I've been wondering for a while, but for some reason I rarely see teenagers or kids in general playing instruments for some reason.. Most of the guitar community from what I've noticed is people near their 50's am I the only one that's noticed this? People rarely play instruments I don't if it's always been like this, but anytime I go into a music shop there's barely people there most of the time it's empty, and if it's not empty then it's filled with people in their 40's-60's I never see kids or teenagers there for some reason..

The only time I'll see other kids is one youtube, and most of the time they're on some prodigy type of skill level lol. Why is it like that? It confuses me sometimes and I wonder if i'm the only one that notices this.
Last edited by Black_devils at May 23, 2014,
I think everyone just realized that you have to do a bit more than just carry the guitar to be cool.

Honestly, Im not convinced a lot of the people we imagine in our heads from the 60s and 70s really "played" guitar. Youve got to understand, everyone used to "play" piano too. Everyone had a piano and sheet music in their house during the 1800s
Maybe this is just in your area. I for one can never go into a music shop without seeing teenagers.

In fact if anything, it's generally older people that I rarely see.

Though if there is a dip you can probably bet that's it's due to more people buying gear online. The older people will always prefer to go into a shop and look and try things, whereas younger players will probably shop online as it's cheaper. I know that I rarely go to a shop for gear such as new cables, strings etc.
Quote by FrontmanShields
Maybe this is just in your area. I for one can never go into a music shop without seeing teenagers.

In fact if anything, it's generally older people that I rarely see.

Though if there is a dip you can probably bet that's it's due to more people buying gear online. The older people will always prefer to go into a shop and look and try things, whereas younger players will probably shop online as it's cheaper. I know that I rarely go to a shop for gear such as new cables, strings etc.

It might be to due to the reason that I live in Florida, but I swear it can't just be me I rarely see anyone play instruments, and if they do most of them only know a few basic chords like the college frat kids lol..
Quote by bassalloverthe
I think everyone just realized that you have to do a bit more than just carry the guitar to be cool.

Honestly, Im not convinced a lot of the people we imagine in our heads from the 60s and 70s really "played" guitar. Youve got to understand, everyone used to "play" piano too. Everyone had a piano and sheet music in their house during the 1800s

I had a conversation with a guy that lived during those eras, and the guy told me that only a small majority of people actually played back then I was thinking everyone was jamming with a guitar back then I guess not though.
I honestly think it's in your area. Yeah, not everyone plays guitar. But that doesn't mean that the ONLY people who play are in their 50s. Things haven't changed since the "good old days"; there's still a few kids who really enjoy music and happen to play guitar.

The one thing you might have noticed is that people got sick of kids who bring their dad's old acoustic to school as a tactic to get laid or lameass stuff like that.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I honestly think it's in your area. Yeah, not everyone plays guitar. But that doesn't mean that the ONLY people who play are in their 50s. Things haven't changed since the "good old days"; there's still a few kids who really enjoy music and happen to play guitar.

The one thing you might have noticed is that people got sick of kids who bring their dad's old acoustic to school as a tactic to get laid or lameass stuff like that.

I agree there has to be some kids around like around my age 16-19, but I never see them around lol... On another note I can't believe people just learn how to play the guitar just to get laid I've never even thought of using it like that I do it for the pure love of music, and being a musician. I would really like to meet some people up around my area that play, but unfortunately there are none .
Quote by Black_devils
I agree there has to be some kids around like around my age 16-19, but I never see them around lol... On another note I can't believe people just learn how to play the guitar just to get laid I've never even thought of using it like that I do it for the pure love of music, and being a musician. I would really like to meet some people up around my area that play, but unfortunately there are none .

The guys who "play guitar to get laid" are usually quite terrible and play whatever pop hit is big at the time. A few years back, it was "Hey There, Delilah". That was annoying, because 19 year old girls would ask for that song when you said you played guitar.

Anyway, there probably are some people in your area, unless you live out in the country.
I'd have said i noticed more of the younger crowd than older, but it's not like i've taken a survey on it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Every time I visit a music store there's always somebody trying some guitars and stuff like that. And they are most of the time younger than 50.

Actually I would say most of the people I see are teenagers or a bit older.

Also, I think everybody plays the guitar. If somebody plays something, it's always guitar. There were dozens of guitarists in our school.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
yeah same here.

admittedly that was in the 1850s, but still.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Every time I visit a music store there's always somebody trying some guitars and stuff like that. And they are most of the time younger than 50.

Actually I would say most of the people I see are teenagers or a bit older.

Also, I think everybody plays the guitar. If somebody plays something, it's always guitar. There were dozens of guitarists in our school.

I agree everyone has a guitar in there closet or just standing in their room, but they don't even know how to play it lol. I have a few family members like that every time I see a guitar in there room I'll ask them if they can play for me then they'll end up just saying that they don't know how to play.
Quote by Black_devils
I agree everyone has a guitar in there closet or just standing in their room, but they don't even know how to play it lol. I have a few family members like that every time I see a guitar in there room I'll ask them if they can play for me then they'll end up just saying that they don't know how to play.

That's because guitar is one of the easiest instruments to start playing - you just need to know the basic chords and you can play almost any pop song that exists. But many "guitarists" don't really go beyound that - they just learn a couple of rock riffs and the basic chords and that's it. I wouldn't even really call them guitarists.

But there are a lot of guitarists that can play pretty well too. In our school's orchestra there were like ten guitarists and I know there were a lot more in our school that could play the guitar. And it was a regular school. There are some music oriented schools too and I don't even know how many guitarists there are.

There are like 50 really good guitarists in the auditions of Finnish military band every year (it's a different band every year because in Finland it's mandatory to go to the army).

Guitar is the most popular instrument. Good guitarists aren't that rare and almost everybody is at least a bad guitarist.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
gotta stay based, gotta stay rare
while you freestylin kids on guitar are gonna stare