Hello, UG community, I'm going to build a guitar in the next few months, and need help. I know where to get good pickups, tuners, and bridges, but need help with a body. Iv got a couple slabs of maple, and would like to know, what would a good body shape to build? Iv got sanders, saws, and even access to CNC machines, but I would like to ask, what would a good body be to build? Please help.
Eric
Go for something weird and personal to you, try and design a custom shape.
gee, i like your pants.
Any shape body can be a good guitar. Just look at this:

What you need to do is come up with a shape you like. That being said, some shapes have certain advantages. Offset shapes are supposedly more comfortable to play while sitting down. Deep cutouts allow access to higher frets. But none of those are required, instead make something you'd love to look at and hold. I personally really like the shape of fender Jazzmasters, so if it were me, I'd come up with a similar shape.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Quote by Skar578

The neck should just end at the 15th fret.
gee, i like your pants.
Quote by chalkpie
The neck should just end at the 15th fret.

It really should. I don't like the design very much. I admit its rather unique, but not necessarily in a good way. But maybe it would have looked much worse if it just ended like that
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

If you're going for a square shape it has to be small. Steinberger have square guitars down to a tee.
gee, i like your pants.
Damn chalk, that is beautiful. I still don't like square guitars, but still.
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

People may disagree with me but the driving reason to create a guitar from scratch is so you can create a custom design and make it unique. Something that is yours that you won't see hanging in a shop.

You have an open palette, so start with the body.

If you just end up going with a tele or paul shape, you may as well get a kit shaped to the one you want and customise it or just buy a tele or paul.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
And this is also what I cant stand, in my town I'm unable to play a lot of guitar shapes, we really only have, strats, teles, super strats, LP, SG, etc.

Im thinking of unique shapes, but none of any practicality.
Everyone will have a different opinion as to what you should build. I'm no different; I'd like you to build what I think would be the ideal Tele by baking out it's most undesirable features and adding practical additions. It won't look like your Daddy's Tele, but it WILL be unique.

Tele's are heavy and the sharp corners around the forearm area are uncomfortable. Retain the Tele shape in general, but add forearm and body contours ala Stratocaster for maximum comfort when playing.

Also, there's enough room behind the neck pickup to add a single Strat-style pickup to the standard Tele pups for a 3-pickup configuration. Put a 5-way switch in there instead of the 3-way to add tonal versatility (5 tonal options instead of just 3).

You will need one volume and two tone pots. The bridge pickup doesn't need a tone pot.

Pick a maple neck with a 3+3 tuner pattern instead of the goofy-looking Tele headstock. This will help ensure that you don't get neck-dive from having removed wood while doing the contours and gives a unique look while adding practicality.

Final thought... maple is OK, but Ash will be a better wood choice IMO. And if you decide to build this configuration be sure to provide a review.
Im actually wanting to put a set of 72 thin line pickups in it, but I'm probably going tele, but a nice Bigsby would be cool, and the counter idea is very good.
Try to make a simple one, Fender-esque perhaps, then just add some carving onto it. If you want to go classic, go Les Paul, or try to make a Stratopaul to make everyone burn me at the stake.

Honestly, if it's a guitar that you're going to use, make sure the design lasts forever, not some box, or chopped up frankenstrat, or a spiky guitar which you probably won't use that long. Something modern with a hint of classic; hmm, try anything you want as long as it's comfortable and pleasing to your eyes.

Oh, and, please don't make this:
Nor should you imitate Fry's decision.