Hey all, long story short I'm in a barracks and I want to play my guitar. I live in close quarters with a lot of other people and my Bugera 6262 is way too loud. I have a Windows laptop with a recording program that I play through.

Problem is, my tone is god awful in this program. What would I get to give myself the variety of tone options? A Pre-amp or a Processor?

Suggestions?

Cheers!
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
A two-notes torpedo live filled with your favourite impulses used together with your bugera would give you awesome tone.
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
Ibanez: RG1527
Ibanez: RG1570
Ibanez: S7420
Ibanez: JS100
Dean: Razorback Cemetery Gates
Peavey: 6505+
Fractal Audio: Axe FX II mark 2
Mesa Boogie: Recto 4x12

7>6! Join the 7-string legion!
Quote by Hell Kaiser Ryo
A two-notes torpedo live filled with your favourite impulses used together with your bugera would give you awesome tone.

Anything more in the 150-300$ range? I'm not looking to break the bank on this!
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
I record my stuffs with a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB soundcard and it sounds absolutely professional. I think you can get the newer version (Scarlett) for like $100-150.

About the software, I recommend Reaper and either Guitar Rig or Amplitube.
Go read the interfaces sticky in the Recordings forum. Then read the amp sims sticky.

The only difference between playing through your computer & using it to record is that if you only want to play, you just don't hit the record button. Aside from that, you need the same kit & software.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Just about any multifx will do. It's not the recording program that makes your tone bad.
Quote by Boer Goat
Hey all, long story short I'm in a barracks and I want to play my guitar. I live in close quarters with a lot of other people and my Bugera 6262 is way too loud. I have a Windows laptop with a recording program that I play through.

Problem is, my tone is god awful in this program. What would I get to give myself the variety of tone options? A Pre-amp or a Processor?

Suggestions?

Cheers!

I bought an Eleven Rack off some guy on Craigslist brand new, he just wanted the Pro Tools out of the box. I paid $350 for it, sounds great plus you can record with it.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Get a decentish interface like a Focusrite Sapphire and better software like Guitar Rig 5.

Alternately get a hardware processor and a decentish interface.