Page 1 of 2
Hi guys.

I'm a 25 year old guitarist and musician who has just started teaching guitar full time.
Since I am a new teacher I am constantly researching for more effective content for students, how to improve myself as a teacher, and ways to expand my business.

That's when I came across Tom Hess.

I might not need to explain who this guy is taking into consideration the countless negative posts I've read about him both on this site and others, but basically the dude is a self proclaimed "metal guitar virtuoso" (If you ask my opinion, considering the standard of virtuoso metal guitarists today, he's pretty average) and he claims to offer the best online guitar lessons off all time, but he also claims to offer the best business building and mentoring program for guitar teachers of all time.

I read this on his website, which if anyone has seen, is a shameless cornucopia of scammer style, hard selling advertisement, designed to make you feel like a worthless piece of trash who's only hope in this world is to sign up to one of his various courses and hand over your money. He even has a masterclass that (and I kid you not) claims to teach you solo's that are garenteed to ignite sexual passion in woman and make them fall in love with you! check out this link! It's riciculous! http://tomhess.net/GuitarSoloSex.aspx

Anyway, I was reading some of his advertisements about his guitar teaching course and free articles on the same subject. He has come up with this thing called The Elite Guitar Teachers Inner Circle and offers information on innovative lessons that will result in you making more money from less work, and ways to garentee more students will choose you over other teachers and stay with you.

It all seems pretty informative to most extents, but what I am sure of is that what Tom is selling here, inst new.

For example, one of the best ways to earn more money from less work teaching guitar is to give group lessons, this is common knowledge in the teaching world, the guitar teacher I learnt from use to do this very effectively, he would even encourage the group to come up with a band name and write their own songs, it was great, and he made a killing.

Also, ways to get more students and get free advertising is to offer free lessons, discounts or rewards if a current student refers a new student, this is text book customer loyalty marketing strategies that you could learn for free online.

Which brings me to my question, has anyone here taken Tom Hess's guitar teaching course? and if so, what does he teach?

Personally I don't want to hand a cent over to a guy who claims to teach you the secret notes that automatically get women in the mood! He's probably got enough money as it is, his advertisement is every where!
Every time you google guitar lessons or guitar teaching I swear to God he comes up as the first five options on the first page telling you that your worthless and will forever remain so unless you invest in is miracle courses, he's like the cancer of the guitar world!

Thanks for the feed back guys! any information about is guitar teaching courses and what he teaches would be brilliant!

PS. WATCH OUT FOR HIS MINIONS!!!
I'm not joking you! their are students of his who just appear out of no where on posts and start defending him! The truth of the matter is he offers free lessons and rewards to students who refer more students and who stick up for him online! no joke! watch out for this guy called Mike Philippov, he's always running to his aid!

Cheers.
I feel like I remember there was a thread here a while ago where someone said they bought his 'lessons on lessons'. Apparently it was a complete pisstake and he regretted it, and Tom completely screwed him over on getting a refund. If you were even considering it, please don't.
West Ham United
Tom Hess has actually written some lessons on UG but he's been permabanned. From what I hear, his students are technically very good but they all sound the same and have a very bland playing style.

And yeah, probably one of his students will show up in this thread in his defence. In the Musician Talk subforum at least, there's a "Why do people hate Tom Hess" thread once in a while, usually by someone who's just registered exclusively for that purpose.
i heard it's just standard practice and exercises.. but with a 'special' schedule telling you how many hours a day you should play it at a certain speed and after how many days you can add some BMP's

nothing you can't do on your own without some good music theory books.

and i'm pretty sure his 'minions' are actually employees of his propaganda & internet spam department.

**** Tom Hess
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Nah, most guitarists who have adept skill aren't boneheads and wont give into the guys scam. It's textbook and he follows the same site format as several "How to make women orgasm instantly" or "Make Millions in a year" kind of bullshit. Those who do manage to pay up for his garbage are unfortunate to have been led on by this form of advertising.

This is why Ultimate Guitar exists. We offer free lessons filled with user friendly tabs and on forum discussion to make sure you learn what you need to learn at a moments notice without feeling led on.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by sickman411
Tom Hess has actually written some lessons on UG but he's been permabanned. From what I hear, his students are technically very good but they all sound the same and have a very bland playing style.

And yeah, probably one of his students will show up in this thread in his defence. In the Musician Talk subforum at least, there's a "Why do people hate Tom Hess" thread once in a while, usually by someone who's just registered exclusively for that purpose.

Why was he permabanned?
He advertised a shit ton without consent of the forum administrators several times after being warned several times. Hes a no good crumb bum whose sole purpose is to pull profit from unsuspecting aspiring musicians looking for help on the internet.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Thanks for the replies everyone! Yeah the term "no good crumb bum" sums this guy up perfectly! haha.
And you guys are right, all of his stuff just looks like basic stuff you could learn anywhere repackaged to seem like a miracle course! The epitome of sleazy advertising!

But what about his course where he claims to make you a better guitar teacher with a higher income?
does any body know what that's all about? Does anyone know what he teaches in that course?

Cheers!
Quote by piratepete123

But what about his course where he claims to make you a better guitar teacher with a higher income?
does any body know what that's all about? Does anyone know what he teaches in that course?

Cheers!

he'll teach you how to be full of shit. then he'll teach you how to set up a website

(i have no idea actually but i assume it's something like that)
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=teachingandeducation

Free courses from MIT about teaching. I doubt anything Mr. Hess can teach you will surpass these professors. And as for a higher income you just need to be the best teacher, know how to network yourself, and just be business-savvy.

The internet is full of free knowledge, don't worry too much about what Tom Hess can teach you.
Haha! Yeah your right!

The only thing old Hessy can teach me is how to talk shit over the internet!
Who wants to hear a joke?

What's the biggest load of shit since Big Foot? The Loch HESS Monster!
Justinguitar , bro.

The lessons there are free, and great as far as my feeble, music illiterate mind can fathom. Plus the guy's handsome and has a great accent.

The motivation is up to you though. That is unless you're REALLY into handsome dudes with nice accents.

Also, for music theory, there are Lypur's videos on YouTube.

Not sure if he knows what he's talking about though, since the little theory I know is pretty much all from him, but there are 50 videos purely on theory alone. There are even tests and stuff to check your progress.

He also has some piano specific videos on another playlist.

These are all resources I'd use regularly if I weren't lazy.
Wubba lubba dub dub!
Haha, yeah I wont quite my day job! But maybe Tom Hess should.

Just read that other post... Hessy sounds like a total twat!
It makes me wonder why he's got any students at all.
I feel like the biggest lesson in guitar playing/music in general is how to identify those artless pricks who are far more concerned with selling themselves than they are producing unique and intriguing music.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by piratepete123

Cheers!
No but at a guess I'd say that he would expect you to give him a hefty chunk of change for the opportunity to jump through hoops before paying him more money to eventually be a part of his "inner circle jerk of elite teachers" thereby benefiting from his shameless promotion and working with the other sucker's he's conned as a unit to promote his method under the guise that it benefits you all.

It's likely that he has some standard methodology in regard to using guitar forums, "lessons" like the one's he's posted on this site, and seminars as ways of making people feel like they are making huge mistakes in the way they are learning/practicing and that there is a secret to getting good fast - but never actually providing anything beneficial in the lesson other than criticisms of all other teachers and a promise that your only hope for learning to properly play the guitar is to pay him or one of his croneys.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers

It's likely that he has some standard methodology in regard to using guitar forums, "lessons" like the one's he's posted on this site, and seminars as ways of making people feel like they are making huge mistakes in the way they are learning/practicing and that there is a secret to getting good fast - but never actually providing anything beneficial in the lesson other than criticisms of all other teachers and a promise that your only hope for learning to properly play the guitar is to pay him or one of his croneys.

Haha. It sounds like you have seen his shameless website aswell!
Did you sign up for the class that teaches you to make chicks cum from your guitar playing? I basically just threw my money at him when I saw that!
http://tomhess.net/GuitarSoloSex.aspx

Bahaha! What a joke! No amount of guitar playing could convince some chick to jump in the sack with that twat! He looks like a garden gnome! What a prat!
Seriously, You don't even need to play a guitar to get chicks to jump into bed with you... just holding one will do the job fine.
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
Quote by captainsnazz
I think TS is Tom Hess and is either going through a difficult patch in his life, or is trying a new completely retarded marketing strategy.

В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Well... here's the real story of Tom Hess:

Tom Hess was born to a rather middle-of-the-road family, figuratively and literally. They lived right smack dab in the middle of the road (not literally like on the road), at number 17 out of 33 houses on the road. Median income accountant parents, typical suburbia blah blah, cat and a dog, 11 year old station wagon, etc.

Really boring and uninteresting.

So because Tom was pretty boring, he was picked on in school. A lot. A lot. Spitballs, "kick me" signs, being pushed down the stair, having real nasty rumors spread, the whole nine yards.

Well, at around 11 years of age Tom had had enough. He got real mad one day and whacked a kid with his lunch box. This was back when they still had metal lunchboxes. And so naturally, he did some real damage. Kid was sent to the emergency room and his parents were super pissed.

Naturally, Tom was expelled and had to be homeschooled.

Around this time, Tom's parents got divorced. He moved with his mom out of town to a new town, and with it, a new start. In theory. But in practice...

You know how it is with new kids. Rumors, rumors, rumors. So within weeks, Tom was on the bullies' chopping block once again. Only this town was a bit dumpier and so the bullies there were real rough. Instead of the same old, Tom got some real beatings.

Naturally, it wasn't long before his mom pulled him out of school again for some more homeschooling.

It was at this point that Tom started to listen to rock music. Bands like Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, and Metallica were some of his favorites. Before long (early 1986), he got his first guitar and started to play.

He practiced and practiced, but even to this day he really has never gotten the hang of it. But back to the story.

It was not long until Tom started band with his local miscreants playing the music that he loved so much. Tom's skills on the guitar were just passable to sort of get by. Before long, Tom joined the school battle of the bands to show all those jerks just how cool he was.

Long story short, they were awful.

However, kids are stupid. Naturally nobody in his former school knew enough to realize just how poor his band really was, and so they loved it. Suddenly, Tom Hess was the coolest kid in town, and he was able to go back to school.

Eventually he graduated high school. With no real direction, he turned to drugs and was soon kicked out of the house. With no money or real friends, he decided to try his luck teaching guitar lessons to stupid high school kids that liked bands with shitty guitar playing. Because of this, nobody ever realized how bad of a guitar teacher he was.

And the is the story with Tom Hess and don't let anyway tell you otherwise.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Its funny 'cos I saw another post somewhere were a poster thought the OP was actually Tom Hess trying to "reverse market" himself personally! haha.

I can assure you I'm not him, I'm certain of this because I don't sit around counting money all day and I don't look like one of the seven dwarfs!

I'm just an aspiring guitar teacher trying not to get scammed out the arse like everyone else.
Quote by captainsnazz
I think TS is Tom Hess and is either going through a difficult patch in his life, or is trying a new completely retarded marketing strategy.

TS

T Ess

T Hess

Tom Hess

Quote by piratepete123
Its funny 'cos I saw another post somewhere were a poster thought the OP was actually Tom Hess trying to "reverse market" himself personally! haha.

I can assure you I'm not him, I'm certain of this because I don't sit around counting money all day and I don't look like one of the seven dwarfs!

I'm just an aspiring guitar teacher trying not to get scammed out the arse like everyone else.

That's just what Tom Hess would say in this situation.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Well... here's the real story of Tom Hess:

Tom Hess was born to a rather middle-of-the-road family, figuratively and literally. They lived right smack dab in the middle of the road (not literally like on the road), at number 17 out of 33 houses on the road. Median income accountant parents, typical suburbia blah blah, cat and a dog, 11 year old station wagon, etc.

Really boring and uninteresting.

So because Tom was pretty boring, he was picked on in school. A lot. A lot. Spitballs, "kick me" signs, being pushed down the stair, having real nasty rumors spread, the whole nine yards.

Well, at around 11 years of age Tom had had enough. He got real mad one day and whacked a kid with his lunch box. This was back when they still had metal lunchboxes. And so naturally, he did some real damage. Kid was sent to the emergency room and his parents were super pissed.

Naturally, Tom was expelled and had to be homeschooled.

Around this time, Tom's parents got divorced. He moved with his mom out of town to a new town, and with it, a new start. In theory. But in practice...

You know how it is with new kids. Rumors, rumors, rumors. So within weeks, Tom was on the bullies' chopping block once again. Only this town was a bit dumpier and so the bullies there were real rough. Instead of the same old, Tom got some real beatings.

Naturally, it wasn't long before his mom pulled him out of school again for some more homeschooling.

It was at this point that Tom started to listen to rock music. Bands like Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, and Metallica were some of his favorites. Before long (early 1986), he got his first guitar and started to play.

He practiced and practiced, but even to this day he really has never gotten the hang of it. But back to the story.

It was not long until Tom started band with his local miscreants playing the music that he loved so much. Tom's skills on the guitar were just passable to sort of get by. Before long, Tom joined the school battle of the bands to show all those jerks just how cool he was.

Long story short, they were awful.

However, kids are stupid. Naturally nobody in his former school knew enough to realize just how poor his band really was, and so they loved it. Suddenly, Tom Hess was the coolest kid in town, and he was able to go back to school.

Eventually he graduated high school. With no real direction, he turned to drugs and was soon kicked out of the house. With no money or real friends, he decided to try his luck teaching guitar lessons to stupid high school kids that liked bands with shitty guitar playing. Because of this, nobody ever realized how bad of a guitar teacher he was.

And the is the story with Tom Hess and don't let anyway tell you otherwise.

LMAO!
Quote by piratepete123
Just found this post explaining how the c*nt got banned from this site!
What a pisser!
Bald prick!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1604526&page=1&pp=20&highlight=tom+hess

You must really be pissed off that they banned you even though you posted such an insightful article on why not to take lessons from you.
The problem with Tom Hess isn't that he's wrong in his methods necessarily. (Although, his methods seem to only cater towards shred, from what I've seen.) It's that he's very slimy in his dealings and has an over-inflated opinion of himself and his methods. Most of what he teaches can be learned (for significantly less, I should add) from other sources. It's not as if he's teaching anything new or revolutionary, but he ACTS like he is.

And that's a problem. He basically preys on ignorant young guitar players who want to get "good" quickly. And if you don't like his lessons, after the first lesson or two, you're SOL.
Quote by captainsnazz

yeah thats what i think too
banned
We should just start a petition to have Tom Hess banned from teaching lessons.
Page 1 of 2