Page 1 of 2
With the help of jalbals, CodeMonk and Dave_mc.

I'm not sure what to expect, picking it up tomorrow.

I feel kind of uncomfortable knowing that I've ordered a model amp, which is different from most other amps out there, and it has less settings i.e. treble, bass etc.

But people say it's good, so I'll trust.
Nice Let us know what you think when you get it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Everything I know about Vypyrs is that they're the most badass low-end amps out there. I'm sure you'll like it
what do you play, music-wise?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
what do you play, music-wise?

I'm a total professional, been playing for 12 years now.

My music range is pretty complicated, ranging from Smoke On The Water SINGLE CHORD to the James Bond Theme tune, SINGLE CHORD

However, I intend to play AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Nickelback, 3DG, The Police, The Beatles, WWE Theme Songs (love lots of them)

Now I know lots of this is heavy rock/metal which the Vypyr supports better, but some bands like The Police and The Beatles, are supported by the Vox Valvetronix better.

However, I made the decision based on the majority, and I'm sure that the Vypyr VIP 1 can't be THAT BAD playing the softer stuff, just not as good as the Valvetronix VT 20+
I've owned the Vox and played several Vypyrs. I honestly prefer the Vypyr, the Vox had alright cleans but they revved to sound similar to me. it did distorted sounds alright.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
The Vypyr has a Fender Twin setting which is what I use for the cleaner (Beatles etc.) type stuff.
Haven't tried any Police tunes with it but It will probably do that alright.
I mainly use the Plexi setting for most of the harder stuff. Mainly Maiden, Sabbath, Zeppelin, early Def Leppard, and Rush or course and the like.

I haven't used any pedal with it, as I haven't found the need to.
I sometimes used OD pedals with the Valvetronix.

Like I said before, the Vypyr does the heavier stuff much better than the Vox does IMO.
Last edited by CodeMonk at May 22, 2014,
It's here.

Just starting to use it, already seems better than my old amp.

However, I can't quite figure out how to use the tuner.
It says hold for tuner, I hold it and all of the lights go off until I press the button again
Wow nevermind, it's working, I'm just blind.

And so the journey begins.....

*doesn't know where to start*
Nevermind... it's not working... all the LEDs are off when I go into tuner mode, when I pluck strings, no lights show up under the int/stop options or the amplifier options ring..
Glad you like it better than your current amp

Not sure about the tuner thing. hopefully some of the other regulars who are familiar with it can help. the peavey site seems to be down currently so i can't download the manual
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Now it's being ******ed, it's calling me Large (low pitched) Open E string an A1 string...

And the int/stop circle of LEDs are having an epileptive fit, switching all over the place... uhhhhh helpp
do you have another tuner? just to be sure that you are in tune ok (i'm sure you are, just checking).

it's always frustrating with new gear because you don't know if you're just doing something silly or if it genuinely is faulty. I've had new stuff before where i suspected something was wrong but wasn't 100% sure.

I'll see if i can get any of the other regulars in here to help
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you have another tuner? just to be sure that you are in tune ok (i'm sure you are, just checking).

it's always frustrating with new gear because you don't know if you're just doing something silly or if it genuinely is faulty. I've had new stuff before where i suspected something was wrong but wasn't 100% sure.

I'll see if i can get any of the other regulars in here to help

I'm going insane, already thinking that my amp isn't good enough, but I may just be being stupid, and that my guitar isn't in tune, or my amp settings aren't right.

I turned all my gain to the max, but it still doesn't sound "electric" enough.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, I'm using BYPASS and also Classic amp.

Well, I just found the 6505 amp, which is significantly more electricy. Wow... that word xD

I'm assuming that I just need to mess around with the settings

As for the site vypersettings.fr IT HAS MALWARE, so I'm not too sure about going on that
Last edited by JediArron at May 22, 2014,
Are you sure you're using it right? It should have tons of gain. You might be bypassing the modelling or something like that (or it might just be faulty). Take a step back and read the manual and don't do anything until you've done that- modelling amps are sometimes quite complicated. You can turn certain features on and off etc. and if you have the amp modelling or whatever turned off because you're using the tuner then it'll just be a basic clean tone.

(I apologise if that sounds patronising, I don't mean it to be.)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Are you sure you're using it right? It should have tons of gain. You might be bypassing the modelling or something like that (or it might just be faulty). Take a step back and read the manual and don't do anything until you've done that- modelling amps are sometimes quite complicated. You can turn certain features on and off etc. and if you have the amp modelling or whatever turned off because you're using the tuner then it'll just be a basic clean tone.

(I apologise if that sounds patronising, I don't mean it to be.)

Nah, I think it's just my inexperience of not knowing how much gain is lots.

I tried to make it sound like 7 nation army but it doesn't sound like that, maybe because I'm not sure what settings I'm using.

I skimmed through the manual, but need to re-read over the inst/stomp and amplifier options again, to know which options to use for what.
Holy Shit, I Just Tuned My Guitar By A Mobile Phone Amp And The First Few Chords Sound Really Good, Compared To Before, Where Compared To Marty's Video, They Sounded Different, Especially The G String (ye Ladies, G String) Now It Sounds So Much Better, And Im Using Headphones As It's Late At Night And The 6505 Amp... Not Sure If It's Right Or Not But It Sounds Good
Quote by JediArron
Nah, I think it's just my inexperience of not knowing how much gain is lots.

I tried to make it sound like 7 nation army but it doesn't sound like that, maybe because I'm not sure what settings I'm using.

I skimmed through the manual, but need to re-read over the inst/stomp and amplifier options again, to know which options to use for what.

If you're trying to get a 7 nation army tone, then you shouldn't be maxing the gain on anything. If anything, that tone is pretty clean with a slight dirty tone going.

The lead tone (for the solo) is pretty gainy but it also sounds like it has a fuzz and he's deffo using the neck pickup.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Wow, I can play Smoke on the water in powerchords, I struggle and play it slowly, but with the red setting I can really notice the powerchords sounding decent (not amazing, because I'm new to playing powerchords, but the potential for amazing is there with this amp...) holy shit
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you're trying to get a 7 nation army tone, then you shouldn't be maxing the gain on anything. If anything, that tone is pretty clean with a slight dirty tone going.

The lead tone (for the solo) is pretty gainy but it also sounds like it has a fuzz and he's deffo using the neck pickup.

You did not just mention "solo" in relation to me..
Oh my god, even the james bond theme tune sounds proper now with the properly tuned strings...

OMG I LOVE MY LIFE

I LOVE YOU ALL, although I still have some problems with the amp tuner and the settings for certain songs, BUT STILL I AM HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I NEVER THOUGHT ANYTHING I COULD DO WITH THIS PRICE WOULD MAKE ME THIS HAPPY

Now to figure out all the settings......

Edit: Another problem >_>

When I put the green light on, the sound is significantly quieter, and the orange light is pretty quiet too, but louder than the green, only when I put the red light on, is the sound loud through my headphones (and the same applies without my headphones plugged in)
Last edited by JediArron at May 22, 2014,
The owner's manual and the Peavey forum will be your new best friends......aside from your new amp.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Glad you're enjoying it

I think the green light/orange light/red light thing is probably slightly different settings for the same amp model (or something like that, maybe different channels from the same amp model) so if the volumes are different that's probably normal, I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
take your time and don't expect to nail a bunch of tones on your first day. lots to learn with that amp for sure. keep in mind that many songs use different tunings so they may not sound the same if you aren't using that tuning.
Quote by monwobobbo
take your time and don't expect to nail a bunch of tones on your first day. lots to learn with that amp for sure. keep in mind that many songs use different tunings so they may not sound the same if you aren't using that tuning.

Good point.

Let the journey begin
Dude, read the manual! Haha
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Dude, read the manual! Haha

I sorta did and my tuner isn't working as the manual describes.

I understand the settings better, though, but not specifically per song, as it doesn't give that, and the site that does vypyrsettings.fr has a virus.
I don't have the VIP but I do have a VYPYR75. I wouldn't worry about the tuner problem (as long as that's the only problem), I never use the one on mine. It's real touchy and the lights bounce all over the place. Not the real selling point of the amp anyway. You're right about the VYPYR settings site. My browser detected malware and didn't let me in too.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Quote by JediArron
I'm a total professional, been playing for 12 years now.

My music range is pretty complicated, ranging from Smoke On The Water SINGLE CHORD to the James Bond Theme tune, SINGLE CHORD

However, I intend to play AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Nickelback, 3DG, The Police, The Beatles, WWE Theme Songs (love lots of them)

Now I know lots of this is heavy rock/metal which the Vypyr supports better, but some bands like The Police and The Beatles, are supported by the Vox Valvetronix better.

However, I made the decision based on the majority, and I'm sure that the Vypyr VIP 1 can't be THAT BAD playing the softer stuff, just not as good as the Valvetronix VT 20+

Am I missing the sarcasm??
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Ahah now I feel dumb.
Quote by chip46
Quote by JediArron
I sorta did and my tuner isn't working as the manual describes.

Apologies for probably insulting your intelligence, but are you playing one string at a time as you tune? Again, just checking.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
1. Congrats on your new amp. Fun piece of kit
2. I have a Vypyr 60. It is the best Vypyr.
3. Never played a VIP version
4. If the amp seems flaky return it for a new one
5. Some of the earlier Vypyrs were flaky
6. Peavey does offer firmware upgrades
7. Read the manual
8. Read the manual a second time
9. Profit???
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
1. Congrats on your new amp. Fun piece of kit
2. I have a Vypyr 60. It is the best Vypyr.
3. Never played a VIP version
4. If the amp seems flaky return it for a new one
5. Some of the earlier Vypyrs were flaky
6. Peavey does offer firmware upgrades
7. Read the manual
8. Read the manual a second time
9. Profit???

Too easy. Why read?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Apologies for probably insulting your intelligence, but are you playing one string at a time as you tune? Again, just checking.

No worries, no need to apologize.

I am, and I've tried turning it off and on and I've even tried adjusting the volume.
Page 1 of 2