Hey guys. So, I purchased an Ibanez RG body, it's made of basswood. I was wondering... how difficult would it be to take a certain thickness off of the guitar (I dunno, maybe 50mm? Something) and install a maple top (burl or flame, one of the two) onto it? I'd be buying a piece of maple off of eBay and would have to do a bunch of saw work. I've never done woodwork before, sooo... any thoughts, guys?
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
I think you may have your measurements a little off - my RG is only about 46mm thick.

However, this is pretty much exactly what I did for my first project - shaved a body down and added a 10mm cap to it. I would thoroughtly recommend "wasting" a couple oi hours checking out the spiffy tops at Oregon Wild Wood
Quote by von Layzonfon
I think you may have your measurements a little off - my RG is only about 46mm thick.

However, this is pretty much exactly what I did for my first project - shaved a body down and added a 10mm cap to it. I would thoroughtly recommend "wasting" a couple oi hours checking out the spiffy tops at Oregon Wild Wood

WELL! I guess I meant like... 10mm or so : thanks for the info, though! I'll check all this out!
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
If your gonna do that, just get a Maple veneer and glue it on the top
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Might be a better idea - I had a heck of a time forming that thick top to the arm carve. In fact, when I tried to do it again on a subsequent project I failed big time. Veneer would be more pliable.
Quote by Robbgnarly

That's a good idea, yeah. I'm assuming veneers are very, very thin then?
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by Nico the Great
That's a good idea, yeah. I'm assuming veneers are very, very thin then?

Yeah, like 1/16" thick I don't know where your from but this will give you an idea
www.universaljems.com/cart/veneer.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, like 1/16" thick I don't know where your from but this will give you an idea
www.universaljems.com/cart/veneer.htm

Hmm, alright yeah that looks pretty nice. Now what tools would I use to carve out the guitar's shape/the holes for the pickups etc?

Sorry for all the questions, you guys have been very helpful.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
a sharp razor knife or an x-acto knife
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Veneer is way thinner than 1/16th most of the time. the veneer i use is 1 /42" thick. It is just like a piece of construction paper in wood form.
Much better plan to go with veneer. You can find better looking wood in veneer form.

OK, I was just trying to put it in perspective for TS so he could visualize a thin piece
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Veneer is way thinner than 1/16th most of the time. the veneer i use is 1 /42" thick. It is just like a piece of construction paper in wood form.
Much better plan to go with veneer. You can find better looking wood in veneer form.

Oh wow. If it's that thin then yeah I could just use an x-acto knife like Robbgnarly said.

Thanks for all the tips, everybody!
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
as said veneer is easier and looks better for lower cost ... but .... thats fine if you just want to change the look of your guitar but if you want to add something to the tone the a veneer won't do it.
I, like the second post have done a full new cap onto a body and while it is quite tricky (because often you will have to adjust the height or angle of the neck) the tonal change is massive (esp adding maple to basswood...which is what I have done twice) and well worth the extra effort