Sometimes when I'm really high i will hear solos in my head that I want to play. Like to me it sounds like something i'd want to play if i could play those exact notes on the guitar. The problem is when I pick up the guitar I kind of skew what I wanted to play and end up forgetting how the riff was. Is there a way of tabbing out notes or otherwise figuring out notes without actually playing an instrument?
Sing them and record it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Like Steven said, sing it and record it... or train your ear so that you can recognise intervals and pitch, meaning you'll be able to tell what notes are being played in your head, this however will takes years of dedicated practice and you will more than likely never be able to do it perfectly.
I sing the riff and record it with my phone. Then I learn it on guitar later if I don't have one handy.

If you can't sit down and play what you hear in your head, you need to work on learning songs and solos by ear only. That's how you get started. learning basic theory helps as well ( major and minor scales, intervals, modes etc.). That's how you connect the dots between what plays in your head and what come out on the instrument. It also helps to sing out notes when you practice scales etc.

The good news is that if you can imagine good music in your head then it will eventually translate into your playing.
In case of melody, extract your brain and drop it in a hollow can. Then listen to it (or keep a sober musician around to remember it).
Quote by hanginout
Sometimes when I'm really high i will hear solos in my head that I want to play. Like to me it sounds like something i'd want to play if i could play those exact notes on the guitar. The problem is when I pick up the guitar I kind of skew what I wanted to play and end up forgetting how the riff was. Is there a way of tabbing out notes or otherwise figuring out notes without actually playing an instrument?

Ear training, ear training, ear training.

Transcribe. Use the functional ear trainer, get a book on ear training.

I have a theory, which is that when we have an untrained ear, we don't really hear pitches in our head. We hear vague ideas of pitches. They are not sharply defined, because our brain doesn't know how to process pitch precisely yet. (Like when you listen to someone speak a language you don't know - it can be hard to tell where the words are; another example is if you ask a non-musician to sing a solo, they'll see doo dee dip doo doo dee with all the same pitch, or basically random pitches; their brain doesn't know how to process pitches, so they switch the vowel sounds around instead).

So what happens to you is that you have this idea in your head, and you think it'll sound great, but you try to get it down and you can't because it doesn't actually exist. So even if you sing it into a recorder, it won't really be what you had in your head. The process of trying to turn those vaguely-defined pitches into your head into real sounds doesn't work, because the real sounds don't sound like you think they'll sound.

But as you train your ear, you'll become able to more precisely define those sounds in your head.

Ear training is a long, slow process. A little every day. But it pays huge dividends.
note do your ear training when you're not really high
Thanks for the great advice friends. Cheers. I will try to sing out the notes next time and work on my ear training.
Certainly aural training is the way to go but bear in mind that music theory is an integral part of aural training. If you have yet to get into theory I strongly advise it. Best wishes, Stuart