i had my pitchblack stolen a few months ago.

musicians friend had one of their stupid deal for $7 for blue snarks. i bought two

musicians friend had one on their stupid deal for around $50 IRRC. i bought one.

musicians friend had a flash sale last week for the pitch black poly for $40. bought one.

i love musicians friend now i don't have to worry about not having something to tune with.

mandatory pics

anyways here is the lowdown.

pitchblack (non poly): i had one for a long time, and they are durable accurate, i love the half strobe mode. works nice and quick. has several other modes. has external power out but i wouldn't really use it, because it would just be plugged INTO its own source.

pitchblack poly: nice works fast and accurate easy to use. i would have preferred the normal pitchblack, i ccan hear what strings are out of tune on my own i don't need to see which. but again i have been a musician since age 5 and played multiple instruments so i do have a developed ear. this would be PERFECT for anybody who still is developing their ear, or a new player. its not totally useless for me, it is more efficient and quicker to tune the whole guitar so that is a benefit. but nice.

shark: snarks are nice, but don't like concrete or tar or stage floors or feet. i use them most often just out of convenience in studio, they are handy at open mics so you can tune before you get up and back, no cables, etc.

a lot of good deals, and a wide experience with tuners.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at May 29, 2014,
Sweet. A regular Pitchblack is on my to-get list.

Do they track just as fast for bass? That's what I want it for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

no idea on the bass. i don't play bass often and only have one (which is at my other house)

if i remember to i will check it out and get back to you. send me a PM to remind me if you don't hear from me in the next few days.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Offworld92

I'll try it when I get back from college, and compare it to the vst tuners I use. I'd imagine it works perfectly fine, but I think you'd need to use the 12th fret harmonic.
Quote by ambler3
I'll try it when I get back from college, and compare it to the vst tuners I use. I'd imagine it works perfectly fine, but I think you'd need to use the 12th fret harmonic.

ii did mess with it with harmonics and i just intonated the tele a few days ago. it worked well on guitar.

great idea for the bass. i will try to remember to take the bass out and let you know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Awesome guys.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cool HNTD

I just bought a Snark mini and it seems pretty decent so far. There is a bit of latency when tuning but that is fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92

Since trying mine, my bass player wants one. And you don't need to use the 12th harmonic at all. it's tracks bass just fine. Well, 4 string bass anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
People should be posting when there are deals found!

Yeah slickdeals works too sometimes but... well...
I think I have a half dozen dedicated tuners sitting around here somewhere, but I've been using the one on the Pods as much as anything, with the tuner apps in my iPhone a close second.

nice

sorry to hear it got stolen a while back, though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice! I didn't notice Korg made a polytuner too. I've been wanting to get the tc polytuner for awhile but haven't gotten around to it cause I've blown all my gas money on a guitar and amp in the last month. I admit, literally the only reason I want a polytuner is for the pretty lights.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The Korg one looks super retro.

And Korg > TC. Do eet.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice

sorry to hear it got stolen a while back, though

yea. i don't get why people do that. i was familiar with everybody there, not like it was a random group, most showed up every week.

but yea i got the new one.

and also most of the time i am tuning if its just me in my studio i will use g-strings or waves tuners on my Android.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by lucky1978
Nice! I didn't notice Korg made a polytuner too. I've been wanting to get the tc polytuner for awhile but haven't gotten around to it cause I've blown all my gas money on a guitar and amp in the last month. I admit, literally the only reason I want a polytuner is for the pretty lights.

pretty lights. mood lighting? no. haha (lets see what cath says about the mood lighting).

i like the pitchblacks a lot. they are durable. my original survived a slosh of beer (probalby only 1 fl.oz. though. it wasn't covered but i had to let it dry. never failed me.

_________

i don't know if this is against policy, but you can get the "stupid deal of the day" emailed to you every day. i have bought a bunch of stuff from that. i see on my phone and there are some pretty sweet deals.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I originally switched to a rack partially because I was sick of dirtballs stealing my pedals at gigs. Well, it was certainly a big factor.
Stolen was a first issue TS-808, an FL9, a CE2 - and a footswitch from my Abbey. Literally a switch in a box. Was worth about $20 to make but it was irreplaceable matching original equipment for my amp. So worth **** all to anybody else. Wasn't happy.
That's just some off the top of my head, there were others over the years.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I originally switched to a rack partially because I was sick of dirtballs stealing my pedals at gigs. Well, it was certainly a big factor.
Stolen was a first issue TS-808, an FL9, a CE2 - and a footswitch from my Abbey. Literally a switch in a box. Was worth about $20 to make but it was irreplaceable matching original equipment for my amp. So worth **** all to anybody else. Wasn't happy.

****ing dirty people. you had some big losses. f i am on break, i usually don't leave the stage, my wife will bring me a beer, and if i have to piss she sits there and watches. i keep my shit separate and try to be conscious of where it is. i don't let anybody and an open mic use or get near anything of mine. if i am playing with a band and i know the guys i relax a bit, but i don't trust anyone.

its a shame the world is like this.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
As you can imagine, I'm pretty careful now too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
As you can imagine, I'm pretty careful now too.

yea. i do. ****.

most of the playing out i do i don't bring out any of my flagship rigs, if blues, the 18 watter, and if metal likely the trem-o-verb (kind of flagship, but i don't need anything with it).

i don't really gig with anything more than i can get by with, unless its more high profile, then i will go all out.

i haven't been a regular member of a band for a while now, but most people know me here and i have played with enough where i don't have a hard time fitting in if they need a guitarist.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Not a big deal with the new band. I mean, what do you need for punk? A tuner (probably optional ), an overdrive, a guitar and an amp. Too easy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Not a big deal with the new band. I mean, what do you think need for punk? A tuner (probably optional ), an overdrive, a guitar and an amp. Too easy.

most definitely.hell if you have a bass player with a tuner you could just tune off of him. Guitar od, amp. punk is not necessarily hi fi thing. Lol. Using the jcm900?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Nah, using the RM100 with the Mash-all module.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
yea. i don't get why people do that. i was familiar with everybody there, not like it was a random group, most showed up every week.

but yea i got the new one.

and also most of the time i am tuning if its just me in my studio i will use g-strings or waves tuners on my Android.

yeah

Quote by Cathbard

yeah that sucks. i think that doesn't help, that some people don't seem to realise (or if they do, don't care) how much bother it is to replace, if it's even possible to do so.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
FOLLOW UP:

really not digging the pitchblack poly. kind of disappointed. it works fine, but it doesn't really have the best system for tuning the guitar from the poly part. also i have had difficulty in different tunings (all i play in is Estd, Drop D, and C# std and drop B). $40 its great just for the fact it tunes and its a pedal and is sturdy, but i wouldn't pay $90 for one.

it does the job but isn't worth it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I always thought poly tuners were a bit of a wank. You shoulda just grabbed the normal Pitchblack. The whole poly things smacks of fad to me. Really, what's the ****ing point? You can only tune one at a time anyway. So it tells you which one is out quicker? If you can't tell which string is out yourself you probably should give up music and take up badminton.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I always thought poly tuners were a bit of a wank. You shoulda just grabbed the normal Pitchblack. The whole poly things smacks of fad to me. Really, what's the ****ing point? You can only tune one at a time anyway. So it tells you which one is out quicker? If you can't tell which string is out yourself you probably should give up music and take up badminton.

the only reason I bothered that it was a deal for $40. I would have preferred the regular Pitchblack, but it works fine for one string at a time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Fair enough. I think I paid $40 for my regular from some ebay store. If single string mode is the same as a regular one, I'm sure you'll love it.
People seem to like the half strobe thing. I tried all the modes but ended up just using the standard, TU-2 style one. Well, not surprising I suppose, I've been using that style of display for a damn long time. I just found I could work faster that way.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i'm not a fan of poly tuners either. my polytune was always out in poly mode. i only ever used it in strobe, where it lagged a fair bit. picked up a turbo tuner, and i've had it since.
Quote by Cathbard

I think polytuner is pretty handy if you need to tune your guitar quick between songs on a gig. You can see which strings are out of tune really fast. Yes, you can use your ears but sometimes the string that you think is out of tune is actually the only one that is in tune (with the rest of the band).

I mean, if you can use your ears, why use a tuner any way? Well, of course I was being sarcastic.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah, maybe. I've never gigged with one. I used to use a lot of tunings, if I ever go back to doing that maybe I should try one.
Could do it pretty quick with a normal Pitchblack though. I dunno, I was just trolling.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92

i just use 12th fret harmonic to tune for bass. lower notes (low frequency) just naturally track slower.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I will use on single notea only. But for $40 its better than any other options at the price.

Also half strobe is the way to go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!