Hi guys,

Relative beginner here, need some help with a technique that would help me avoid string buzz. This is not buzzing from improperly set up guitar. Here is my problem:

When I lift my finger off the 6th (and often the 5th) string - there is buzzing, the string vibrating against the fret as it lifts up. What can I do to improve my technique to avoid this buzzing?

I have tried just playing a single note and raising my finger as fast as possible - the buzz is still there. I've tried lifting the finger slowly - the buzzing is worse. I am certain it's a technique issue, since it happens on both my Strat and Epi, two totally different guitars, yet the exact same issue. All notes play just fine, there is no fret buzz otherwise, open strings play without buzz, etc. The action isn't low, I can strum all day and not hear buzz...

I am at my wits ends here. It doesn't really register when I play through an amp, but I know it's there and its bugging the hell out of me. Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks
I actually don't have to play.
I can simply pluck a single note and when I lift my finger - the aforementioned buzz occurs, mostly on 6th string, but sometimes on the 5th.
I am sure if someone has experienced this before they would know exactly what I'm talking about.
My suggestions would be; when you lift your finger off, mute the string to stop it ringing out, therefore eliminating any sound coming from it. Take your guitar to get set up properly, if it's happening on both of them it could just be coincidence, it could also be the strings you use are too thick for how low your action is, causing it to touch the metal dividing frets.
If you are pulling off to an open note on the 6th or 5th string, then make sure you are doing it properly, if you are lifting your fingers off the fret because you no longer want the note there, then make sure the note gets dampened instead of letting it ring out if you don't want it to. I can't really think of any other things that could be causing this problem without seeing it demonstrated.
Good luck
Quote by DrRus
I actually don't have to play.
I can simply pluck a single note and when I lift my finger - the aforementioned buzz occurs, mostly on 6th string, but sometimes on the 5th.
I am sure if someone has experienced this before they would know exactly what I'm talking about.

That doesn't make sense if you lift your finger, it pretty much becomes an open string. If anything, you're more likely to get a buzz from strumming an open string hard than doing a pull-off to open. Although to be honest I don't quite understand what problem you have exactly so I might just be interpreting your problem wrongly
Quote by Arron_Zacx
That doesn't make sense if you lift your finger, it pretty much becomes an open string. If anything, you're more likely to get a buzz from strumming an open string hard than doing a pull-off to open. Although to be honest I don't quite understand what problem you have exactly so I might just be interpreting your problem wrongly

The buzzing is not audible over an amp, only I (the player) can hear it.

It is the moment when I lift my finger off the string, for a split second the string vibrates and touches the fret as it rises, creating a buzz. That's why I assume is technique-related.