So guys, I have a Fender Super Champ X2, and I'm looking for any way possible to improve the sound, and I'm thinking that new tubes may do the trick. Any suggestions for some high quality tubes to throw in this amp?
Tubes might do it. What sound problems are you having exactly? A new speaker or pickups might do the trick also.

What guitar are you playing through it? What problem are you having and what sort of sound do you wish to achieve?
I have the XD and recently put a set of JJs in it. The stock EH were fading fast after 5 yrs. I don't know if it will transform the sound of your amp though. What is it not doing now that you want tubes to fix? I really like the vintage tones in the XD.

One of the production issues on these amps is poor solder joints at the tube sockets. It sometimes presents itself as a crackle or nasty breakup. Re-soldering is an easy fix as long as you understand electricity and how fast the insides of a tube amp can kill you.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'm a fan of old GE 12ax7's. You can get used ones for bout $15. I've bought a few used, haven't had any problems and they sound more alive and organic. As mentioned before, a speaker swap would probably alter your tone more than a tube swap but good tubes help too, especially if you have crap tubes in it now.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by wildozer
Tubes might do it. What sound problems are you having exactly? A new speaker or pickups might do the trick also.

What guitar are you playing through it? What problem are you having and what sort of sound do you wish to achieve?

so I already have a rajun Cajun in there, and im running a les paul studio, I just want it to have a more dynamic response and warm feel
Wow, dynamic response and warm feel are the reasons I bought an XD as a cheap practice amp with small gig possibility. Mine is bone stock except recent tubes and sounds pretty sweet. It will not replace my Mesa as a gig rig though.

It is what it is and I doubt new tubes will change it's character much. Maybe roll off the tone and volume on your guitar just a bit and see if things warm up.

This guy does a pretty good demo of it's sweetest tonal moments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGeWr6dHvFk
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 25, 2014,