Page 1 of 2
Here's an idea.

Bad people get shit done. (Think game of thrones or corrupt people in power) They are successful, because they are selfish. They take every opportunity, because they are selfish. Good people, by nature, cannot and will not take EVERY opportunity, because they have moral obligations and codes. Opportunities can be bad things that equate to profit in some way. But good people let these opportunities slip, and that is why they are unsuccessful. Bad things happen to good people, because they do not take care of themselves to their upmost potential. Selflessness may lead to longterm happiness or whatever, but there will always be potential for bad things to happen to said good person.

This subject is not all black and white, but my idea has a solid base for the why factor.

Discuss.

Edit: I do not completely believe in this idea. It's just a standard to get this discussion started. I do realize that all people have problems and that bad things happen to all people, but discuss WHAT makes it so that good people face more "bad luck"
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at May 21, 2014,
because you touch yourself at night
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Good people are clumsy.

And it's utmost. Not upmost.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Stop assuming everything Game of Thrones tells you is true.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
tv isnt real life
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by k.lainad
Here's my idea.

Bad people get shit done. (Think game of thrones or corrupt people in power) They are successful, because they are selfish. They take every opportunity, because they are selfish. Good people, by nature, cannot and will not take EVERY opportunity, because they have moral obligations and codes. Opportunities can be bad things that equate to profit in some way. But good people let these opportunities slip, and that is why they are unsuccessful. Bad things happen to good people, because they do not take care of themselves to their upmost potential. Selflessness may lead to longterm happiness or whatever, but there will always be potential for bad things to happen to said good person.

This subject is not all black and white, but my idea has a solid base for the why factor.

Discuss.
OH MAN MY HOUSE EXPLODED BECAUSE MY NEIGHBOR IS A BAD PERSON WHO PLANTS BOMBS IF ONLY I HAD TAKEN THAT OPPORTUNITY I DIDN'T TAKE.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
OH MAN MY HOUSE EXPLODED BECAUSE MY NEIGHBOR IS A BAD PERSON WHO PLANTS BOMBS IF ONLY I HAD TAKEN THAT OPPORTUNITY I DIDN'T TAKE.

I said solid base or basic idea, fool. It's obviously not that simple.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

Quote by k.lainad
Dude I'm just poking fun, I don't even know what the hell you're talking about.

That phrase is dumb to begin with. It's like you're trying to prove karma exist, when really: v
Quote by metal4eva_22
Bad things happen to good people because bad things happen to everyone.

ALSO DON'T CALL ME A FOOL ONLY BAD PEOPLE CALL ME NAMES AND I AM A GOOD PERSON D:
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by k.lainad

First define good.
Then define bad.
What constitutes a good person vs a bad person?
If somebody I deem as a bad person gets hit by a train can I consider that as a good thing that happened to him?
Bad things and good things happen to everybody. It's called life. What you are outlining is your perception of it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by k.lainad

Huh, it's not? Imagine that.

Look, your theory doesn't work. Bad shit happens to everyone -- regardless of how "good" or "bad" they are. It's part of being human. The world ain't perfect, and everyone suffers tragedy or misfortune at some point in their life. The only thing to do about it is to decide whether you're going to grow through the bad things.
The good are naive. Life is harsh, hurtful and representative to the winner mentality. The good keep optimism in the highest regard, clouding rational understanding of reality. Pure good can never win. We have all done something dark enough to question our moral compass and understanding of the world. The darker the mindset, the more empathy and apathy is gathered. True evil can never win as well, to be beyond the bounds of righteousness and the depraved leads to maximum failure. Hence toppled dictatorships, and criminal incarceration.

There is a means to a balance, a balance that can either suit light and dark. To flow through the natural primal need to survive, thrive and prosper. How these means are pursued, is entirely up to the human in question.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Your idea is terrible.

Bad things happen to good people because bad things happen to everybody, as the world is a meaningless and at times cruel place.

Honestly, is this a serious question?

EDIT: Alternatively, if you must find comfort in searching for the meaning in things and events, read the Book of Job, which is the best metaphysical/metapersonal treatise on reasoning with suffering that I've ever read and has probably yet been written.
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at May 21, 2014,
Quote by Dreadnought
Your idea is terrible.

Bad things happen to good people because bad things happen to everybody, as the world is a meaningless and at times cruel place.

Honestly, is this a serious question?

EDIT: Alternatively, if you must find comfort in searching for the meaning in things and events, read the Book of Job, which is the best metaphysical/metapersonal treatise on reasoning with suffering that I've ever read and has probably yet been written.

its a topic you can make what you want it to be, not a straightforward question. And that theory. It's not necessarily what I believe in or hold true. It's just a basic concept to get this discussion started.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by Dreadnought

Agreed with this. I'm not a huge fan of Christians constantly citing Job, because so many of them read it so narrow minded. It's such an interesting book, and definitely one of my favourites of the Old Testament.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Hey TS is that you singing on your youtube channel in your sig? You look so gangster.
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by k.lainad
its a topic you can make what you want it to be, not a straightforward question. And that theory. It's not necessarily what I believe in or hold true. It's just a basic concept to get this discussion started.

I understand, it definitely isn't an easy thing to deal with, and it's an unfortunate part of the human experience. Really bad stuff happens all the time for absolutely no reason, often at the hands of really shitty people.
My God, it's full of stars!
I do not completely believe in this idea. It's just a standard to get this discussion started. I do realize that all people have problems and that bad things happen to all people, but discuss WHAT makes it so that good people face more "bad luck"
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by Joshua Garcia
Hey TS is that you singing on your youtube channel in your sig? You look so gangster.

Yes, I'm cool
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by k.lainad
I do not completely believe in this idea. It's just a standard to get this discussion started. I do realize that all people have problems and that bad things happen to all people, but discuss WHAT makes it so that good people face more "bad luck"

They don't. So nothing.
Quote by k.lainad
I believe it was already explained to you how everyone has their own perception of good and bad, and therefore, there is no such thing as bad things happening to good people. Just bad things happening to people.

Another example: Most people hate Hitler, but of course he had a lot of followers who would consider him good. Hitler dies, they consider it bad.

Get it? So to even consider that MORE good people have bad luck is absolutely retarded. No offense.
Quote by snipelfritz

Plus, I bet that some of the most vile human beings, such as Donald Trump or the head of the NSA, consider themselves good.
Quote by metal4eva_22
Plus, I bet that some of the most vile human beings, such as Donald Trump or the head of the NSA, consider themselves good.

Exactly. lol

No one wants to believe that what they do is wrong, even if they do run roughshod over other human beings. *cough*Looking at you, Trump!*cough*

Everyone does shitty things at some point in their life. Is everyone therefore bad? Kind of, but not really. Everyone also can point to at least one example of something good they have done (or at least, one example that they see as "good"). Is everyone therefore good? Kind of, but not really. My point is, you can't say that more bad things to happen to good people, because no one is "good" 100% of the time. Conversely, you can't say that more good things happen to bad people, because no one is "bad" 100% of the time.
Life is full of bad experiences and great experiences. Some people end up flipping one side of the coin more than the other, but everyone ends up on the bad side eventually. It's your choice whether you man up and deal with it, or let yourself be swept up in the tide. Most people who do the former become better people for it.

But really I dont know what the **** I'm talking about so don't mind me.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Life is full of bad experiences and great experiences. Some people end up flipping one side of the coin more than the other, but everyone ends up on the bad side eventually. It's your choice whether you man up and deal with it, or let yourself be swept up in the tide. Most people who do the former become better people for it.

But really I dont know what the **** I'm talking about so don't mind me.

Lol this reminds me of Chighur's ****ed up coin theory from No Country for Old Men.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Bad things happen to good people because that is what happens in life. The quicker you accept this, the happier you will be. If something bad happens, examine if something you did caused it to happen. If so, learn from that bad experience and don't do the thing that caused the bad thing to happen. If the bad thing happened through no fault of your own, accept that you cannot do anything to fix it and move on.

Life is about how you react to experiences both positive and negative. If you accept that bad things might happen to you for no reason and don't dwell on it, you can and will be fine. If you always say "why meeeeee" when something bad happens to you, you will have greater difficulty being fine. Accept the bad things, avoid them if possible, learn to control what you can control. If you can't control it, then c'est la vie.

Vonnegut sums this up pretty well: "So it goes."
^^Except for over 30 coin tosses the results will approximate the normal curve and have the best chance of a 50/50 result between good or bad
Quote by k.lainad

Well you have to ask yourself, do bad things REALLY happen more often to good people, or is it just more noticeable when it does?

Until we have that answer, which is likely never, you can't really say that bad things happen more often to good people. It just seems that way.
Bad guys have a good life because they screw good people over.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by metal4eva_22
^^Except for over 30 coin tosses the results will approximate the normal curve and have the best chance of a 50/50 result between good or bad

this post is the most puzzling in this thread

also the coin toss in no country for old men is symbolic. if anton represents the reaper, you see his coin toss shows that you cannot escape death except by a matter of luck.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
this post is the most puzzling in this thread

When the amount of coin tosses approaches infinite then the results of the coin tosses approaches 50:50. I was taught in intro to stats that when the number of coin tosses is above 30 then it's safe to assume
Quote by metal4eva_22
When the amount of coin tosses approaches infinite then the results of the coin tosses approaches 50:50. I was taught in intro to stats that when the number of coin tosses is above 30 then it's safe to assume

Man we talkin bout fate. Ain't no MATH in fate
Sail upon the open skies
Page 1 of 2