Ok so I'm going from montreal to brazil on friday and need to bring a guitar. It's not a guitar I particularly like or care about but it would be in my best interests if it got there in one piece.

I have a relatively solid hard case to put it in and it's well padded inside so I'm not too worried about it getting damaged during handling.

However, the case doesn't lock and doesn't have a place for an external lock. Is this too bad an idea?

Should I tape it shut or put a ton of saran wrap around it? I don't mind carrying a roll of duct tape with me in case I have to unravel it for customs...

Have any of you traveled a lot with guitars to brazil?

Thanks!
Be careful with putting anything extra on the case. If you end up stopping somewhere in the U.S. you may catch some grief from the TSA over duct tape. Are you worried about someone stealing it, or just don't want it to come open mid-flight?
Quote by flexiblemile
Ok so I'm going from montreal to brazil on friday and need to bring a guitar. It's not a guitar I particularly like or care about but it would be in my best interests if it got there in one piece.

I have a relatively solid hard case to put it in and it's well padded inside so I'm not too worried about it getting damaged during handling.

However, the case doesn't lock and doesn't have a place for an external lock. Is this too bad an idea?

Should I tape it shut or put a ton of saran wrap around it? I don't mind carrying a roll of duct tape with me in case I have to unravel it for customs...

Have any of you traveled a lot with guitars to brazil?

Thanks!

I used to travel in and out of Colombia a fair bit with luggage and a sometimes a guitar at the height of the narco wars in the late 80s. There was a risk of becoming an inadvertent drug mule in addition to theft. I used a lockable strap through the handle, but saran wrap and/or duct tape should be good, I sometimes used tape, and I used to mark it so I could see if it had been tampered with. Also, I always inspected the case carefully before approaching customs clearance, and would have reported suspected tampering immediately.

I don't think the risks would be anywhere near as great in Brasil, but it pays to be cautious.
All the times i have traveled with my guitar (3 times, to Europe and to USA, from Chile) the airline allowed me to bring it in as a CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. I have traveled with a Fender Strat and a Ibanez electroacustic. You just need to ask to the flight-attendant and normally they will allow you. They are going put your guitar on 1st class in the place where they store the suits of rich people

(When you travel 1st class you can store your suits there, so thee suits won't wrinkle)

Last time i did this was about 3 years ago. A friend of mine who travelled last year was asked to take the strings off because they could be used as a "Weapon" lol. But they still allowed him to carry on.

No sense for risking your guitar in the belly of the plane.

Edit:
http://www.guitarworld.com/acoustic-nation-alert-you-can-carry-your-guitar-it-s-law
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Every time I have traveled since September 11th they have made me take any locks of of my luggage before checking it, so that may be out of the window anyway, however, I have never taken a guitar, so I am not totally sure how that works. I do think trying to carry it on is in your best interest though. I went to Idaho this Thanksgiving and saw many guitars being carried through the terminals. Happy travels

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Ask the specific airline about preparation. I usually carry-on when I travel with a guitar and I have taken one to Europe, Hawaii, and the orient. Zero humidity and -50 degrees cant be good for tonewoods.

Last time I was in Rio was 1988 and did not travel with a guitar then. As I recall the flight crew was very accommodating though.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 21, 2014,
thank you all for your answers. I will try to carry on with me.

I hope I don't have to bump this thread to show you pics of damage.
Bad stuff happens with airline baggage handlers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY