hey i am going to be upgrading the bridge pick up in my hagstrom super swede and have narrowed my search to a few choices.. first off is a Dimarzio super distortion and then a seymour duncan JB im looking for insight for which is the better all around pickup that can still deliver good distortion.....also my guitar store has a set of SD black winter pickups should i consider them or no....
what type(s) of music? what's your amp?

A JB is a decent all-rounder, sort of jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type pickup. you probably wouldn't go too far wrong with one but if you have specific things you want you can maybe do better, too. in a LP-type they can sometimes be a bit muddy on the low end (and personally I think they're a bit hot, I prefer a PAF-type or at least a hot-PAF type), but on the other hand JBs can sometimes sound a bit thin and LPs can help with that.

super distortion is a fairly classic-sounding ceramic pickup. bit like the jb in terms of being suitable for a pretty wide range of stuff.

i haven't tried them but black winters are very high output, very modern-sounding pickups, as far as i'm aware. i'd only get them if i were only (or mainly) playing really heavy metal type music.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 23, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
what type(s) of music? what's your amp?

A JB is a decent all-rounder, sort of jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type pickup. you probably wouldn't go too far wrong with one but if you have specific things you want you can maybe do better, too. in a LP-type they can sometimes be a bit muddy on the low end (and personally I think they're a bit hot, I prefer a PAF-type or at least a hot-PAF type), but on the other hand JBs can sometimes sound a bit thin and LPs can help with that.

super distortion is a fairly classic-sounding ceramic pickup. bit like the jb in terms of being suitable for a pretty wide range of stuff.

i haven't tried them but black winters are very high output, very modern-sounding pickups, as far as i'm aware. i'd only get them if i were only (or mainly) playing really heavy metal type music.

agree but for better answer knowing what you play music wise would be a big help. personally I prefer the DiMarzio for 70s hard rock stuff but the JB is good for many things.
the guitar im putting them in is an LP style and does have a fair bit of low end stock...i want a decent amount of output so i can pull off some heavy distorted rhythms but want to retain a little bit of the smooth cleans and also retain the coil tap ability...is there any other pick-ups that would fit that sort of sound im looking for, any suggestions
absolutely. for cleans would you ever be using the bridge pickup? if you just use the neck pickup for cleans then you don't have to worry about that. if you want to retain coil splitting ability you need to get 4-conductor pickups. most modern pickups are available in 4 conductor versions, you just need to make sure you specify that when getting them.

what's your amp?

what type of distorted tone? sorry for all the questions, but it's hard to suggest if we don't know. e.g. thrash metal? metalcore? classic rock? 80s rock? etc. If you could list some bands that'd help even more, rather than genres which are sort of open to interpretation
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play alot of metal but i hate the fact of being stuck in one type of music so i vary from smooth clean tones with some delay and reverb like Eric Johnson cliffs of dover type sound to a slight ac\dc esque sound to straight up heavily distorted chugging similar to a Ola Englund type sound
gotcha. so pretty much the full range, then.

i'd say something of middling output is the thing, so you have enough grunt for the heavier stuff but also so it sounds classic enough for the lighter stuff, too.

the duncan customs would be worth a look (there are 3 of them, one each with a ceramic, alnico II and alnico 5 magnet... the 5 might be the best all-rounder, though it can be a little scooped in the mids so that'd be worth bearing in mind... the LP-style guitar might compensate for that a little, though).

the JB would work too i think.

from dimarzio, i'm less well up on their middling ones- the norton and air zone might be worth a look but i haven't tried them. from what i have tried the tone zone might be too hot and dark while the paf pro is probably not hot enough (though both would probably work at a pinch). the super distortion would probably work, too, but might be a bit hot.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 23, 2014,
My amp is a bit of a frankenstein its basically its a Cube 20xl in a modified cab with a 12" Blue Marvel speaker (sadly havent got time to replace it with a celestion). i run my Line 6 pod 300 into the clean channel of the cube...
Quote by Llama-Guru
My amp is a bit of a frankenstein its basically its a Cube 20xl in a modified cab with a 12" Blue Marvel speaker (sadly havent got time to replace it with a celestion). i run my Line 6 pod 300 into the clean channel of the cube...

not the best setup to worry about different pickups. not saying it's a bad rig at all just that it probably won't really notice the difference. I do digital recording and have pretty much found that my strats for instance sound the same through my set up (POD into Zoom digital 8-track) the strats have totally different pickups and sound very different through my tube amps. my humbucker guitars suffer the same fate.
the bridge pick up needs to be replaced regardless as it is garbage so its going to happen its to nice of a guitar to not be playing because of a shitty bridge pick-up...the amp will be upgraded in the near future to a blackstar....i just want to get ideas...i really appreciate all the input
I'll tell you a good thing about the JB: it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what it will sound like. If you tweak it right, it will sound rather consistent in every guitar.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
The thing with this kind of thread is that this subject, especially when it comes to something like these 2 pickups in particular, is so subjective.

These are both excellent rock or metal pickups that will both probably do what you want them to do, and more. The thing is it takes years to develop the taste buds for the seasonings of these different pickups and discover which ones you really like better. You'll develop a bond with one certain brand or sound (or maybe a few)and start craving that flavor.

But for now you basically have to pick one and it'll do ya just fine. They're both stellar pickups. I can tell you that I definitely like the Super Distortion more. but that doesn't help you.
Dimarzio Norton in the bridge and PAF Joe neck comes to mind.
one of the best tools that you can have at your disposal is learning what the components in your guitars control cavity do and how changes in their values effect the sound of your guitar. These components are considerably cheaper than buying Pickups and are an excellent way to tailor your sound. YouTube is an excellent place to learn this.
Duncan custom or JB. You can't go wrong with those. Maybe even the new EMG Hetfield set or the 57/66. Both sets are good too and different from the 81 sound. The JB is hard to beat for versatility though and it's not extreme high output. There's a reason why it's been stock in so many great guitars over the last decades.