Hi there!

I can imagine this topic has been discussed before, but I just couldn´t find it anywhere....

What string gauge would you recommend me for a 6-string baritone with a 27-inch scale? It´s an ESP LTD EC401B, mahogany body, maple neck, active EMGs....

I don´t have that guitar yet and sorry, I don´t have the patience to experiment with string gauges, so I´m looking for other peoples advice....

I want to tune that guitar to drop A (80% of time), or keep it in standard B (20% of time) and will use it mostly as a rhythm guitar for high gain sludge/metal/hardcore.... not much soloing....

As for tension, I don´t like light strings, going out of tune every time I push too hard, I prefer strings with a bit more tension.... I have a 25,5 scale guitar tuned to drop D with 12-54 strings and a 25,5 scale tuned to open C (CGCGCE, Devin Townsend tuning ) with 12-56 gauge....

So with all the above mentioned, what string gauge would you recommend me for that 27-inch 6-string baritone? N.B. I haven´t found reliable info about the stock/factory gauge of that ESP, some sources state 10-46 but I just don´t believe that....

PLEASE don´t advise any gauge and tension calculators, I´ve seen some and I´m lost in translation....

Thank you in advance!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at May 23, 2014,
Quote by deadsmileyface
since you like heavy strings i would say go 14s

try 13s first and if they are too light go for 14

....so like 13-62? ....or 13-65? ....or 14-68? These are the gauges I found in the string offers...
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by KingChris90
I would put a sett of billy gibbons string 07-38

Nice try.... Scandinavian humour.... Please send my regards to my little brother who had to escape to your country because all of the debts he made here at home.... I mean.... please kick him in the ass for me....
Last edited by Airfish at May 23, 2014,
OK, so any other ideas, please?

What about the gauge for the low B string - although in theory I guess it could be on the heavier side, if I plan to tune it down to A.... so let´s say 13-65 instead of 13-62? Right?