Hi everyone i'm looking to get a new guitar around the $100-350 price range and used Guitars I would a "Thinner & flat neck" i Mainly play Heavy Metal and THRASH METAL but some Cleans i Plan on swapping any stock Pickups for Seymour Duncans <3
anyway can you guys please point me in the right direction i'm leaning towards an
LTD or a Ibanez but any advice will help and and preferably not a Floyd But Thanks

Last edited by thrashhabbit666 at May 24, 2014,
If you're not gonna go used don't expect to get anything too awesome for that price
vayne is right. for $350 you could get a good condition LTD or Ibanez that already has some Seymour Duncans in it that would be a better instrument than any brand new guitar in that price range.
SD + Floyd for that price.. well, I'd like to see that.
Most likely, you'll have to look at some used pieces. It doesn't mean you have to buy something halfway destroyed though
That's honestly impossible. Besides, a set of two Seymour Duncans is around $200-$300, so what you're asking for is totally impossible.

It would, as the others have said, just get a guitar with SD's already loaded. Or, if you just save a little more money, you could get an even better, thrash-metal/heavy metal oriented guitar by Ibanez, ESP, Shecter, PRS, Gibson (some of them), or Epiphone.

I own a PRS SE Custom 24. It offers a great variety of tonal flavors. It costs $650 new. There's also the PRS SE Mark Tremonti Signature. Lots of people who play your genre of music own 'em. They're pretty good. PRS has a lot of guitars (all of them, really) with thin necks, anyhow.

The only problem with getting something like an Epiphone or (especially ESP or Ibanez) is that the cheaper ones are terrible in every manner. They are badly balanced (terribly top-heavy) and they're really heavy and sound absolutely terrible, which may not be a problem for you because you plan on switching the pickups out. However, it's not just the sound that makes the guitar; you want most of the technical details to be right, or even on the most basic scale like balance and weight.

That's all the advice I can give: save up more money. There's just no such thing as a good $100-$350 guitar.
*le me *le forum person
Don't know why the hate over here for sub-350$ brand new guitars, LTD has some very nice models for that kind of money, what about the so called "awesome" (over here) Agile guitars from Rondo music? or are they not good anymore?

Not going for an used instrument is completely understandable (I Wouldn't), you never know what it's been through with it..

Or maybe the OP just can't get any of the higher end models due to where he's located in the world?

I did take the route that the OP describes, right now my main guitar is an ESP LTD MH-100qm (300$ new, 2011 Made in Indonesia), upgraded it with a pair of Suhr pickups (an SSV in the neck and an SSH in the bridge), push-pull pot on the volume for coil-splitting, fat brass block for the Floyd Rose Special bridge it came with (both acoustic tone and feel changed with it), and been rocking it ever since.

Got it back in 2011 and used it ever before doing any of those mods (Rehearsals, Gigs, recording, you name it), and even after that it plays (and sounds) amazing, never had any (out of normal setup) intonation issues, any fret buzz, dead notes, none of that, it plays great, sounds great, feels great, stays in tune, what more can I ask for? xD

Here she is BTW:

So IMO I can recommend any 100 series ESP LTD (played other models aswell, before you say anything), they're pretty solid guitars that after a few mods can become some terrific souding and playing guitars, go take a look at them

BTW, 200$-300$ for a pair of Seymour Duncans? I don't believe that, then tell me how I got these for just over 200$, being Suhr pickups more expensive than SDs?
ESP LTD MH-100QM STB with Suhr SSV-N & SSH-B
Phil Pro MS-20
Vox V845 Classic Wah
Fender Mustang IV V.2
Fender Mustang I
Fernandes has some options in your price range until supplies run out:

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/revolver/31-revolver-x.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/ravelle/30-ravelle-x.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/standard/76-dragonfly-standard.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/28-vortex-x.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/v-hawk/32-v-hawk-x.html

Look around on that site- the sale includes some better guitars that are deeply discounted, and are just outside of your current budget.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 23, 2014,
Yeah everyone on here is right. And if you plan on playing metal with Seymour Duncans you're going to need Blackouts which are going to cost you $200 right there.
Perfect practice makes perfect.
Quote by Nicholas_Gage
And if you plan on playing metal with Seymour Duncans you're going to need Blackouts which are going to cost you $200 right there.

You're joking, right? Active pickups are in no way a requirement for metal. I would much rather have a Distortion, Black Winter, or even a JB in the bridge over a Blackout. Not everyone likes sterile guitar tones :P
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
You're joking, right? Active pickups are in no way a requirement for metal. I would much rather have a Distortion, Black Winter, or even a JB in the bridge over a Blackout. Not everyone likes sterile guitar tones :P

Any heavy metal player is going to eventually switch to an active pup sooner or later. Its just bound to happen haha
Blackouts! You crazy kids are funny! I've been using an Air Norton in the bridge of the guitar I play metal with for years. No joke!
Quote by stringDIA
Blackouts! You crazy kids are funny! I've been using an Air Norton in the bridge of the guitar I play metal with for years. No joke!

I have came to the conclusion that I should just go used but the reason I didn't want to go used in the first place is because I had a bad experience with a used Schector from Guitar Center
Quote by Nicholas_Gage
Any heavy metal player is going to eventually switch to an active pup sooner or later. Its just bound to happen haha

by the way I had active EMGs and they were terrible so over saturated and muddy mess so you can keep your active
Do yourself a favor and check out Scott Groves on YouTube, he will set you straight on what to look for in the used guitar area.
Quote by Nicholas_Gage

That is the most ignorant thing ever to say. I used EMG's exclusively for nearly 4 years and changing to passives was the best decision i ever made. Sometimes i even use my American Tele with the standard custom shop pickups in it for playing metal. I don't by any means play light kind of metal either, but then again i don't play your Drop Z kind of stuff either. I'm not knocking on EMG's or anything because i honestly ****ing love them, but they're nowhere near as amazing as a lot of ignorant metal-heads seem to think.. Also the majority of guitarists using EMG's have a pretty shitty tone.
Quote by thrashhabbit666
by the way I had active EMGs and they were terrible so over saturated and muddy mess so you can keep your active

Yeah Kirk Hammett and Zakk Wylde are pretty awful guitarists for using EMGs
A lot of the PRS SEs have the wide-thin neck. I got a SE Custom 24 not too long ago for about $275 off eBay, but I'm not sure how it would far with thrash...
Quote by Nicholas_Gage

been playing metal for almost 30 years and have never been tempted to get actives. many of todays metal players don't use actives.
Active pickups operate beautifully when used with the appropriate gear, and when you know how to use them correctly. Will they push the front end of a crappy amp into mud? YOU BET! A hot passive can do the same thing. I think people jump into the wanting to change pickups thing a bit too quickly and for the wrong reasons. If you think that a pickup change is going to magically make you sound better,, guess again! You really should focus on playing cleanly and accurately, that will help with your sound more than anything. Then make the necessary adjustments to tailor sound.
But I regress, it's a bit off topic now. Buy Japanese guitars from 1978-1992. Google it! I guarantee you'll find some awesome axes!
MATSUMOKU!
OtQUOTE=vayne92]That is the most ignorant thing ever to say. I used EMG's exclusively for nearly 4 years and changing to passives was the best decision i ever made. Sometimes i even use my American Tele with the standard custom shop pickups in it for playing metal. I don't by any means play light kind of metal either, but then again i don't play your Drop Z kind of stuff either. I'm not knocking on EMG's or anything because i honestly ****ing love them, but they're nowhere near as amazing as a lot of ignorant metal-heads seem to think.. Also the majority of guitarists using EMG's have a pretty shitty tone.
I totally agree I usually play in e-flat or E- standard I'm not "Hardcore" enough for drop g or drop a I think the key to get a super heavy hardcore b00tul tone is to tune your guitar until the strings are about to come off :P lol I hate deathcore BTW
Last edited by thrashhabbit666 at May 25, 2014,
Quote by Nicholas_Gage
Yeah Kirk Hammett and Zakk Wylde are pretty awful guitarists for using EMGs

BTW I really don't like there tone.. i bet you've been playing guitar for about 11 months because I can tell your very uneducated about tone I almost guarantee your idea of a "Br00tul tone" is
On your 15 watt Line6 "Insane" Channel
:Scooped Mids
:Maxed out gain
:bass maxed out
And level and treble about mid way so not everyone likes a shit tone like you so if you want to be a smartass please go elsewhere
Last edited by thrashhabbit666 at May 25, 2014,
I'm not some f***ing metal head douche bag y'all. I play everything from Country to classic rock to heavy metal and I personally feel that EMG get the job done for me. I've played with passives and wanted the extra punch an active gives so that's when I switched. I've been playing since I was 10 and am just giving my personal preference.
Quote by Nicholas_Gage
I'm not some f***ing metal head douche bag y'all. I play everything from Country to classic rock to heavy metal and I personally feel that EMG get the job done for me. I've played with passives and wanted the extra punch an active gives so that's when I switched. I've been playing since I was 10 and am just giving my personal preference.

Thanks for your input
I didn't mean to make it sound like you absolutely just have to have an active pickup to play metal. I was saying that I'd recommend it. I dont even own a line 6 because they're sound is so ridiculously fake sounding that its unreal. I play through a Marshall MG30CFX because of the classic tone it gives
Last edited by Nicholas_Gage at May 25, 2014,
Quote by Nicholas_Gage
I didn't mean to make it sound like you absolutely just have to have an active pickup to play metal. I was saying that I'd recommend it. I dont even own a line 6 because they're sound is so ridiculously fake sounding that its unreal. I play through a Marshall MG30CFX because of the classic tone it gives

LOL really. dude you need to read some more threads here. can't remember the last time someone bragged about an MG while slamming a Line 6. not the way to get credibility here. while it's fine to give your OPINION make sure it's done in a way that doesn't offend (to many) and makes it sound like you know what you are talking about.
Quote by gorgthemeatpile

You have no idea what you're talking about if you think Blackouts result in a "sterile" guitar tone.

Quote by monwobobbo
LOL really. dude you need to read some more threads here. can't remember the last time someone bragged about an MG while slamming a Line 6. not the way to get credibility here. while it's fine to give your OPINION make sure it's done in a way that doesn't offend (to many) and makes it sound like you know what you are talking about.

Considering that most Line 6s are terrible, I see no issue. They try to be modelling amps, but end up sounding shitty.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 25, 2014,
Quote by Nicholas_Gage

Its ok and I like Marshall I just thought that you were one of those Br00tul Hard core kids btw I hate those people
Quote by stringDIA
But I regress, it's a bit off topic now. Buy Japanese guitars from 1978-1992. Google it! I guarantee you'll find some awesome axes!
MATSUMOKU!

This guy knows what's up, but beware of guitars that advertize "matsumoku" as that's often a stock phrase people put on Ebay guitars to sell them.

Some brands that make (made) quality vintage japanese guitars are Charvel, Jackson, Tokai, Burny, Greco and Squeir (the Bullet 1 line.)

You can absolutely play metal with passives. Gibson makes some killer passives for metal, or you can go with one of the "brootz metal" pickup companies like DiMarzio. Their passives are quite nice. A Super Distortion will kick ass. I should really rip my Super Distortions out of the guitar they came in and slap them in a guitar I actually play. Shame most of mine are single coils...

Go used or go home, TC. Don't expect anything good at new prices under $400. It's almost all junk. I know someone will come back with "but this guitar wasn't junk" and I realize that. Maybe that person got a particularly good instrument or maybe that company is one of the few that makes high-quality sub-$400 guitars, but MOST companies make absolute shit in that $100-350 price range.

Buuuuut... If you go used, you could get something really nice, like a used LTD-400 or 1000 series. The 1000 comes with real Duncans and a lot of other nice features. I'd sell you my Heartfield Talon 1 (heavily modded) since that would suit your needs, but it does need some work done to it due to its age, and I'd hate to stick someone from UG with a guitar that they have to put more money into.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You have no idea what you're talking about if you think Blackouts result in a "sterile" guitar tone.

Considering that most Line 6s are terrible, I see no issue. They try to be modelling amps, but end up sounding shitty.

and Mg's are trying to be amps but for the most part fail. as for the sterile complaint on many active pickups he's not the only one that has said that. many seem to feel that they yield a generic sound when used for metal. as with any gear it's all in how you use it. some players have gotten great tone out of them and oters do tend to sound like everyone else.
Quote by monwobobbo
and Mg's are trying to be amps but for the most part fail.

as for the sterile complaint on many active pickups he's not the only one that has said that. many seem to feel that they yield a generic sound when used for metal. as with any gear it's all in how you use it. some players have gotten great tone out of them and oters do tend to sound like everyone else.
Any actives...it's all with how you eq your amp. People who get "sterile tones" while using active pickups either have an amp with a bad tone (such as most $100 practice amps) or an amp that isn't really made for high output pickups (Fender Bluesman springs to mind) OR cut the crap out of the mids on their amp.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 26, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Any actives...it's all with how you eq your amp. People who get "sterile tones" while using active pickups either have an amp with a bad tone (such as most $100 practice amps) or an amp that isn't really made for high output pickups (Fender Bluesman springs to mind) OR cut the crap out of the mids on their amp.

fairly broad statement that really says nothing. don't eq amp right well sure but that can be said for any bad tone and has nothing to do with actives. amp not made for high output pups really? many have had plenty of success using actives and vintage guitar amps.

now I'm not saying that actives are sterile or can't be good at all. in some circumstances they can be but of course that can be said of any pickups. what I have noticed is that many metal bands that use them sound very much the same to my ears. (metal fan pretty much since there has been metal). this perception isn't just my own which I believe is part of what the knock on actives is based on.
For that budget I would go for one of the Fernandes guitars that someone had linked earlier, and try and get a used (good condition) Seymour Duncan Distortion, Black Winter, or maybe a used Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat or Black Hawk, as they are a little more versatile (IMO) compared to the War Pig and Aftermath, not to mention the Juggernauts probably have too much mids for your taste.