I've been learning a lot of songs and Everytime I play they sound to high pitched and not as nice like quite harsh. I don't know if it's my strumming technique or the soft pick or the really thin string. I just want a deeper nicer sound and not a high pitch one. If I play wonderwall the high strings ring out louder and it just sounds bad.

Even in simple songs like accidentally in love by counting crows it just don't sound right. It's the chord changes when I strum strings separate they all ring clearly. I use my thumb to mute unwanted strings. I found it come naturally as I have big hands. I don't have perfect hand position as most people go on about bit it doesn't affect my changes.

Any advice on how to get the sound I'm after would be appreciated. (It is a cheap guitar I have ernie ball strings the thinnest ones.
Well guitar tone comes with the guitar. Try going to a guitar store and playing on other guitars and see how they sound compared. Also a thinner pick like a nylon pick will have a "crisper" sound with more treble and a thicker pick will have a more rounded off sound. Make sure your tuning is correct. Not sharp. Good luck with it
I would suggest trying heavier strings. Heavy strings drives the top harder and driving your guitar's top harder means more potential for bass. It might not fix the problem, but it's a logical step. Also try strumming with your fingers instead of using a pick. Many acoustic players never touch a pick while others use them all the time. A pick gives a thinner sound than your fingers so if you think you sound too thin and bright the finger strumming could solve this.

If neither of these things work AND you are sure you are tuning your guitar correctly, then you have a bright and thin sounding guitar which means it probably works great for recording but doesn't do the trick when playing acoustic. It's one of those things you might not be able to get around without a new guitar.
Not taking any online orders.
Maybe it's just me being to picky then. Is my playing ok for how long I've played? Don't expect it to be perfect tbh.
Yeah man that sounds good. Solid strumming and chord changing. I didnt hear any muted strings. Keep at it. Ive met a lot of people who've said theyve been learning for years but still cant strum a simple chord progression. And your doing it. Keep at it
Actually, the clip sounds pretty decent. I've heard too many demos with an unnatural, ungodly, amount of bass boost, and it's dreadful and muddy.

Your sound is mostly balanced. I don't know if this is an acoustic/electric but you can normally shape the sound with the EQ controls provided on an AE guitar.

There are a few variables you can experiment with, to help you in creating the sound you want to hear:

1. As was mentioned before, you can change the gauge of the string set. Going heavier though, May require that the guitar be setup again, as heavy strings tend to raise the action a bit.

2. You can try different string alloys. There are two basic types, "brass", (also called "bell bronze"), which are normally labeled "80/20". (80% copper/20%tin). These are bright and twangy. Sometimes they are used on dull guitar, to liven up the party a bit

Behind door #2 is, "Phosphor bronze". This alloy is more reserved, and warmer across the midrange, with perhaps a bit more punch than brass in the bass.

Keep in mind, you will likely hear a more pronounced difference, between the 2 string alloys of the same brand, than 2 different brands of the same alloy!

3. And last but not least, your choice of pick. Basically the thinner and pointier they are, the brighter and more, "clatter", they produce.

In the other direction the thicker and more rounded they are, the duller they are. If "duller" is an adjective which has bad connotations for you, let's go with "warmer" instead. Fender sells 3 basic shapes, a pointy large triangle, a rounded large triangle, and the more common single point shape, which is pretty much is standard across many brands.

Too much stiffness in your pick, however, can lead to a bit of difficulty hanging on to it, especially when trying to play very fast rhythms. Also, if there's insufficient give in the tip, your stroking can become a bit jerky. The pick, (IMHO), should give enough to smooth out your stroke, without being so thin as to be too bright. If in doubt, go with mediums.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 25, 2014,