Hey all I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on what the best passive pickups (bridge and neck) might be for metalcore and hardcore tones and punch.

Sort of like bands, ie; August Burns Red/ Misery Signals/ Parkway Drive/ The Devil Wears Prada/ The Devil Wears Prada/ Himsa/ As I lay Dying.

I realize most of these bands these days will be using EMG or some other actives but I do also know before these bands started using active pickups, they would have been using passive.

My first go to choice would be Bareknuckle pick ups but sadly I am going to ask if anyone can refer anything from within the Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio range because it's all my local music store has and I am planning to buy and install them tomorrow and I'd like to save myself a little money at the same time.

I use a Les Paul replica stock pickups with fake semi hollow body (By fake I mean it is there, but it doesn't actually work like a semi hallow would and only a small portion of where the F hole is cut is hollow). I also use a Mesa rectifier cabinet with a 6505+ head.

In closing what passive pickups are best for metalcore from within the Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio range, both bridge and neck?
Last edited by bumpinthenight at May 22, 2014,
I'd personally go with a duncan distortion.

I'm not even sure parkway drive ever even used passive p/ups y' know.
I mean, if EMG81s work, why not getting them?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'd say maybe a SD distortion in the bridge and a SD '59 in the neck. That's what Lamb of God used a lot in the past but I know that that isn't necessarily the sound you are going for...

I have no idea what bands like what you gave examples of used to use when it came to passive pickups.
Quote by Spambot_2

I would think they would have. They started in 2003. I just have no idea which ones they might have used.
SD Distortion, Custom, and Alternative are all ones to look at for the bridge. For the neck, are you concerned about cleans?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
SD Distortion, Custom, and Alternative are all ones to look at for the bridge. For the neck, are you concerned about cleans?

What are the main differences between those pickups?

And I am somewhat concerned about cleans, although I would be wanting to play clean much less often then dirty. But I still want it to be somewhat viable. I hate muddy sounds when it comes to any pickup.
Quote by Spambot_2

I can't get actives in mine though because not enough room for batteries, etc
Quote by bumpinthenight
What are the main differences between those pickups?

And I am somewhat concerned about cleans, although I would be wanting to play clean much less often then dirty. But I still want it to be somewhat viable. I hate muddy sounds when it comes to any pickup.

The custom is the least aggressive of the bunch. It'll be more "musical" than the other two, while the Alternative and the Distortion are more chainsaw through your face. The distortion will give you more of the high end crunch than the Alternative, that you probably want. I almost got a Distortion myself.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/high-output/black_winter/

I just saw this too, it's probably worth a look. But I had never seen it before just now. I forgot about the Invader too. It's got ridiculous output and lots of bass, but reviews are pretty mixed on it.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Duncan JB is still my favorite from their line. Very versatile pickup and can sound quite brutal if you have the amp to back it up

From DiMarzio, I really like the D-Activator X (b) and D-Activator (n) I had in my Bernie Rico Jr... though now i have Bareknuckle Nailbombs in it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by tas38
The custom is the least aggressive of the bunch. It'll be more "musical" than the other two, while the Alternative and the Distortion are more chainsaw through your face. The distortion will give you more of the high end crunch than the Alternative, that you probably want. I almost got a Distortion myself.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/high-output/black_winter/

I just saw this too, it's probably worth a look. But I had never seen it before just now. I forgot about the Invader too. It's got ridiculous output and lots of bass, but reviews are pretty mixed on it.

Hm. Yeah the Duncan Distortion seems to be a very common suggestion. Maybe that could be the thing to go for in the bridge.

And what was your opinion on a neck pickup for my requirements if I may ask?
What about the Dimarzio D-Activators? those are designed to rival EMGs. Passive but have a hard attack like emgs do (emgs are actually low output, they just hit the amp hard). I find them to do what the emgs i replaced them with almost exactly (if not better) and it has a clean tone in addition (not saying emgs cant get a nice clean, but these are definitely better). Thats the very music i like to play and they do it very well. Versatile as well. They were made to be used as a set (no volume loss etc which i find true) and work well together. May want to check them out. Not the D activator Xs though, those are more designed for djent

Edit: If you were going to go Duncan distortion id go '59 in the neck
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at May 22, 2014,
SD Distortion with a '59 in the neck would be good.

Nothing from DiMarzio snaps to mind for me. The D Activators will work, and be good at it, but wouldn't be my personal go to. They're pretty dark.

Your amp will get you 95% of the way to the tone you want though, and you have the quintessential metalcore rig nailed down to a T. So really you could use just about any pickups. Since you have the rig, you could take a chance with something weird to get a cool sound.

Maybe something like a SD Alternative 8, or a DiMarzio Tone Zone. Something really fat and round.

EDIT: I want to throw in, that if you want to nail those tones, you should honestly get an EMG 81/85 set. There's a reason they all use EMGs to get that sound they have. It's just what works to get that sound. Passives will be different, and more importantly will feel different.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 22, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92

I want to throw in, that if you want to nail those tones, you should honestly get an EMG 81/85 set. There's a reason they all use EMGs to get that sound they have. It's just what works to get that sound. Passives will be different, and more importantly will feel different.

The problem is I wont be able to fit EMG's in the guitar, more specifically the battery pack and whatnot :/
Quote by Offworld92

Nothing from DiMarzio snaps to mind for me. The D Activators will work, and be good at it, but wouldn't be my personal go to. They're pretty dark.

Offworld just nailed it. wouldn't be my PERSONAL go to. Its a personal choice, listen to all of them and see what fits you most. Its your sound, noone elses. It only has to sound good to you,, and if it does, i guarantee somewhere someone else will like it too. Or atleast enjoy it because they see you are
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive