Page 1 of 2
Incase you haven't already heard:
"a lawyer representing deceased Spirit guitarist Randy California is claiming the hard-rock legends stole the intro for their 1971 single "Stairway to Heaven" from Spirit's 1968 song "Taurus." Attorney Francis Alexander Molofiy wants to prevent the release of the Led Zeppelin IV reissue when the time comes, Bloomberg Businessweek reports. "

Listen for your self. The content question comes up around the 45 second mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJUdnTKlP1E

Your opinions please
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. ~Jimi Hendrix
yeah this is annoying and ridiculous. first off, they are fifty ****ing years late for ****s sake

second, there are tons of songs that sound exactly like other songs, get over it for ****s sake

im sorry but this makes me really mad and i dont even really listen to led zeppelin anymore

its like 4real you are suing them over this

no, stop, get over it pls
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at May 21, 2014,
Jimmy Page has admitted to it loads of times, I can't be arsed finding the quote, go to the news section of UG for this story and look at the comments.
figures a genre so uninspired would land on the same melody twice.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I've never once listened through the entirety of staircase of heaven so i have no opinion
ggg1 ggg3

also guys, led zeppelins first three albums are basically ripoffs of old blues stuff. and jimmy page stole dazed and confused from a college student according to this biography i read one time
banned
Led Zeppelin stealing music from other artists? Unheard of.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by Eastwinn
figures a genre so uninspired would land on the same melody twice.

your wrong&i hope angus young strike you down mister ! >:c

Quote by StewieSwan
Looks like Spirit has some bills to pay.

this

they are just mad because they didnt become super famous megastars like led zeppelin
banned
Meh.

Zeppelin version is more iconic and epic than this would've ever been.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Black Sabbath were better than Zeppelin anyway.
Last edited by lemmyisgod97 at May 21, 2014,
It's a similar guitar line, but not really much of a rip off if you ask me.

Why are they finally now suing 43 years too late?
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Why are they finally now suing 43 years too late?

Because they did a terrible job of retirement planning.

Stairway is so iconic that there's no way they didn't know about it before, everyone knows it's just a money grab.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
This is so ****ing stupid. It's a chromatically descending line. And it's only like 5 seconds long. That is the only similarity.
Hasn't this already been done to death?

You could also argue that "Is There Anybody Out There" by Pink Floyd is plagiarising it too, because they share a couple of notes in common in the same key......clutching at straws much?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at May 21, 2014,
If i didnt know someone was claiming plagiarism, i definitely wouldn't of been thinking stairway when i heard this.
Quote by sam b
Led Zeppelin are shit.

K.

The song does have a part that sounds indentical to the verse of stairway. It takes more than that.
There's a limited amount of notes, so it stands to reason that there are also a limited amount of melodies, particularly melodies that fit into a particular timing.

So it stands to reason that certain melodies will often be repeated.

Dr Charles Fairchild, an American author and senior lecturer in popular music, acknowledged a similarity in "about 10 seconds" of music but concluded the claim against Led Zeppelin was "unlikely to succeed".

"It seems to me that anyone claiming to have been the first person to have ever written this passage is making quite an ambitious claim. This passage is little more than a stock standard chord progression whose origins would be very difficult to determine. It also happens to be a very easy and satisfying thing to play on any guitar in standard tuning. There are probably a lot of other versions of it out there that would be equally similar." Dr Charles Fairchild.

This is kinda similar to when former Procol Harum organist Matthew Fisher filed suit in the High Court against Gary Brooker and his publisher, claiming that he co-wrote the music for their song 'Whiter Shade of Pale'. He won his case and was awarded 40% of the composers' share of the music copyright, but the fact is, his contribution was itself ripped off from Bach’s classic “Air On The G String,”
Quote by TheChaz
This is like 8000 years old.

The post is new but the 'news' the same, as it was so long ago

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't care what the people say I know where their jive is at
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Guys from Taurus be like "Been a long time since they stole our song. Let me get it back, let me get it back, Let me get it back..."

And then poor Jimmy be all sorry and he be like "no matter how I try, find my way into the same old jam"

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
People commenting that they did a poor job of retirement planning or that the guys from Taurus are after money...did they miss that the lawyer is acting on behalf of the guys estate? The guy is dead, it's not even him driving it. That's why it's so late, it's his family saying, wow he didn't leave us much but he wrote one of the most famous riffs in rock music history, he should have a fortune to leave us, let's get some off Led Zep.

I read years ago that Jimi heard it and asked him how it went, but that he was happy that they used it because Led Zep took it in a direction that he never would have considered and what they did with it was awesome. He was proud to have played a part in that but never considered it something to sue over.

But he's dead now. So I guess that's why it took so long to bring the suit. When he was alive he wouldn't have done it.

Personally I think that's the worst part. If they believe it was his creation then they should respect his wishes on the matter.

EDIT: oh wait he died 17 years ago. Still the case is not something that should be attributed to him but to lawyers and estate trustees. - Scumbags.
Si
when you get a bunch of ****ing music casuals to legislate on music stuff.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
An article on Rolling Stone says it took so long because Randy California's family didn't have money for an attorney.

I'm interested to see what Led Zep are going to do about this, they obviously heard Taurus and 'borrowed' part of it, but I don't know if it's enough to count as plagiarism.
Spirit toured with Led Zeppelin backed in the day. So yeah.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

It's pretty common knowledge that 80% of Led Zeppelin's catalog is blatant theft or uncredited borrowing. They ripped entire verses of lyrics from Willie Dixon in numerous songs. LZII had like two original songs on it.
Randy California had no problem with it while he was alive.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I believe there's a term for it in music theory (can't remember), but both of them are ripoffs of one of the most cliche classical/baroque designs there is.

The only thing that sets them apart from the other artists that use it is the recorders/flutes in the background and that's going to have a hard time standing up in court not to mention it's been 43 years...
Last edited by mjones1992 at May 21, 2014,
Hmm, they do sound sorta similar...quite similar actually. I love Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page is a supreme guitarist but if you listen to "Black Mountain Side" it sounds like a song from the earlier 60's, almost exact. It's unfortunate for me to admit, but there might have been some plagiarism going on, who knows. I don't think anyone has the right to cancel the reissuing though.
Quote by gypsywoman666
Hmm, they do sound sorta similar...quite similar actually. I love Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page is a supreme guitarist but if you listen to "Black Mountain Side" it sounds like a song from the earlier 60's, almost exact. It's unfortunate for me to admit, but there might have been some plagiarism going on, who knows. I don't think anyone has the right to cancel the reissuing though.

Everyone borrows from everyone else and Black Mountain Side is actually a folk standard.

Zep has a history of it, and I don't think their fame helps. Lemon Song, Bring It On Home, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and Whole Lotta Love are just the tip of the ice burg when it comes to songs they ripped off.

The thing is, was that it was a lot more accepted back then. I think it was either B.B. King or Bob Dylan that said something along the lines of that it was a sort of honor to have someone steal their idea and use it in a completely different way.

Nowadays we sue the shit out of people :-/
To be clear: as long as the song is in circulation (which it is) you can file suit.

I listened to the song. While there is a similarity there I would say calling it plagiarism is a huge stretch. I've listened to at least 10 songs people say Zep plagiarized and I didn't think any were a complete rip off. When the Levee Breaks was a great example, sure most of the words are the same from some 1928 blues song but the song itself sounded nothing like the 28' version.
Reminds me of when Tom Petty tried suing RHCP for Dani California or something like that.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Led Zeppelin, though I love them, were known for doings "covers" without accrediting the original artist. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You was some woman's sort-of operatic song from the 50s. Black Dog was an old southern blues song and they gave it a groove riff. There's really like a dozen different songs they did that with.

And I don't just mean that they sound 'sort of similar.' For a lot of songs they took the lyrics and everything.

It's not so much that they did it that's a problem as much as when asked if it was someone else's song they denied it. Wont stop me from enjoying their music, though.
Last edited by Seref at May 21, 2014,
Page 1 of 2