I'm sorry if there's another thread about "fingers" but I'm still pretty newby here.

The problem is that whenever I slide my fingers down my guitar, I get this screeching sound. I'm pretty sure it's from my calluses and I need some advice on how to stop my fingers from screeching. Do I use lotion on it or let my calluses grow out or what? Feedback is very appreciated.
No you want calluses or your fingers will hurt. The more you work on you fret hand technique the more you can control your guitars noises. Maybe try sliding with a lighter touch and try laying your picking hand's palm down to mute the strings a little bit in between chords.
Is it just me but I cant remember the last time I had an obvious finger callus (and I can play a lot), calluses go with time... (perhaps it is_ a technique related issue)... never quite thought of it that way.
Quote by tonibet72
Is it just me but I cant remember the last time I had an obvious finger callus (and I can play a lot), calluses go with time... (perhaps it is_ a technique related issue)... never quite thought of it that way.

This happened to me too. For several years, I got callouses, and they would eventually blister and pop. Now my finger pads are similar to the texture of the rest of my finger, just much thicker and a bit rougher

TS:

The first poster had it correct. This problem will work itself out. Try to use the part of your finger nearer to the palm to mute the upper strings
try to practice "clean" playing. And by that I mean not playing with clean channel turned on, but taking something you want to play and keep playing all the hard pieces with as minimal noise as you can.The more you practice, the better and more silent you get, but this way you can also get the idea how to learn stuff and challenge yourself. Best of luck!
as far as calluses go this what i do:
Take the dullest serrated knife you can get your hands on. i use an old pocket knife.
CAREFULLY rub it along your fingertips in a motion similar to the way women file their nails (side to side). Then do each finger individually by switching to up/down movement. The end result should yield even and smooth skin that is still very tough (much like the skin on my heel). I can now play just about as long as i want no discomfort whatsoever. because of this i dont develop calluses that pop or fall off leaving behind that sensitive layer of new skin. starting with averavge fingers this should take about a week
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. ~Jimi Hendrix