I think the title says it all. Pros and cons of both? Which one would you pick and why?
Last edited by xMusicGirlx at May 22, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020

Okay, but why do you think the Gibson LP Studio is better? I mean, the Epi has all Gibson hardware.. You see, I'm more curious to know why you would prefer one to another than just to know which one you'd pick. (:
once you get past the name on the headstock stigma the world is your oyster.

but more times than not the poster of threads like these comes across a realization that they will ultimately only be happy with a gibson.

does epi make good guitars, yes.

it's cost vs value here mostly, some will tell you the lowest end gibson isn't worth the money it took to build it, others will harp on epiphones being made in china. etc etc.

never stops.

outside of the "gibson family of brands" plenty of companies make great "les paul esque" guitars.

i prefer old tokai and newer bacchus les pauls, made in japan, because that's where i feel like the cost vs value peaks. over a certain point and you aren't getting the best bang for the buck. you're paying the headstock tax.

but that's just my .02.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 21, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020

but more times than not the poster of threads like these comes across a realization that they will ultimately only be happy with a gibson.

it's cost vs value here mostly, some will tell you the lowest end gibson isn't worth the money it took to build it, others will harp on epiphones being made in china. etc etc.

never stops.

outside of the "gibson family of brands" plenty of companies make great "les paul esque" guitars.

i prefer old tokai and newer bacchus les pauls, made in japan, because that's where i feel like the cost vs value peaks. over a certain point and you aren't getting the best bang for the buck. you're paying the headstock tax.

but that's just my .02.

Yes!

I'd say the Epi Tribute is defo better value for money but it depends weather you want quantity or quality imo.Both guitars are nice.The Epi has much more to offer as far as features but the build quality will be better on the Gibo.Also,Will you be satisfied with a guitar that says Epiphone on the headstock?
Quote by gregs1020

never stops.

but that's just my .02.

+1 (also i haven't tried the tribute... or bacchuses. but i've tried several MIJs)

if you won't be happy unless it says gibson, get a gibson. they make good guitars (at least if you get a good one).

if you don't care, try as many different things as you can, and see what you like. you may still end up with a gibson, and that's ok. it's also ok if you don't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd personally go with the Tribute+. My Tribute+ is equal in quality to the lower priced Gibson Studios I've tried IMHO, and at least equal to the two Gibsons I've got. But try to play everything, if possible, so you can decide which might be right for you. The necks aren't the same on the T+ and Studios, so one may be "wrong" for you, or it might not matter.
Along the same lines as the other replies, I go to extremes. It is either the real deal, junkers that I have fixed up myself, or old Japanese - Because all have mojo of one kind ot another. Under no circumstances would I buy an Epi, because Gibson turned a proud name into an importer brand.
The Tribute's main selling point seems to be that it has Gibson pickups. The Gibson Studio has Gibson pickups (shocking!) as well as Gibson... everything else.

IMHO, Epiphones have more of a 'plastic' feel to their finishes. I don't know if it's the different glosses/finishes, but I prefer the feel of a Gibson. I was very strongly considering picking up an Epiphone recently but just couldn't get past the fact my Gibson LP Studio feels better in my hands, even if it isn't as cosmetically appealing.

That being said, I played a Tribute in the store and it sounded great, and I've read plenty of rave reviews on it. You're not losing out on either. Go with the one that feels best to you.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at May 21, 2014,
One of the guys on MLP (Malikon) has an R8 (on borrow). He's also got an Epiphone that he owns. He's totally in love with that particular R8. He says, "Okay, I admit it, this Gibson is better than my Epiphone. Not by a whole lot, but it is definitely better. " On the other hand, he notes that he's tried a ton of R-series Guitars and this one particular one seems better than the others that he's tried.

He also notes that his Epiphone is better than all of the cheaper Gibsons that he's tried. And he notes that the R8 is over $4K. I've sort of maintained that if you want a Gibson that really reflects what Gibson has been all about over the years, you'll be spending more than $3500 and it will be a Custom Shop instrument. Malikon agrees. Neither of us would pick a random Gibson Studio over a really good Epiphone, but I've spent $4K to get an Axcess that I liked -- and I spent the additional money for a fret glue and a complete PLEK job to get it to play as it should, and it's got an aftermarket German Schaller OFR rather than the Korean that it came with, and it's got a larger brass sustain block on that. Oh, and every bit of other hardware (including the pickups) was shaken out of it and replaced. And now I'm happy.
Buy the Epi

If it has the same pickups as the Gibson, with the Gibson you'll be just buying the name for 2x the price. Makes no sense, especially if you are a cork-sniffer. Gibson Studio? No real Gibson fan would be caught owning THAT!

I actually just pulled the trigger on an Epi Custom Pro, btw, NGD for me tomorrow. Not really concerned that it's MiC. If the Chinese managed to invent gun powder while we were still throwing rocks at each other, I am sure they can put guitar parts together just fine
Well, first of all I really don't care at all about the name on the headstock. One of my favorite guitarists definitely has the money to afford a Gibson but he sure rocks Epiphones (he just replaces the stock pups w/ Gibson Classic 57s). So I really have nothing against Epis. For me, it's just about value for money...

Anyway, I'm going to try them out anyway but before I do so, I'd like to have some feedback of people who know quite a bit about these guitars (:
The T+ has a thinner neck than most Gibson Studios. Soundwise the T+ and my Raw Power Studio are similar (both have 57 Classic pickups), but the RP being all maple made it a bit brighter.

The Gibsons are usually chambered, which can make them lighter and possibly louder acoustically. The T+ is solid.

T+ will have a much more durable finish that won't dissolve if you accidentally put it on the wrong bit of plastic or foam.

All in all, if you aren't worried about name on the headstock the T+ is just as good as a Gibson Studio in performance and quality from what I can tell.