Looking at getting new tubes for my amp and just looking for some recommendations on what to get. What I'm looking for is something that could possibly help a little with the cleans (not expecting much I know they aren't known for their cleans) and taming some of the brightness it has. I have no issues with grabbing a few extra pre amp tubes just to do some testing (me or my buddy will probably find a use for any spares in something lol).

Also what are the best places to order from, my search-fu sucks.
JJ

Where do you live?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tubedepot, Doug's tubes, Eurotubes, TriodeElectronics.

If you want to lash out on NOS tubes, TC tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't know too much about tubes but I do know that some tubes, while not taking away brightness, make the brightness sound so good that you like the brightness. Basicly there's good bright and bad bright. Just something I've noticed in my limited experience.

A 12at7 may clean it up a bit. Seems to work well with some of my amps, mainly my epi electar and valve jr, but not others.

I really like old GE 12ax7s. I buy 'em used for $15-20, never had a problem with any of the 4 I have now. I don't know how to describe it but they sound distinctly more organic and pure. I also have a couple old rca 12ax7s which is the tube I was referring to when I said some tubes will make your ears like the brightness. The rca's are a lil pricier but I personally prefer the ge tubes.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
JCA's like JJ. But yeah, NOS American, British or western European are gonna be better if you can afford them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 20, 2014,
All 12ax7's or do 12at7's or 5751's help any? Don't think I really want to pay for NOS in this amp (5 pre's for one and it was a $300 amp lol) Now that you got me thinking of it though I may grab something for my AC4TV though
Last edited by jaymz9350 at May 20, 2014,
Depends on what you are trying to achieve. Buy some and try them, they're only like $10 each and if you get them at the same time you'll be getting them postage free (or cheaper at least).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well got them in yesterday and tossed them in today. Definite improvement over the stock Chinese tubes in my quick test. Power tubes and and 4 12ax7's are JJ's and I had a NOS JAN Phillips 12at7 that came with my AC4TV's mod kit (project for a later date and I grabbed an RCA NOS 12at7 for it) that I put in V1. I also have a JJ 12at7 and 5751 to try later when I'm bored. Biggest improvement was definitely in the clean headroom. The amp it self seems to have a faint fizzy sound on the crunch channel even with the gain at 0 (always did) which is irritating at low volumes but not noticeable when you turn it up.