I've been searching for quite a while now, and I finally found a white esp mx. Of all places, of coarse it's eBay, so I'm having a little trouble figuring out if this thing is legit. If it is, I don't think it's a prelawsuit one, because it looks like it has a rosewood fretboard and may be a custom 250 that came from Japan after lawsuit, although I could be way off.

Any help trying to identify the exact model and if this guitar would even be worth it with would be appreciated. The seller shows pics of a couple dings that aren't exactly ordinary wear. I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-ESP-Custom-MX-6-String-Electric-Guitar-w-Case-/121347031871?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c40d8c33f
it's not even close to being a 70s guitar. if it is an actual ESP then $250 is dirt cheap.
Hahahaha. It's so fake it's actually funny.

It's DEFINITELY not legit. Headstock shape is off, that large "ESP" on the fretboard doesn't belong there, and the top wing (when playing the one near your right elbow) is too short or curved weird.

Plus anyone in their right mind wouldn't let an actual ESP MX go for less than 3 grand, and that's being really generous. I've seen them go for 6 grand.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Last edited by jeleopard at May 22, 2014,
The bass side of the stop tailpiece isn't even hooked on the post.

That thing is like 98% correct. Yes, that weird inlay does appear on some ESPs, and yes, the shape is correct, even the headstock, the picture is at a weird angle. The problem is, there is no serial number, ESP puts a serial on ALL of their headstocks and has since they started producing complete guitars. Also, that nut is plastic, ESP has used graphite since the (mid/late?) 90s, and I think bone or corian before that. I'm positive that they never used a plastic nut on the MX 250s.

Overall, that's a decent clone. For $250, I'd take it. If you're looking for the legit thing, pre lawsuit, expect to shell out $4,000. They are extremely expensive.

They still make the original spec MXs in Japan, they just can't sell them in the US. I'm sure you could get a Japanese retailer to ship one over here, though.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
You can only get "original spec MXs" if you ask the custom shop to make one for you. And that's like a 5 year wait list +that 4k (if that!) you mentioned.
Legion!
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
EVH 5153
Quote by jeleopard
You can only get "original spec MXs" if you ask the custom shop to make one for you. And that's like a 5 year wait list +that 4k (if that!) you mentioned.

I remember checking like 2 or 3 years ago and the ESP custom shop's starting price was like 6k. Even Suhr's custom orders are cheaper.
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
I remember checking like 2 or 3 years ago and the ESP custom shop's starting price was like 6k. Even Suhr's custom orders are cheaper.

That still doesn't surprise me

So yea, if you're looking for a real ESP MX, be ready to shell out THOUSANDS of dollars.
Legion!
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
EVH 5153
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't trust myself to look at it unbiased. It feels like searching for the holy grail. Once you see something that looks like it, you try to convince yourself that you've finally found it and it is the real thing.

My brother has been to Japan a couple of times and might go again sometime in the near future. Would it be possible for me to order an esp mx from the Japanese custom shop and have him get it while he's there? How exactly could I go about that?
Quote by AtomicFire7
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't trust myself to look at it unbiased. It feels like searching for the holy grail. Once you see something that looks like it, you try to convince yourself that you've finally found it and it is the real thing.

I hear that, man.

Quote by AtomicFire7
My brother has been to Japan a couple of times and might go again sometime in the near future. Would it be possible for me to order an esp mx from the Japanese custom shop and have him get it while he's there? How exactly could I go about that?

Go onto ESP's website and click custom shop, they can ship it right to you. Also, if you're brother goes to Japan, they have some explorers for great prices that are still MIJ. Look up Edwards, its ESP's LTD Deluxe/E2/whatever they call the range in between the custom shop and import models, but for Japan. I have one and its pretty high quality.

But yeah, if you're really going for the MX, just click ESP's custom shop option and fill out the form and send it to an ESP dealer, when the guitar is built and ready to ship, they'll send it to the dealer you dropped the form off at and you can pick it up.
Last edited by Guy_Mitchell at May 22, 2014,
Thanks. Yeah, I'll check out the Edwards model. I'm not exactly made of cash, so the prices you guys are telling me for the custom mx would probably be a bit much. I was searching through tons of threads before and the price I was seeing was anywhere from 1-3k.

What's my best option pricewise for an explorer of that style? I'm definitely not into the ex series that esp makes now. I have considered the snakebyte, but I'd much rather have an explorer with straight cuts and the hockey stick headstock. So I'm guessing my cheapest option is a used gibson.
Quote by AtomicFire7
Thanks. Yeah, I'll check out the Edwards model. I'm not exactly made of cash, so the prices you guys are telling me for the custom mx would probably be a bit much. I was searching through tons of threads before and the price I was seeing was anywhere from 1-3k.

What's my best option pricewise for an explorer of that style? I'm definitely not into the ex series that esp makes now. I have considered the snakebyte, but I'd much rather have an explorer with straight cuts and the hockey stick headstock. So I'm guessing my cheapest option is a used gibson.

You can get a Used Gibson Explorer for the 1k area, sometimes a little cheaper. And they're KICK ASS.

Also, as for the eBay auction, everyone here should report it, as it's illegal to sell fake knockoffs as the real thing. It's actually getting bids, and I feel REALLY bad for those people.
Legion!
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
EVH 5153
Last edited by jeleopard at May 22, 2014,
Quote by AtomicFire7

If you're looking for the no pickguard JH look your options would be the Edwards or the 84 epiphone tribute one.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you're looking for the no pickguard JH look your options would be the Edwards or the 84 epiphone tribute one.

Is it possible to just remove the pickguard from a gibson, or no?
Quote by AtomicFire7
Is it possible to just remove the pickguard from a gibson, or no?

No. The ones with a pickguard are top routed and it's not worth the hassle filling it in and routing the back out. I guess you wouldn't have to route the back out and just move the switch position but it's still a hassle.

Here are a few examples that you can get sans pickguard. Also the Edwards guitars are ESP brand if that sweetens the deal. You can for sure find them cheaper than the ebay prices too. I know a few users here are keen with buying MIJ stuff and could help you in that department

Edwards

Epiphone 1984 style
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at May 22, 2014,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
No. The ones with a pickguard are top routed and it's not worth the hassle filling it in and routing the back out. I guess you wouldn't have to route the back out and just move the switch position but it's still a hassle.

Here are a few examples that you can get sans pickguard. Also the Edwards guitars are ESP brand if that sweetens the deal. You can for sure find them cheaper than the ebay prices too. I know a few users here are keen with buying MIJ stuff and could help you in that department

Edwards

Epiphone 1984 style

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm not too keen on the epiphone cause I've heard they're made in china now. I've read some not so great stuff and some alright stuff about them. As for the edwards, is that like the base cost? Is it possible to find that kind of model for cheaper or in variant finishes?

I tried searching and I could only find one other one, and it had a pickguard..
We've already confirmed it to be fake :P
Legion!
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
EVH 5153
Quote by AtomicFire7
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm not too keen on the epiphone cause I've heard they're made in china now. I've read some not so great stuff and some alright stuff about them. As for the edwards, is that like the base cost? Is it possible to find that kind of model for cheaper or in variant finishes?

Your best bet would be looking at things like yahoo japan auctions or jauce to find better deals on the edwards or possibly find other explorer shapes that you're cool with.

Personally I'd go with the Epiphones. The 1984 EX series aren't terrible guitars and it would be much easier to grab one. They come loaded with EMGs and it's as Metallica as you can get for under a grand. I know you think the made in china tag is a bad thing, but you should go try out a few newer Epiphones at your local shop. You might be surprised.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Do people actually shell out $4k for an ESP? Are they built by naked Japanese supermodels and rubbed down with unicorn oil? I just can't imagine it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Do people actually shell out $4k for an ESP? Are they built by naked Japanese supermodels and rubbed down with unicorn oil? I just can't imagine it.

I'm sure some people do. I know I wouldn't.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Cajundaddy

People shell out 15k for Blackmachines and 300k for Gibson Les Pauls from 1959.

So yes, 4k for a collector's ESP doesn't seem too bad
Legion!
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
EVH 5153
Quote by Cajundaddy

I wouldn't, but that's just because I don't have the money to burn like that. The key is you have to be a huge James Hetfield fan like me. If I did have the money, then I most certainly would.
Quote by AtomicFire7

They seem to be about around that price, and that company that's selling those on ebay, Ishibashi, is the one I'd recommend buying from, I've gotten two Edwards from them. One took some damage in shipping and they replaced it within a few days of me sending it back to them. Just keep their page open and see if they add some new colors.

And if you don't like the pickguard, you can do what Jason Hook did with his Gibson and throw a wire conduit in the channel.

Last edited by Guy_Mitchell at May 23, 2014,
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
They seem to be about around that price, and that company that's selling those on ebay, Ishibashi, is the one I'd recommend buying from, I've gotten two Edwards from them. One took some damage in shipping and they replaced it within a few days of me sending it back to them.

And if you don't like the pickguard, you can do what Jason Hook did with his Gibson.

I actually just saw that on eBay like 5 minutes ago. I was like wtf? It's so odd looking. I actually would prefer the pickguard over that. I just want something with a plain nice finish all around. The Edwards seems to be my best bet concerning look and price. The real ESPs are out due to price, but maybe one day.
Quote by jeleopard
People shell out 15k for Blackmachines and 300k for Gibson Les Pauls from 1959.

So yes, 4k for a collector's ESP doesn't seem too bad

Wow! People are f'ing nuts. I guess if you have more money than you could ever spend and you wipe your bum with C notes, anything is possible. Along with a few others, I have a well preserved 55 LP Jr. in the original alligator case but I didn't pay nearly so much. Perhaps it will be my retirement fund. I would probably take $300k for it if anyone is interested.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by Cajundaddy
Wow! People are f'ing nuts. I guess if you have more money than you could ever spend and you wipe your bum with C notes, anything is possible. Along with a few others, I have a well preserved 55 LP Jr. in the original alligator case but I didn't pay nearly so much. Perhaps it will be my retirement fund. I would probably take $300k for it if anyone is interested.

Divide that by 100 and you're looking at the area for 50s LP Jrs.
Legion!
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
EVH 5153
Quote by jeleopard
Divide that by 100 and you're looking at the area for 50s LP Jrs.

Well decent 55 Jrs often sell between $5k-6k these days. I am not actually interested in selling but if someone were to offer me $300k I might reconsider it. It's a supply and demand thing.