Hey guys. This is my first post on the forum.
I find myself playing a game of choices.
I'm looking to buy a new 7 String Guitar. I had an LTC EC-407 which I really liked but I sold because I wanted to go back to 6 strings to properly learn how to ay the instrument instead of getting stuck on the hanit of playong drop tuned power cords all day. I ended up buying a Mexican Standard Fender Strat HSS which I like but now that I'm in a position to do so I want to get a new 7 string, and preferably one that is better then my EC-407 was.
I have basically narrowed it down to thr LTD H-1007FR or the Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7 FR.
I really love both of these guitars, and while I'm sure there is a lot of preference involved in this choice I'm interested to see what other people would have to say about this. If anyone was going to add any suggestions just let it be known I'm absolutley looking for active pickups, a floyd rose bridge, and either a set neck or neck through construction. Also I need to try to keep it under $1500.00 USD

(On a side note (and completely unrelated) I am considering selling my Fender Strat amd buying an LTD EC-1000VB with EMGS. Any thoughts)
I owned an H-1007. Loved everything about it except for the EMGs, which is why I sold it. Currently I've got an LTD AW-7, which I adore. Since you seem to want a Floyd, I'd suggest the LTD BS-7 or the new Schecter Jeff Loomis model. They run about the same price (~$1000) and are in my opinion better than either guitar you've chosen.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
for the info given, I'd stick to the comment above and buy Loomis' Schecter
of those two I think more of yet another Schecter, at least because of its scale. I mean, man, 25,5" at seven-string?
the only "duh!" here may be Schec's high fret access. I have Omen Extreme 7, and it seems to have pretty much the same lower curve - and it's not the same as, say, some Telecaster or something

the rest is down to your own preferences such as furniture, finish and so on
Last edited by rootsofmy at May 22, 2014,
Hell, I may still get a BS-7 or a Loomis. I want to have 2 7s.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Love my C-7 Blackjact ATX couldn't give it higher praise for a sub £1000 guitar.

I also had an EC1000VB which was lovely - although for some reason I didn't get on with it for lower tunings and eventually sold it (which i regret) in order to fund my faith acoustic (which I don't regret)
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
speaking of Schecters
is there any reason to replace stock passive Hs on a budget 7-string?
Just looked at the Schecter Jeff Loomis. Looks like a pretty sweet guitar, and it fits perfectly into my price range while meeting all my requirements. Just out of curiosity how hard is it to restring a Floyd Rose? I've heard it takes a lot longer but the final result is much better since you can do dive bombs etc without it going out of tune.
Quote by cheosamad
Just looked at the Schecter Jeff Loomis. Looks like a pretty sweet guitar, and it fits perfectly into my price range while meeting all my requirements. Just out of curiosity how hard is it to restring a Floyd Rose? I've heard it takes a lot longer but the final result is much better since you can do dive bombs etc without it going out of tune.

Mostly depends on the quality of FR, but as for Loomis' - I'd say twice as long with all the possible subtuning and corrections. But you'll get it perfect
It takes me about 30 minutes to restring a floyd entirely. Not that hard.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
^ You have to mess with the springs in the back of guitar every time you change tuning.
Quote by JackovSlayer
^ You have to mess with the springs in the back of guitar every time you change tuning.

That sounds fun (sarcasm). I heard that if it's not blocked but instead you leave the trem floating it makes changing strings, tuning, and changing gauges of strings a lot harder.
Last edited by cheosamad at May 22, 2014,
Well, any floating trem is like that.

That said, changing strings on a Floyd is easy. Just do it 1 at a time and don't worry about it.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Sorry to kinda keep a thread that answered all my questions going but does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about Dean Guitars? Specifically the Rusty Cooley 7 string? Found out about them through the band reflections and they look really cool. The only issue I have with it is its a bolt on and not a neck through or set neck. Also really afraid of having a horror story guitar since I have seen a few people saying they've had terrible experience with Dean QC. For every bad review I've seen 10 good ones but 1 bad apple can spoil the bunch so I'm feeling awfully cautious.
Last edited by cheosamad at May 23, 2014,
I don't like the Rusty Cooley models, personally. Not to my taste. Well built enough, but I just don't like them.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
I don't like the Rusty Cooley models, personally. Not to my taste. Well built enough, but I just don't like them.

I don't like the bolt on not just because of its looks but because of the loss of sustain. The Schecter Jeff Loomis is still for sure my number 1. I could theoretically buy both and see which I like more and then just sell the lesser of the 2 on ebay at a small loss.
Quote by cheosamad
I don't like the bolt on not just because of its looks but because of the loss of sustain.

Set necks and neck-thru's make no difference to sustain compared to bolt-on. It's a myth.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Set necks and neck-thru's make no difference to sustain compared to bolt-on. It's a myth.

Then why wouldn't all companies go for the cheaper bolt on construction? Visual presentation?
Quote by cheosamad
Then why wouldn't all companies go for the cheaper bolt on construction? Visual presentation?

Well, you were ready to pay more for neck-thru, weren't you? I guess that companies count on that.
Quote by JackovSlayer
Well, you were ready to pay more for neck-thru, weren't you? I guess that companies count on that.

Really good point............. I have no counter argument....... lol. This certainly changes things....
Thanks to ebay I was able to get a Dean RC7 for 600 dollars brand new. As a graduation gift I will be able to still get that Schecter Jeff Loomis but now I'm also interested in the Legator Ninja 350 7 string. There are way to many options in this price range.
The 350-7 should be nice, as it is a Reflections signature guitar
Quote by Masoo2
The 350-7 should be nice, as it is a Reflections signature guitar

That's how I found out about it. They look like shred sticks.
Idk if anyone is interested but I figured I'd follow up.
I ended up getting a Dean RC7X for about 600 bucks so I'm really happy with it.
Plays really smooth and feels really solid. Getting used to the Floyd Rose, have already changed the strings and changed the tuning a few times so I'm learning to balance the trem better. Still haven't tried intonation yet. Really happy with the guitar, by far the best guitar I've had the pleasure of owning.

Will still be getting a second 7 string over the coming months and for now it will be either a Schecter Jeff Loomis or a Legator Reflections Ninja 350 (Which i found out isn't the same as their regular Ninja 350, it has a longer scale length and different top finish on the body) If my funds increas I might start looking at a custom shop guitar like a Skervesen 7 string.
Your funds are gonna need to increase a LOT if you want to start looking at a Skervy... Those things cost a hell of a lot of money, somewhere in the range of 3-4 grand US new for most guitars.

Of the two between the Legator and the Schecter, both are good. But if funds increase, why not consider an E-II? They're MIJ ESPs.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Sorry to keep an old thread alive but I found out about the company Agile Guitars. I see a lot of positive review for them and they're really cheap. 800 dollars for a neck through 7 string with a floyd rose, active pickups, and fanned frets? That sounds too good to be true.
It is true. Buy one.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
They're nice. But that said, where the hell did you find a floyd that can deal with multiple scale lengths?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
It's probably a Kahler.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2