I just finished putting in new pickups, and they're all wired properly and working. I turned up my tone knob and received a little bit of a hum or buzz noise through my amp, which increased as I turned up the volume. Is this just because there are no strings on my guitar? Just want to know so I don't end up having to take the strings off and re do them, since I have a floating trem, it's a pain. It's my first time swapping pickups, but I believe I did them right,

Thanks.

My other guess is the output jack, where i had to re solder wires in order to get it to work
Last edited by ploxxies at May 22, 2014,
Nope, they're humbuckers. I put one string on, and I could hear it through the amp, there was just a lot of buzz when I turned up the tone knob...

- I have another cable/output jack (I ordered two pickups and each came with their own wiring kit), so if all else fails I could just drill a slightly larger hole that leads from the tone knob to the jack. Instead of cutting and resoldering lol.
I didn't do that... just took my old ones out and new ones in. Like I said, first time with guitar electronics. I thought it was only really necessary for single coil.

Apparently the pickups were pre shielded
Sounds like you missed a ground wire somewhere.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hmm, I'll ask EMG or my local guitar shop tomorrow or something... It was all the "solderless connection" stuff. Probably won't be too hard to get fixed.
Ah, that solderless system sounds like it's a pain in the ass, from what I've read here.

Those quick connects on EMGs are REALLY easy to NOT be plugged in all the way - double/triple check all of your plug ins and make sure that everything is plugged in completely first.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah they really are. I'd rather just stick to the classic way, but oh well, it'll be worth it in the end. I'll check all those tomorrow morning or so. What would you recommend doing after that? Do you think a shop would charge me a lot to fix it? Cause I don't really have a lot of free time due to classes and work...
If there are no strings on yes they will hum... the signal to noise ratio is zero so you will hear nothing but noise. It's probably fine.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
If there are no strings on yes they will hum... the signal to noise ratio is zero so you will hear nothing but noise. It's probably fine.

Hopefully that is the issue.
I'm certain that no matter what it is it'll be a simple fix. Thanks for your replies and if anyone has any other suggestions let me know.