Hey, everyone. I'm having trouble getting a decent tone with my current setup, so I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice.

I have a Dean Razorback DB Floyd 7-string, it has 13-56+68 gauge strings-it's tuned to drop G-and the pickups, I believe, are the stock Dean DMT humbuckers.

I'm running through an old line 6 spider II amp (115w?), but I only play it in my bedroom, so I think it's okay. I think that it's okay, because I just want the guitar ready to record, and as it is, it doesn't sound too great through my Presonus Firestudio Mobile.

For some reason I think changing the pickups to EMG 707's, or Duncan Blackouts would help.

Well, I want be able to get a tone like Necrophagist's, Between the Buried and Me's, etc. Basically melodeath.
Last edited by LostThinker at May 20, 2014,
Pickups won't fix this. Unplug from the Spider and plug into a Pod, Tonelab, AXE or other DME and see if your tone appears. I am sure there are players out there that can get good tone from a Spider. I just never met any and I most certainly can not.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Open dumpster, insert Spider.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

I got it for 100 bucks from my old guitar teacher, who, by the way, didn't teach me a thing, other than how to come to your job stoned and play super cool licks to your students without teaching them how.

What would you recommend I get, my budget could be up to 400 bucks.
A sexy solid state for down tuned metal. Randall RM? It's a bit of a fad at the moment, but it does fit your style.

If it's just for bedroom use, a Line6 Pod HD would be ideal. Decent set of tones, recording capability into a computer. Boom.

In terms of pickups, if you want the créme de la creme...https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=contemporary&pickup=nailbomb

I like them so much that I take them out of my previous guitars and put them in my new ones. I have had three different guitars with the same set of pickups that I've transferred from one to the other.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at May 21, 2014,
used 6505+ combo probably. or XXX JSX or ultra + what ever you like.

its not the best for price bracket. look used. but the above should be damn near your budget.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by bartdevil_metal
A sexy solid state for down tuned metal. Randall RM? It's a bit of a fad at the moment, but it does fit your style.

You mean the RG, don't you? The RM is the modular tube amp beasty like I've got.

Yeah, I agree ^ - used JSX/XXX/Ultra. 3120 even.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I found a used Randall RT100 with a Randall RT412RC Cabinet for 450, would that be decent?
Quote by LostThinker
I found a used Randall RT100 with a Randall RT412RC Cabinet for 450, would that be decent?

They are OK amps. Try it first though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Big +1 to a used Peavey 6505+ 112. One of the best value amps on the market for what you get, hands down.

Also check out the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, if you want to be able to do cleans like BtBaM has.

The Peavey JSX 212 is also a non modeling option with great cleans, but it is quite a behemoth.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard
You mean the RG, don't you? The RM is the modular tube amp beasty like I've got.

Yeah, I agree ^ - used JSX/XXX/Ultra. 3120 even.

Indeed I do - I'm out of practice at this whole GG&A thing. Randall RG is pretty good for down tuned metal type music, though it doesn't excel at anything else really.
Quote by Cathbard

That's funny sh!t!!!
My definition of perfect pitch?
When I throw a Spider III into the dumpster and it lands on a Berhinger GX!
My buddy is selling a Bugera 333xl, and I think it sounds pretty decent. I can't recall the cabinet name, but he said he'd let me get it for 500, and I think that seems reasonable?
Quote by LostThinker
My buddy is selling a Bugera 333xl, and I think it sounds pretty decent. I can't recall the cabinet name, but he said he'd let me get it for 500, and I think that seems reasonable?

No
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?