Hi for over ten years i have tried to pick guitar up but have put it down again for two reasons first being i was trying to teach myself from various songbooks available I.e the likes of oasis second reason being the yamaha f310 guitar i purchased was horrible to play because the action was way too high for me.

However the past couple of monthe i have started from scratch using the justin guitar website and seem to be getting along just fine i can actually play a few song now (albeit only recognisable to myself)

As such i have gone daft buying guitars a little i have so far purchased a Squier Strat, a Wesley ovation copy electro acoustic that i can leave at work ( work on offshore oil rigs) and have just been offered a gorgeous Crafter FX550EQ for a bargain price along with a fender Starcaster strat cheapo guitar both barely used and not a blemish on them.

My question is should i buy this guitar i am definitley hooked now and spend most of my spare time guitar in hand trying to better myself, just would an old hand think that this guitar is a bit advanced or extravagant for a noob ?

Also if i do go for it the fender one is surplus to requirement so any idea if i could get any cash back on it ? ( live in the uk by the way)

Cheers Daz
there is no such thing as a "too advanced" guitar. i find that the higher quality the instrument, the harder i work to be worthy of it. better ones tend to play and sound much better than low end crappy knockoffs( with the exception of a few). i have guitars that are "beyond" my abilities. that just makes me work harder at it. ask any of the regulars here...they'll tell you... "that Steppy just ain't got no brains ! buys alla 'dem Taylors and cain't play no country music(or 60's protest songs)..... odd boy thait un is "
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Warning, you may be afflicted with a communicable disease called GAS. This sickness makes you spend time upgrading gears instead of practicing. Beware :-)
Thanks steppy i have gone and got the guitar could not look at the pictures no more thinking what may have been if i missed out so tonight i am £125 lighter in the pocket (and i believe have one of the bargains of the year in my possesion)
This guitar really is as new hardly been used and unblemished to say i am proud is an understatement although not top end i love her.... oops yep i did just really call my guitar her how sad

Not to mention i got the free novelty electric guitar with also like new and hardly used, it that will be making its way onto ebay tomorrow see if i can make the cost of my new guitar sub £100

Quote by royc
Warning, you may be afflicted with a communicable disease called GAS. This sickness makes you spend time upgrading gears instead of practicing. Beware :-)

Thanks roy i think you are correct although for now i am happy with my gear or at least the girlfriend has told me so.... i promise i do practice though so there may one day be a glimmer of hope for me yet
Quote by Dazza1Shot

As such i have gone daft buying guitars a little i have so far purchased a Squier Strat, a Wesley ovation copy electro acoustic that i can leave at work ( work on offshore oil rigs) and have just been offered a gorgeous Crafter FX550EQ for a bargain price along with a fender Starcaster strat cheapo guitar both barely used and not a blemish on them.

My question is should i buy this guitar i am definitley hooked now and spend most of my spare time guitar in hand trying to better myself, just would an old hand think that this guitar is a bit advanced or extravagant for a noob ?

I'd be really surprised if anyone answers no. This is probably not the forum to get an unbiased answer.

Of course you should buy the guitar (maybe try it first though).

GAS is a serious problem............................well that's what my first three wives all said.......,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.............and the marriage counselors.

Posted minutes too late. enjoy your new guitar
Last edited by ghobby at May 22, 2014,
Quote by ghobby

GAS is a serious problem............................well that's what my first three wives all said.......,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.............and the marriage counselors.

Posted minutes too late. enjoy your new guitar

Maye the problemwas your first three wifes and not GAS

So am i the only saddo who has a name for his guitar ?
Quote by Dazza1Shot
Maye the problemwas your first three wifes and not GAS

So am i the only saddo who has a name for his guitar ?

Thank-you for understanding, I mean why else do the banks offer lines of credit against your mortgage if not to indulge in a harmless hobby. And the kids can make there own way through college, its a life lesson.

On a side note I'm pretty sure you're not the only saddo
Quote by ghobby
Thank-you for understanding, I mean why else do the banks offer lines of credit against your mortgage if not to indulge in a harmless hobby. And the kids can make there own way through college, its a life lesson.

On a side note I'm pretty sure you're not the only saddo

Man i am lost for words you actualy read my mind kids need teaching to stand on their own two feet and ladies wanted equality right ???

Enjoy your shoes and whatever other rubbish you like to indulge in dear (insert other useless tat ladies spend money on here )

Ill stick to my new harmless hobby mean when the house gets repoed i can always go busking right .... the fact i have all the gear with no idea just means people are more likely to throw the odd coin my way purely out of sypmathy.
Quote by stepchildusmc
t...[ ]... "that Steppy just ain't got no brains ! buys alla 'dem Taylors and cain't play no country music(or 60's protest songs)..... odd boy thait un is "...[ ]...
Ah don't mose iffn you'd beez able ta plaze any o' thet thar country music, but the reazon yo cantz beez playin' none o dem protest songs, is y'all dun broked your 12 strang.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 22, 2014,
Quote by Dazza1Shot
Man i am lost for words you actualy read my mind kids need teaching to stand on their own two feet and ladies wanted equality right ???

Enjoy your shoes and whatever other rubbish you like to indulge in dear (insert other useless tat ladies spend money on here )

Ill stick to my new harmless hobby mean when the house gets repoed i can always go busking right .... the fact i have all the gear with no idea just means people are more likely to throw the odd coin my way purely out of sypmathy.

lol
How many guitars does a guitar player need? Just one more

The main thing with any guitar is that you enjoy playing it and that it's set up well. The action shouldn't be too high, it should intonate etc. Do you think buying this guitar will inspire you to play more? I personally find if a guitar is set up and has great tone I do.
a better guitar makes it easier to get started and stay motivated.

from mccabe's guitars

"Beginners need better guitars than experienced players, but sadly, they seldom get them. That is often why beginners quit. This is not a trick to get you to buy a better guitar than you need, it's just a fact. An experienced player can mash down the strings on almost any piece of junk and allow for its defects. A beginner has tender fingers, and underdeveloped muscles. An experienced player knows where unwanted buzzes are coming from and can compensate. A beginner is usually prone to string buzz, because he/she is not clear if the cause is bad technique or a bad (or badly adjusted) instrument. It's no fun playing a guitar that buzzes when you don't want it to, and it makes practice less effective if you have to wrestle with your fretboard."

http://www.mccabes.com/usedrent.html
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Well Patti, since we've chosen the philosophic path, this one's for you.

(**) I got my first real six-string
A
Bought it at the five-and-dime
D
Played 'til my fingers bled
A
It was summer of '69

I'd argue that those high actions and thick strings, cut out the sick, lame, weak, lazy, and indifferent, from the guitar playing herd.

Or perhaps the more neutral, "where there's a will, there's a way".

(**) Excerpted from Bryan Adams, "Summer of '69"

"5 or 6 chords, a whole lot of down strokes, and a ton of enthusiasm", that git's 'er dun".

Quote by Bijingus
How many guitars does a guitar player need? Just one more ...[ ]...
I'd argue two, a 6 string and a 12 string.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 23, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
Well Patti, since we've chosen the philosophic path, this one's for you.

(**) I got my first real six-string
A
Bought it at the five-and-dime
D
Played 'til my fingers bled
A
It was summer of '69

I'd argue that those high actions and thick strings, cut out the sick, lame, weak, lazy, and indifferent, from the guitar playing herd.

Screw that. I know I'm from the electric guitar forum, and a wuss to boot, but I disagree with that. It's a musical instrument, not an endurance sport. Piano doesn't hurt your fingers at all and I reckon most piano virtuosos aren't "sick, lame, weak, lazy, and indifferent".

I disagree that those should even be things to weed people out- just using your own logic against you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Screw that. I know I'm from the electric guitar forum, and a wuss to boot, but I disagree with that. It's a musical instrument, not an endurance sport.
Well Dave, it would seem that both myself and Bryan Adams, strongly disagree with you. Watch a video of Louis Armstrong sometime. You'll see massively distended cheeks, with face muscles in size and positions, where no average person would have them. So yeah, playing a musical instrument can be an endurance sport. Are you suggesting that a Bruce Springsteen, after 3+ hours of pounding stages for days on end, doesn't need stamina, or endurance? It isn't exactly running a jack hammer on a 10 hour shift, but it surely isn't sitting on your butt watching the 11:00 o'clock news either.

I've played with 12 strings for many years, as well as playing electrics. Trust me, wailing away with a set of .009's and letting the amp do your work for you, in no way, shape, form, or work aesthetic, prepares you for playing a jumbo acoustic 12. Been there, experienced that.

So, if someone isn't prepared for some discomfort, blackened finger tips, and callouses, then I fully agree with you, they should take up the piano.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Piano doesn't hurt your fingers at all and I reckon most piano virtuosos aren't "sick, lame, weak, lazy, and indifferent".
True. But then, an actual "virtuoso", would be practicing hour upon endless hour, perhaps listening to his or her conservatory instructors, and not asking a bunch of stupid questions on the internet. Look at the understated girl in the 3rd violin seat of a big city orchestra. What do you think her mindset and work ethic are like?

Quote by Dave_Mc
I disagree that those should even be things to weed people out- just using your own logic against you.
People take up the guitar, more so than probably any other instrument, wanting to be a star. A percentage of those wannabe musicians, never give any thought, as to how much work went into their favorite act selling a million CDs, nor how long it took for that to happen. IMHO, the best time for them to reconcile their dreams with reality, is from the jump.

I live in America, and all I see are massively overweight, "cattle", who think the world owes them a living. Once upon a time we had a draft, and there was basic training involved. Torture for sure it was, but it prepared you for survival. So referentially , a couple of blisters or callouses, a tiny bit of blackened, corroded bronze, on your fingers tips, is less than a mosquito bite in the grand scheme of things.

Don't you get tired of answering questions like, "I've been playing the guitar for 3 weeks, how come I can't play, "Classical Gas"? (**) I don't mind, even enjoy, answering question, but the disconnect with reality, and the bizarre expectations of what the internet can provide as a substitute for hard work and practice , I find appalling.

(**) And yes, that was indeed a hyperbolic, fictitious, "example".

Look at Pete's hand: What do you see?
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 24, 2014,
Those are lyrics in a song.

Also I just disagree 100% with that entire mentality. I don't agree with "weeding people out" at all, and I certainly don't agree with "weeding people out" with secondary things which only have a tenuous connection, at best, to the main skill in question. I also don't agree with making things hard for the sake of it, either.

You're in favour of conscription? Yeah ok.

I'm with patticake.

EDIT: that's pete's picking hand, far as i'm aware. not sure what your point is there.

Also I can list tons of famous players who have "made it" who use really, really light electric strings. So that doesn't prove much either- you can find pro players who agree with you, I can find pro players who agree with me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 24, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
...[ ]...Also I just disagree 100% with that entire mentality. I don't agree with "weeding people out" at all, and I certainly don't agree with "weeding people out" with secondary things which only have a tenuous connection, at best, to the main skill in question.
Actually, I'm a hopeless optimist and romantic. So, I sit around hoping they'll weed themselves out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I also don't agree with making things hard for the sake of it, either.
Nor do it. I don't believe that a certain amount of difficulty should be its own deterrent either.

Quote by Dave_Mc
You're in favour of conscription? Yeah ok.
Naw Dave, I'm in favor of letting the 18YO males stand on the corner selling heroine and blowing each others brains out. If the army won't straighten some of them out, maybe the process of natural selection or the prison system will do the job

Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm with patticake.
I'm going to pass on the golden opportunity that remark presents...

Quote by Dave_Mc
EDIT: that's pete's picking hand, far as i'm aware. not sure what your point is there..
Exactly! It's an injury sustained from slamming into the guitar doing windmills...

So, you say that playing the guitar isn't a full contact sport, and I say, "yeah, but sometimes it can be".
Quote by Dave_Mc
Also I can list tons of famous players who have "made it" who use really, really light electric strings.
I'm sure you can. However, that does nothing to remedy the mind set of those who believe that you can't make it without them. Now does it?
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 24, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky

(a) Exactly! It's an injury sustained from slamming into the guitar doing windmills...

So, you say that playing the guitar isn't a full contact sport, and I say, "yeah, but sometimes it can be".

(b) I'm sure you can. However, that does nothing to remedy the mind set of those who believe that you can't make it without them. Now does it?

(a) it's one thing choosing to do that (townshend can do what he likes; plus it's hardly "proper" technique either) and another saying people should.

(b) well it was an argument from authority in the first place, so as I said already, I was just using your own logic against you.

In pretty much any subject i can think of, teachers make it easier than it actually is for beginners. guitar seems to be the exception. a lot of guitarists are self-taught. i think i'm seeing a correlation there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?