From what i can tell kind of looks like the winding's been cracked? It's still playable just, don't know if that's like a sign to change strings, even though it probably wouldn't hurt anyway.
Not the end of the world, its still playable, but you'll want new strings ASAP. If its happening consistently on the same string, you may need to file down your bridge. If its a one time thing and the strings are old or shitty, your bass is probably fine
Can't say I've noticed it before but filing the saddle to be winder probably wouldn't hurt, the string kind of sits on top of the groove instead of fitting into it nicely in it like the A or D string do...
Quote by helsem997
Can't say I've noticed it before but filing the saddle to be winder probably wouldn't hurt, the string kind of sits on top of the groove instead of fitting into it nicely in it like the A or D string do...

How long have you had the bass? Have you worked on a bass before? I dont recommend doing destructive work unless you're sure of what you're doing. Especially considering it would be a very cheap repair to do professionally

If you file the nut, the string will also be sitting at a different height. You will need to redo the action and the intonation on that string, and possibly change the pick up height
Last edited by bassalloverthe at May 23, 2014,
Had it for about 3 1/2 years now. Can't say I've done 'destructive' work before, but I've replaced machine heads, intonated, adjusted action and pickups before, dabbled in some wiring as well. And I wouldn't be filing the nut, I'd be looking to have the groove on the bridge saddle widened. Possibly a simpler fix would be to use low gauge strings but I'd rather not. Having it done by a pro was my intention (though that's my bad for not stating that), I don't have the tools, nor the steady hands, for something like that.
Quote by helsem997
Had it for about 3 1/2 years now. Can't say I've done 'destructive' work before, but I've replaced machine heads, intonated, adjusted action and pickups before, dabbled in some wiring as well. And I wouldn't be filing the nut, I'd be looking to have the groove on the bridge saddle widened. Possibly a simpler fix would be to use low gauge strings but I'd rather not. Having it done by a pro was my intention (though that's my bad for not stating that), I don't have the tools, nor the steady hands, for something like that.

My bad, I meant the bridge not the nut.

If you've done all that, it might not be a bad idea to try yourself. Just watch some youtube videos first haha. Personally, I know Id **** something up if I tried, but fortunately not all are as clumsy as I.
How old are those strings? They do wear out, and the point at which they bend across the bridge saddle is one place where they break. I think you need only a new set of strings.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley