interface at least 3-5 years as it was with tascam 800 (before i had a M-audio fast track pro that it broke after 1 year of use)

-Budget 500-1000 USD.

Suggestions?
If you have suggestions to upgrade other parts of my studio i'm happy. Right now the priority is Audio Interface - Guitar Amp (been surviving with modelers over a year) - Midi controller - E-drumkit

Edit:
-Also I'm getting new Phones: ATHM50x
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at May 20, 2014,
So. I have to do this purchase tomorrow on amazon, my options are (no specifical order)

-Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (310 USD).
Good price and has everything I need.

-Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (499 USD).
It always tempting to have 8 analog Mic pres built in, but probably never going to use more than 4.

Both scarlett has the same mic pre right? I could always expand 18i8 in future buying a preamp with ADAT i/o

-Roland OctaCapture (599 USD).
http://www.amazon.com/Roland-OctaCapture-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B0048KM70Y/ref=sr_1_26?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1401119992&sr=1-26&keywords=music+interface

Does someone has any knowledge on this preamps?

-RME BabyFace (599 USD). Looks like the best quality option, but i don't like the fact of having breaout cables. It will probably get messy on my desk.

I have looked over some motu, but didn't like it didn't had pre on the front of the card, also didn't found anything on my price range (500-1000 usd) that could have 2 midi in.

So, thoughts on scarlett? or roland Octacapture?? Is there an interface I didn't saw? thanks for any response

-
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
RME usually has the best drivers and is a step up in converters and clocking, so look into that.

Not crazy about Roland... Weird manuals and surly cust. support.

MOTU and Echo are the other two contenders worth mentioning.
Last edited by diabolical at May 26, 2014,
And what about the quality on the Focusrite scarlett?
As i said my budget was up to 1000, but they seem to be good enough.

I've been researching the last 40 minutes on the babyface, but only 2 inputs without an extra preamp and the breakoutcables, had taken RME out of the competition.

does anyone knows if Scarlett drivers run smooth with win7, cubase 5, etc? I'm changing tascam 800 because faulty drivers...

Edit:
Also, i will need TRS cables to connect to my monitors if i get the scarlett, buying moster cables worth it?
Last edited by tiky at May 26, 2014,
Well, it seems no one care, but i bought at the end an scarlett, so it let me buy another stuff for studio

-Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (310 USD)
-Shure SM57 (99 usd)
-ATHM50x Phones (170 usd)
-5x Guitar Strings 1x Bass Strings, capo, 2x72pack of picks red & yellow dunlop(PICKS FOR LIFE yay) cables, guitar hangers, etc.

756 usd in GAS (Pretty cheap everything compared on buying anything in chile).
The problem with the USB scarlett's is that the pre's don't run on current high enough to sound decent, so see if powering it with the adapter makes it sound any better.

If you're left with money anytime soon, get new monitors, the Rokit 6 are lotsa stuff but they aren't flat response and they aren't what I would use for mixing indeed.
Do you see a pair of yamaha HS8/equator D8 anywhere near you for a decent price?
Also look into the adam a7x and a8x, people seem to like it a lot, but I don't really have any experience with them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I personally wouldn't have taken Scarlett over RME but as long as you're happy and get the results you need, that's all that matters.
Not crazy about KRK even by an iota but its better than nothing. You can learn to mix on any monitor as long as you're familiar with it.
Hope you make some kicka%& music!
Quote by Spambot_2
The problem with the USB scarlett's is that the pre's don't run on current high enough to sound decent, so see if powering it with the adapter makes it sound any better.

If you're left with money anytime soon, get new monitors, the Rokit 6 are lotsa stuff but they aren't flat response and they aren't what I would use for mixing indeed.
Do you see a pair of yamaha HS8/equator D8 anywhere near you for a decent price?
Also look into the adam a7x and a8x, people seem to like it a lot, but I don't really have any experience with them.

Well, but compared to Tascam US-800 should it be better? I would A/B the two a lot to see the differences at the beggining (When i had a fast track pro and compared with Tascam it blew my mind).

When you say connected to the adapter, is to power with electricty right? I've done it like that last 2 years with tascam and i will not change that, i preffer that way that sucking even more power from PC

Also about monitors, i remember how much my mixes improved when buying this KRK 6 (first pairs of monitors, before i mixed with phones or hifi speakers lol). I'm happy enough with my mixes right now. Specially after two years checking them on every place, i know the weak spots of it (Colour: Too much bass, voice to low, kick doesn't sound strong enough with bass above it, etc.) so i control them

Next GAS would go to (if i get to hold my new job over some secure time to get bank credit):

- Orange Dual Terror + Cabinet + overdrive pedal (rest of effects cover by now with m13) but i don't like it doesn't have a fxloop :/ .

- Some Acoustic Treatment of room (been postponing that for 2 years, i know it's essential)

- E-drum kit.

And for awesome music my last demos, all composed and recorded by myself alone with the items i mentioned in the first post):

(Punk-rock demo) https://soundcloud.com/franciscofuenzalida/sobre-la-mesa
(Alternative) https://soundcloud.com/franciscofuenzalida/falsas-salidas
(Hard Rock) https://soundcloud.com/franciscofuenzalida/hard-rock-demo
(Indie-Rock) https://soundcloud.com/fdosaenz/sotaventos

Old disbanded Band recording amps on live show with Tascam US-800, then mixed at home:
https://soundcloud.com/franciscofuenzalida/suenos-live

The RME was twice at value, and a pain in the ass for no inputs enough, i stay by my choice.
Last edited by tiky at May 30, 2014,
Quote by tiky
Well, but compared to Tascam US-800 should it be better? I would A/B the two a lot to see the differences at the beggining (When i had a fast track pro and compared with Tascam it blew my mind).
I don't have a clue what's better, I've never heard a US-800.
What I can tell you is that the fast track pro usb sounds plain bad, so if the tascam's worse than that I don't think I can even imagine how the thing sounds
Quote by tiky
When you say connected to the adapter, is to power with electricty right? I've done it like that last 2 years with tascam and i will not change that, i prefer that way that sucking even more power from PC
Thing is, depending on how the interface is made, you may or may not improve the sound quality and you may or may not suck more power from your computer, which is not a bad thing in any way since it either is a desktop computer, or a laptop with the charger connected.
Or at least I think a laptop would have its charger connected, else I don't see why you would power the interface and not the computer...

I would then feel like seconding what diabolical said, the RME would have been better.
Well, no, that's not accurate, depending on what you wanna do, the scarlett might be better.
There's no way in hell the scarlett's gonna sound better though.

Then again, I'd get a pair of good monitors before putting money in acoustic treatments.
Treatments are made to make you hear stuff more clearly and stuff, and since your monitors don't really sound clear already that wouldn't be much of an improvement.
Not as much as a pair of better monitors anyway.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I see, but the acoustics of my room sucks. I've tested it with a friend of mine who is a Music Engineer.

For acoustic treatment i'm planning just a bit of acoustic foam on the sides of each monitor, bass trap for corners & something on the cealing, nothing fancy

Tascam us-800 sound a lot BETTER than the old fast track pro. http://tascam.com/product/us-800/
You're so close to an RME interface, and their pres are a huge step above the focusrites. If it were me I'd spend a little extra time and get the RME. I used their micstacy pres next to focusrite pres all of last year and the difference was certainly audible.

Also, I hear it on good authority that the Scarlett pres aren't the proper focusrite pres that people love. A Saffire would be well in your budget and likely sound better. Look at a Pro 40.

EDIT ah, I see you've already gone for it. Ma bad.
Last edited by tim_mop at May 30, 2014,
Quote by tim_mop
You're so close to an RME interface, and their pres are a huge step above the focusrites. If it were me I'd spend a little extra time and get the RME. I used their micstacy pres next to focusrite pres all of last year and the difference was certainly audible.

Also, I hear it on good authority that the Scarlett pres aren't the proper focusrite pres that people love. A Saffire would be well in your budget and likely sound better. Look at a Pro 40.

EDIT ah, I see you've already gone for it. Ma bad.

Damn Tim_mop!! You should have appeared before.

I was looking for a USB 2.0 because i thought i didn't had firewire ports, but as soon as i googled the PRO 40, something snapped on my head and said in a very subtle way:

-Hey dude! You do have Firewire ports! Remember! When you built this PC in 2011 you asked for them in case you have to improve your Audio Interface in the future!

So I moved my PC from his shelf, disconected all the cables and looked back...

There was 3 Firewire 400 ports that had never had any sex

Well, i know what to get now in next future if i'm not happy with the Scarlett. Haha.
^

A firewire interface?
Since you're at it, have a look at the mackie onyx blackbird!
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola