What's up guys, I'm not too sure if I'm posting this in the right area but ah well **** it.
I've been learning guitar for five months now and I've come to a point where I'm unsure of what I should start learning to improve my playing.

When I first started I just wanted to play anything and as Nirvana are my favourite band (yes I wasn't alive when Kurt died) I began learning them. I can play most of their riffs/songs because they are mostly power chords which I have no problems with. I might not have made much progress for 5 months but any progress is good progress right?

If I could get some suggestions on what I should look into learning (a certain bands music, songs, scales) I would be very appreciative

P.S: I do apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place
What I have done lately is decide what my favourite music is, what my favourite bands are and what all the elements are that go into making their music.

Then you can focus on learning all those elements as well as those bands songs.

So you could look at the chords they use, the scales, the tunings and the techniques that go into the songs like hammer ons, bends, vibrato etc.

This can give you a clearer road map of what to work on to play the type of music you like.
Quote by LTaces
What I have done lately is decide what my favourite music is, what my favourite bands are and what all the elements are that go into making their music.

Then you can focus on learning all those elements as well as those bands songs.

So you could look at the chords they use, the scales, the tunings and the techniques that go into the songs like hammer ons, bends, vibrato etc.

This can give you a clearer road map of what to work on to play the type of music you like.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I can say I have done this with Nirvana but it's all very basic, I will look more into other music I like, I have a huge taste is music, anything from 50's to heavy metal.

I think it's picking, and playing solos that I really struggle with, even solos as simple as Smells Like Teen Spirit, Californication, can cause me problems
Yeah, I struggle with solos too.

What I try to do is find the bit that's giving me trouble and playing it REALLY slowly maybe 5 to 10 times in the position its actually played in and then play it 4 times from the first fret all the way up to the 12th fret.

That way you've practiced it loads of times and slowly and perfectly too!!

The thing I've learnt the hard way with guitar is that you need patience.....a lot of patience.
Hey man, I think the most important point is to just love every second of it and to keep and open and curious mind. You're exploring an insanely vast universe and the journey will be personal to you. If you approach every challenge with a positive attitude you will unlock tangents and make the impossible feel like child's play.

In terms of immediate stuff, if you like Nirvana, do you like other 90s stuff? The obvious peers would be Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. The riffs are fun to play and good learning steps. For example, Soundgarden and AiC both have beastly Drop D riffs with some odd timing here and there to keep you on your toes. Pearl Jam has some iconic riffs and STP will open your mind to some odd (even jazz influenced) voicings like maj7 chords and stuff. From there, you can explore lead playing. For example, Cantrell's Man in the Box solo is a good one to slowly tackle. McCready has a lot of classic but speedy licks to work on.
Quote by LTaces
Yeah, I struggle with solos too.

What I try to do is find the bit that's giving me trouble and playing it REALLY slowly maybe 5 to 10 times in the position its actually played in and then play it 4 times from the first fret all the way up to the 12th fret.

That way you've practiced it loads of times and slowly and perfectly too!!

The thing I've learnt the hard way with guitar is that you need patience.....a lot of patience.

Thanks a lot, I did as you said, slowed it down a little and I've got the hang of a solo now!
Quote by Buttcheex8
Hey man, I think the most important point is to just love every second of it and to keep and open and curious mind. You're exploring an insanely vast universe and the journey will be personal to you. If you approach every challenge with a positive attitude you will unlock tangents and make the impossible feel like child's play.

In terms of immediate stuff, if you like Nirvana, do you like other 90s stuff? The obvious peers would be Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. The riffs are fun to play and good learning steps. For example, Soundgarden and AiC both have beastly Drop D riffs with some odd timing here and there to keep you on your toes. Pearl Jam has some iconic riffs and STP will open your mind to some odd (even jazz influenced) voicings like maj7 chords and stuff. From there, you can explore lead playing. For example, Cantrell's Man in the Box solo is a good one to slowly tackle. McCready has a lot of classic but speedy licks to work on.

I really appreciate your detailed post, thanks for taking your time to reply. I love anything from the 90's, I shall be taking everything you've said into account. I'm really looking forward to giving myself a challenge instead of playing the same stuff in my practice time. Thanks again man!