Found one used for 400$ and it seems like a nice little head. Havent seen many good videos on youtube though. The cleans always seem slightly overdriven and the distortion sounds a little muffled from the videos ive seen. Apparently it is versatile which is a plus for me because I play from blues, classic rock and metal. I like to play alot of Pink Floyd, RHCP, Dream Theater, Tool, Iron Maiden etc.

Id like to hear your thoughts on this amp and what you think of it. Originally was looking at a BJr iii but i want something with better distortion.
The rebel 20 is a great amp! Super versatile in tone and practicality, reliable, sensitive to tube changes. Nice dirty clean that can get pretty chimey with single coils, but can also get an aggressive, thick growl. I recently switched to an RM20 so that I can gradually collect modules of different amps I want. Besides that, I've tried a lot of amps in that price range and without a doubt the Rebel is my favorite.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
The rebel 20 is a great amp! Super versatile in tone and practicality, reliable, sensitive to tube changes. Nice dirty clean that can get pretty chimey with single coils, but can also get an aggressive, thick growl. I recently switched to an RM20 so that I can gradually collect modules of different amps I want. Besides that, I've tried a lot of amps in that price range and without a doubt the Rebel is my favorite.

Good to hear! What kind of music did you play with it?
I prefer a thick, classic rockish, edge of breakup tone and stray a lil either way sometimes. I've never been a specific artist's tone chaser but I play anything from wilco to pavement to foo fighters to qotsa type tunes. The tweakability of the rebel is amazing. The eq section is really responsive. If you get one, pm me and I'll give you the settings I used to go from gritty fendery clean to nasty marshallish growl, if you want.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I prefer a thick, classic rockish, edge of breakup tone and stray a lil either way sometimes. I've never been a specific artist's tone chaser but I play anything from wilco to pavement to foo fighters to qotsa type tunes. The tweakability of the rebel is amazing. The eq section is really responsive. If you get one, pm me and I'll give you the settings I used to go from gritty fendery clean to nasty marshallish growl, if you want.

Sweet those are pretty good sounds I could work with. Still not sure cuz ive also been thinking of a Blackstar HT 20 or 40
Everyone's ears are different but to my ears, there's no comparison. The Rebel is just a much, much better amp. Comparing the two side by side, which I've pretty much done, its a laughable difference. You'd be kicking yourself for a long time if you take an ht over a Rebel. Maybe not but probably
Quote by lucky1978
Everyone's ears are different but to my ears, there's no comparison. The Rebel is just a much, much better amp. Comparing the two side by side, which I've pretty much done, its a laughable difference. You'd be kicking yourself for a long time if you take an ht over a Rebel. Maybe not but probably

You're probably right. Alot of people have said the HT sounds "sterile". Not exactly sure what that means. I just like that it has a clean and distortion channel. I also found a Tiny Terror for 400$ and Im having an even harder time deciding. Not as nice cleans tho
Quote by lucky1978

This.

I went from a HT50 to a Rebel 20 and its the best amp I have ever owned. It is so responsive and feels so alive in comparison to the HT50. Ive had a lot too - Orange TT, JCM 800, DSL50, Bugera 1990, Laney LC15, Jet City JCA50H. The Rebel suits me down to the ground, and our other guitarist with a Tubemeister has tone envy... i have skill envy mind you...

edit: having said that I probably wouldnt attempt dream theatre or maiden on it... im a sure an OD could help, but it shines in the lower gain classic rock territory for me.
Last edited by slashs_#1_fan at May 21, 2014,