Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my amp and so I'm looking to sell my old head and put the money towards an M U L T I E F F E C T S P E D A L!!!!

Yeah, I toyed with the idea of going for one for a long time and I just think it'll be the best option for me right now. As much as I would like to buy individual stomp boxes, it would financially brake me as student! I reckon I could get close to £300 for my old head, and I'd be willing to pay like an extra £100 to get something decent. So my price range is up to £400.

What i must stress is that I'm looking for real quality sound. Yes, I know, it's one or the other one it comes to multi fx pedals but I'd rather the scale be tipped towards more quality sound than 'every effect under the sun that you can think of'.

Ideally I'd like:
To be able to use the 4 cable method (Certain effects go in to the front of the amp, other effects go in to FX loop)
To be able to use my own pedals with it
For it to have an expression pedal. Or, the ability to connect one.
The ability to turn off amp modelling, and utilise the tone of my tube amp
To at least have the standard effects i.e. It's all good having yah yah but that's not as vital as having a good delay, or mod, or reverb etc.
The ability for 'Stompbox mode' and 'Patch/Preset mode'

Yeah, I know. I'm asking for a lot XD I was looking at the TC Electronic Nova System but the lack of the four cable method slightly concerns me, although I already have a Dist/drive pedals so I guess it could solely be used in the FX Loop? It sounds amazing in my opinion but I'm just trying to get the general gist of the sacrifices/advantages/disadvantages that come with certain Multi FX pedals.

I'd be grateful if you guys could suggest some good Multi FX pedals that you have personally used and recommend, and maybe some that are not so well known but are great! It seems Boss and it's normal rivals dominate this market.

Also, could anyone vouch for the TC Nova system? It's looking like a good start point for me, but I'd like to look at other options.

Thanks!
Don't know if it does 4CM, but the Zoom G5 is one of the best pedals out there for everything else.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Don't know if it does 4CM, but the Zoom G5 is one of the best pedals out there for everything else.

I don't believe it does. Certainly the G3X doesn't and the G5 is just a bit bigger G3X.
The RP1000 or the HD500 are your best bet. The RP1000 has two loops, one for your pedals and one for your amp. The HD500 only has one loop. The HD500 loop can be placed anywhere in the chain. The RP1000 amp loop switches between the amp loop and the amp model. The RP1000 stomp loop can be placed before or after the amp model. A used RP1000 should run around $200 and it's a very rugged unit. A used HD500 should come in under $300.
I've used a DigiTech RP500 live for over 5 years. The RP1000 must be at least as good and suit your needs.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Vox Tonelab LE is worth a look. I have used one for several years and find it very flexible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3pF4Srgj5k
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 23, 2014,
I'd also have to say the HD500. The fact that you can place the effects loop anywhere you want in the chain makes it pretty versatile.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
I'd recommend the HD500 too, it's really versatile and on the top of the market in multi-fx pedals. Best you can get for that money imo.
Quote by fly135
The RP1000 or the HD500 are your best bet. The RP1000 has two loops, one for your pedals and one for your amp. The HD500 only has one loop. The HD500 loop can be placed anywhere in the chain. The RP1000 amp loop switches between the amp loop and the amp model. The RP1000 stomp loop can be placed before or after the amp model. A used RP1000 should run around $200 and it's a very rugged unit. A used HD500 should come in under $300.

Ok, pretty much everyone seems to agree on the HD500. I was looking at the RP1000 but a lot of people personally thought that the tones/sound was lacking in it. Also, not sure if I like the idea of Line 6, guys. It's a brand I've never been keen on. I've got a bad impression of them from somewhere. I'll have to look into the HD500.

Keep the suggestions coming! At the minute, it's looking like the potential candidates are the TC Nova, RP1000 and possibly the HD500 if I like the sounds of it. I'm slightly scared that I'll get too much of a digitally processed sound though. That will probably be the case with any Multi FX but I'd like to avoid that as much as I possibly can.
The advantage of the HD500 is the flexibility of placement of FX. It also has some fancier FX than the RP1000. Line 6 is a good company, but I don't think the HD500 is a rugged as the RP1000. Also having two loops is pretty important if you want to do both 4CM and have individual pedals in a loop. The looper on the HD500 is 60 sec vs 20 on the RP1000.

WRT the RP1000 being lacking in tones, I think that may be too much of a blanket statement. The RP1000 is capable of producing good tones, but if you read the manuals you will see the HD500 has more stuff that you may or may not find useful. One tip... no matter which you pick may sure that you explore the cab models and how they interact with your amp. Cab modeling does some pretty extreme EQing on your tone, and if you overlook the cab modeling you may have trouble dialing in a good sound.
I will recommend the HD500 as well. Or the 500X if you can get it used for that much. The 500X is a little more rugged and has more processing power. I run mine 4 cable method and love using my amp's preamp as an EQ. The Soldano and Uberschall models are spot on too. They're the only 2 I use.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
i am pretty much echoing the crowd, but HD500 or HD500x.

line 6 got their bad rep from the spiders. they have always been shit and pretty much still are.

one nice thing about the line 6 HD is that you can use it as a recording interface.

also look at 11 rack.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Also started looking into rack mounted effects, mainly the TC G Major 2, Digitech GSP1101 with their own floor controllers. Considering the G Major because it mainly deals in the effects I need: comp, eq, noise gate, delay, mod, filter, pitch... Then again, I remember my guitar teacher having the GSP1101 with the 'Control 2' unit for it and I really liked it. Also, kind of considering the Boss Gt-100, although I'm really not sure about this one. Something tells me it wouldn't be right. Thoughts on the sounds of these? It's really tough!

Possible options at the moment:
Digitech RP1000
TC Nova System
TC G Major 2 (Withh Midi Controller)
Digitech GSP1101 (And Floor Controller)
Boss GT-100
Line 6 HD (Not looking likely)
look into Eleven Rack. Quite impressive quite cheap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by FrooFender
Ok, pretty much everyone seems to agree on the HD500. I was looking at the RP1000 but a lot of people personally thought that the tones/sound was lacking in it. Also, not sure if I like the idea of Line 6, guys. It's a brand I've never been keen on. I've got a bad impression of them from somewhere. I'll have to look into the HD500.

I used (still have, but no longer use) a TC Electronics G system.

Get over the "idea of Line 6." Everyone loves to hate them because they put out over a million of those cheap little Spider beginner amps. The good news for me is that I never had one of them, so my impression remains untainted.

I've got three Variax (on the lookout for a Variax 705 modeling bass) guitars, a bunch of the Pods. You'll want to ignore any of the factory presets and delve into some of the better internet sources for sound tweaking (check out the CustomTone website linked on the Line 6 site). There's a .pdf from a guy named Meambobbo that gives some insights into minimizing any semblance of the "digital" sound, etc.

If you get to a point where you're using the Pods as a recording input or as a live performance input running direct into PA systems or other full-range speaker systems, you might want to try using the Pod with a Torpedo C.A.B. (cabinet and power amp IRs). I think it fixes what weak spots there are in the current Pods.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
look into Eleven Rack. Quite impressive quite cheap.

I liked the 11R when it first came out, but it seems to be a largely orphaned product (no significant updates, no updated anything for a product that's become a bit long in tooth). It works well with ProTools, but by the time you buy a foot controller and a rack box for it, the cost (and size) as a piece for live playing has gone up considerably. As a new product, it's not particularly cheap (around $900?), though you can find used ones for half that.
Last edited by dspellman at May 22, 2014,
Quote by FrooFender
Also started looking into rack mounted effects, mainly the TC G Major 2, Digitech GSP1101 with their own floor controllers. Considering the G Major because it mainly deals in the effects I need: comp, eq, noise gate, delay, mod, filter, pitch... Then again, I remember my guitar teacher having the GSP1101 with the 'Control 2' unit for it and I really liked it. Also, kind of considering the Boss Gt-100, although I'm really not sure about this one. Something tells me it wouldn't be right. Thoughts on the sounds of these? It's really tough!

Possible options at the moment:
Digitech RP1000
TC Nova System
TC G Major 2 (Withh Midi Controller)
Digitech GSP1101 (And Floor Controller)
Boss GT-100
Line 6 HD (Not looking likely)

Just to toss a couple more things into the mix. Take a look at the footboards for all of these. I have an Axe-FX Ultra with their $750 recommended MIDI controller. When using the thing live, you need an AC outlet up front and a pair of fairly expensive guitar cables ranging across the stage even if you're using a wireless. You have whatever capacitance issues there are, etc.

With a Pod HD bean or HD pro rack mount, the foot controller is relatively inexpensive (about $200 for the FBV Shortboard) and there are no AC bricks and no guitar cables running from your backline to the front just to run the unit. The Pod controller connects via a relatively cheap ethernet cable and gets its power from that as well. If you're running a wireless, you need a short cable from the wireless unit (usually in the same rack as the Pod) to the pod and that's it. With any of the other units, you still need two guitar cables running back and forth from wireless to controller and from controller to the rack. I dunno where you play, but keeping AC and guitar cables out of the way makes sense to me.

If you gig, consider, too, what your back up system is. In my case, it's usually been a second complete system (another footboard plus the same electronics suite). Run the numbers and see what that would cost you. Buying two Pod HDs (when they were $199 each) and a pair of shortboards cost me about what the Axe-FX's MIDI controller was all by itself, and by the time I added just a single expression pedal to the Axe Controller, it was more than the complete system with backup for the Pod.
To go into a slightly different direction, have you ever used a multi effect pedal? It works great for some people, but not for all. Personally, I have own two different multi effect pedals in the past (a BOSS and a DIGITECH) and I always end up not using them and selling them because dialing in the sound takes too much time (essentially, too many buttons to tweak). If you want to emphasize sound quality, and not the number of options, why not individual pedals? You could get a couple good ones with your budget.
Quote by helies
To go into a slightly different direction, have you ever used a multi effect pedal? It works great for some people, but not for all. Personally, I have own two different multi effect pedals in the past (a BOSS and a DIGITECH) and I always end up not using them and selling them because dialing in the sound takes too much time (essentially, too many buttons to tweak). If you want to emphasize sound quality, and not the number of options, why not individual pedals? You could get a couple good ones with your budget.

+1. Just to show another angle. In my playing time I've gone mfx> seperate pedals> mfx (sold the pedals)> and now starting to grow my pedal collection again while the mfx just gathers dust. From my experience, seperate pedals are simply better sounding and more versatile. I probably won't be going back to mfx except for headphone practice, the g3 I have makes any amp I plug into sound like ass (being honest with myself here. I love the g3, but the live sound is just awful no matter what I tweak. I sound much better now that I leave the g3 at home).

And for the cost of an hd500x you can get 3-6 good pedals, thus having "multiple effects".

There's pros and cons both ways but imo the cons of seperate pedals is trumped by the fact they sound better (to my ears).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
+1. Just to show another angle. In my playing time I've gone mfx> seperate pedals> mfx (sold the pedals)> and now starting to grow my pedal collection again while the mfx just gathers dust. From my experience, seperate pedals are simply better sounding and more versatile. I probably won't be going back to mfx except for headphone practice, the g3 I have makes any amp I plug into sound like ass (being honest with myself here. I love the g3, but the live sound is just awful no matter what I tweak. I sound much better now that I leave the g3 at home).

And for the cost of an hd500x you can get 3-6 good pedals, thus having "multiple effects".

There's pros and cons both ways but imo the cons of seperate pedals is trumped by the fact they sound better (to my ears).

well put. sound quality to convenience.

i don't have a large board, but i have a 10 year old korg toneworks AX1500G MFX if i was desperate.

also people don't put their pedals routed. once i get my board finished (not a major priority atm) but i will build a few loop pedals with multiple switches to turn to get groups to act together, aby boxes at well. easy to build and cheap. just jacks switches and enclosures.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by lucky1978

Yep. HD500 Costs over £400. For that you could easily get a pedal based tuner, a decent overdrive, delay and reverb then something like a Line 6 M5 to fill in the gaps for your modulation needs.

If you went used youd get changed from your £400 an all
Avoid Line 6. If anything goes wrong with it, you're just screwed. They're useless.

I'm in the same boat as you - I actually already have a Line 6 M13 that messed up within about a month of buying it, I got no help at all with it, for some reason it started working again, then it messed up (different problem) and now I've just had to pay for it to be repaired.
I plan on selling it ASAP or swapping it for a Boss GT-100.
I've played a GT-10 and a ME-50 in the past, and thought the sounds were great, which is all I'm after, GT-100 has improved on those sounds apparently, sounds awesome on youtube to me..

I was tossing up between the ME-80 and the GT-100.. the ME-80 has the same sounds but no amp modelling, if you've just bought an amp you're happy with, check the ME-80 out.
They look like they're extremely user-friendly - it's all knobs basically, no menus or anything.

The GT-100 has everything the ME-80 does and more, but it's more in-depth/complex with what you can do and therefore requires some time to get the exact sounds you want, I think if you've got a little spare time, the GT-100 is your best bet.
If you want to just plug in and tweak a bit then play, ME-80 should be considered.. no 4CM with the ME-80 though. So maybe not.

..I'd advise not bothering with the RP1000 or the Zoom G5. They feel like toys, like they're fake.. no real depth to them either.. the G5 has some nice sounds, but something about them feels fake/toyish (as stupid as that is, considering we're talking about MFX)..
I have a Line 6 M5. It was randomly muting the audio. I contacted Line 6 and they sent me a new power supply. That did not fix the problem so they gave me an RMA and I got another sent to me that works fine. I did not have any problems with Line 6 support. If you reported the issue before the warranty ran out then it should have been covered even after the warranty period if you were still actively trying to get the issue resolved.

The ME-80 does have amp models. Not sure why you think it doesn't.

The RP1000 is nothing like a toy in feel or sound. It's a rugged unit that can provide good tones. If anything it's the opposite of toyish. If you can't put into words what makes the G5 seem toyish then what good is your opinion about it. It might feel like a toy because it doesn't have direct access to banks and presets without doing a press and hold to change modes. It should have a dedicated switch to toggle between stomp and preset mode.

Bottom line is that the difference between pedals and multifx is what you can make of it. Some people are capable of dialing in great tones with almost any multifx unit. Getting a multifx to match up with the rest of your gear (amp, cab, and guitar) is more difficult than pedals. One reason is because there are so many options that must be explored in a multifx. The other is that it seems the range of tones in a particular setting seem more constrained than with pedals. For example (and this is just my personal observation), it seems that setting something like gain in an amp model or distortion stomp on a multifx has a smaller range of "good" settings than it does on a pedal or amp. So rather than just dialing the gain way up or down to change tones is not as effective as switching to another pedal or amp model get the desired effect. This makes it harder to achieve your goals because you have to understand the more options available since each option has less than it's modeled equivalent.
i want a mobius.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!