So I'm pretty new, got my guitar 2 years ago, my amp sucked, but now I've got my Vypyr VIP 1, which is pretty good.

I'm wondering what I should do from here, I'm almost an absolute beginner, I can play a small portion of Smoke on the water, 7 nation army, james bond theme, seek and destroy (which I struggle with) and Wasted Years intro.

I learn this via looking at Youtube videos. Is the most effective way at learning to look at youtube videos and just try to play songs this way, and learn through trial and error, and eventually increasing the difficulty of the songs, or should I be doing something else?

Also, how do I figure out amp settings on my Vypyr? (vypyrsettings.fr has a virus)

I have been posting a lot, I really do appreciate those who have been helping me, and I really like this community a lot. I can't wait to get stuck in.
I would download guitar pro. Really look into reading tabs. Get outside your box and play different styles like some 80s metal and then some new rock and 90s rock, even some old country. That will really expand your playing abilities. And get your feet wet with music theory. Start trying new techniques really slow like sweep picking and tapping and legatos. Practice new licks with a metronome as well. Good luck with it
Quote by mabbamam
I would download guitar pro. Really look into reading tabs. Get outside your box and play different styles like some 80s metal and then some new rock and 90s rock, even some old country. That will really expand your playing abilities. And get your feet wet with music theory. Start trying new techniques really slow like sweep picking and tapping and legatos. Practice new licks with a metronome as well. Good luck with it

Reading tabs and trying to play them is okay, and starting off simply then trying out new techniques/progressing to harder tabs sounds okay... but... theory sounds boring!
check up justin guitar, it's a website with lessons. very good, and free (though he takes donations).

what type of settings do you want? i'm not really familiar with the vypyr but normally with modelling amps if you set it to the "right" amp for the type of music you want to play that'll get you 90% of the way there. set all the other knobs (low, mid, high, pregain) at 12 o'clock and just set the volume (the master volume and post gain) so it's at a comfortable level.

E.g. Fender blackface model (TWN) for cleans and american blues

British (vox ac30 model) for the beatles, queen, shadows. stuff like that- from fairly clean to moderately distorted.

butcher would be your classic to hard rock setting.

6505, 6534 and xxx will do metal

peavey complicates it slightly by having 3 different channels for each model (most modelling amps just have the one). so if you want, say, a metal tone you'd want to be on the red channel of a suitable amp, most likely, since the green channel is said amp model's clean channel, orange is its crunch channel and red is its lead/distortion channel.

EDIT: i enjoy a little bit of theory, but it's totally up to you. a little bit means you have to learn less and actually understand what you're doing, but if you're only starting there's no need to get bogged down in it, and just practising/playing might be a better use of your time anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 23, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
check up justin guitar, it's a website with lessons. very good, and free (though he takes donations).

what type of settings do you want? i'm not really familiar with the vypyr but normally with modelling amps if you set it to the "right" amp for the type of music you want to play that'll get you 90% of the way there. set all the other knobs (low, mid, high, pregain) at 12 o'clock and just set the volume (the master volume and post gain) so it's at a comfortable level.

E.g. Fender blackface model (TWN) for cleans and american blues

British (vox ac30 model) for the beatles, queen, shadows. stuff like that- from fairly clean to moderately distorted.

butcher would be your classic to hard rock setting.

6505, 6534 and xxx will do metal

peavey complicates it slightly by having 3 different channels for each model (most modelling amps just have the one). so if you want, say, a metal tone you'd want to be on the red channel of a suitable amp, most likely, since the green channel is said amp model's clean channel, orange is its crunch channel and red is its lead/distortion channel.

EDIT: i enjoy a little bit of theory, but it's totally up to you. a little bit means you have to learn less and actually understand what you're doing, but if you're only starting there's no need to get bogged down in it, and just practising/playing might be a better use of your time anyway.

Thank you so much dude.

To be honest, I think you're an imposter.

Also,

You don't really play guitar, you just study it and provide help on the forums to everyone, you're everywhere!
What kind of sound do you want from your amp? I have the exact same amp so perhaps I can help with that!
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Quote by songbird64
What kind of sound do you want from your amp? I have the exact same amp so perhaps I can help with that!

YAY

Well..

Do you have Skype or something? I have quite a few songs xD

Mainly rock/metal, both old and new
No I don't have Skype. Sorry But I will try to explain the best I can
Okay here it goes...
First things first:
Make sure you NEVER plug in or unplug the guitar while the amp is turned on or if the knobs are turned up on your guitar It could mess it up.
On the amplifiers knob if you push it you can change how it sounds. For example if the light is red it means it is on distortion. if you press it it will go to green which means it is clean. If you press it one more time it is on overdrive which is orange.
Use the Pre-gain and Post-gain to change the amount of distortion/overdrive.
Use the Low knob to change how much bass you want. Use the mid knob to change how much in-between sounds. Use the high knob to change the amount of treble. For example if I wanted a warmer more mellow sound I turn up the low and mid knobs and turn down the high knob.
As for amps Classic, XXX, Budda, and Twn can do awesome clean sounds
My personal favorites for distortion are XXX, 6534, 6505, and British.
For overdrive Butcher, Budda, 6505, and XXX work great!
For the inst/stomp knob just play around with that and have fun! The Acs/Bss setting
lets you simulate the acoustic and bass guitar. Which is awesome by the way.
If you hold down the amp knob it will go into tuning mode. Next to the names of the amps it will have a letter. The light will light up next to whatever string your guitar sounds like. On the effects knob it will show you the pitch. Tune your guitar so that it goes green on that knob.
The Tap Tempo light will show you how fast the last note you play plays again. Punch the button to the left of the light to get the desired sound back. For example if i press it in a 4/4 fashion that is the speed that the sound will come back.
Remember to just play around and experiment. When I first got this amp I was so overwhelmed by all of the adjustments that I didn't even use it for two whole months! Just don't get discouraged, it will come come to you if you play around with it enough. Experiment with different sounds and have fun!
If you have any more questions just post them in this thread. I will check it and try to help you out! Good luck!
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Last edited by songbird64 at May 23, 2014,
Quote by JediArron
Reading tabs and trying to play them is okay, and starting off simply then trying out new techniques/progressing to harder tabs sounds okay... but... theory sounds boring!

Theory may be boring (it's really not that bad), but it is the most useful thing I've ever learned. I've played guitar for only four years but I can sweep, play a few fascinating songs (like Let Your Glory Shine by Lincoln Brewster) that require legato and vast knowledge of modes, scales, and keys. I don't care how boring it might seem, GET INTO MUSIC THEORY.

Rock and country are two of the easiest genres to play on guitar: lots of power chords and some bends which sound a little better than monotonous rhythm. Then, I would suggest getting into some jazz. I haven't really done that myself, but what little I have has helped me along in guitar. Jazz incorporates a lot of techniques, so once you get them down, go to jazz; it helps to learn how to connect them.

Then, once you've mastered those techniques, get into some sweeping. It's lots of fun but takes a while to get it down just right. I'm still improving myself.

Have fun and I wish you the best in your guitar journey, bro!
*le me *le forum person
Quote by songbird64
No I don't have Skype. Sorry But I can try to explain the best I can

I see

What settings should I use for Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple and Seek and Destroy by Metallica, and maybe AC/DC Back in Black if you know?
Quote by uto998
Theory may be boring (it's really not that bad), but it is the most useful thing I've ever learned. I've played guitar for only four years but I can sweep, play a few fascinating songs (like Let Your Glory Shine by Lincoln Brewster) that require legato and vast knowledge of modes, scales, and keys. I don't care how boring it might seem, GET INTO MUSIC THEORY.

Rock and country are two of the easiest genres to play on guitar: lots of power chords and some bends which sound a little better than monotonous rhythm. Then, I would suggest getting into some jazz. I haven't really done that myself, but what little I have has helped me along in guitar. Jazz incorporates a lot of techniques, so once you get them down, go to jazz; it helps to learn how to connect them.

Then, once you've mastered those techniques, get into some sweeping. It's lots of fun but takes a while to get it down just right. I'm still improving myself.

Have fun and I wish you the best in your guitar journey, bro!

Where should I start for theory then?
Quote by songbird64
No I don't have Skype. Sorry But I will try to explain the best I can
Okay here it goes...
First things first:
Make sure you NEVER plug in or unplug the guitar while the amp is turned on or if the knobs are turned up on your guitar It could mess it up.
On the amplifiers knob if you push it you can change how it sounds. For example if the light is red it means it is on distortion. if you press it it will go to green which means it is clean. If you press it one more time it is on overdrive which is orange.
Use the Pre-gain and Post-gain to change the amount of distortion/overdrive.
Use the Low knob to change how much bass you want. Use the mid knob to change how much in-between sounds. Use the high knob to change the amount of treble. For example if I wanted a warmer more mellow sound I turn up the low and mid knobs and turn down the high knob.
As for amps Classic, XXX, Budda, and Twn can do awesome clean sounds
My personal favorites for distortion are XXX, 6534, 6505, and British.
For overdrive Butcher, Budda, 6505, and XXX work great!
For the inst/stomp knob just play around with that and have fun! The Acs/Bss setting
lets you simulate the acoustic and bass guitar. Which is awesome by the way.
If you hold down the amp knob it will go into tuning mode. Next to the names of the amps it will have a letter. The light will light up next to whatever string your guitar sounds like. On the effects knob it will show you the pitch. Tune your guitar so that it goes green on that knob.
The Tap Tempo light will show you how fast the last note you play plays again. Punch the button to the left of the light to get the desired sound back. For example if i press it in a 4/4 fashion that is the speed that the sound will come back.
Remember to just play around and experiment. When I first got this amp I was so overwhelmed by all of the adjustments that I didn't even use it for two whole months! Just don't get discouraged, it will come come to you if you play around with it enough. Experiment with different sounds and have fun!
If you have any more questions just post them in this thread. I will check it and try to help you out! Good luck!

Thank you very much. I love you.

I guess I just need to know where to start, I think I will start a bit of theory after messing around with it for a while. However, before the theory, I want to spend a few days perfecting some riffs, i.e. Iron man, smoke on the water, sections of seek and destroy, james bond theme

After these few days I will start theory, but I'm not even sure what that means or is, all I just know is that I should start theory somehow xD I know it's different picking styles tapping/alternate picking/powerchords etc? But I'm sure there's more to it, but I don't know what else classifies under theory.

Really appreciate the help you put in. One slight problem with the tuner, though. When I try and use the tuner, sometimes no light shows up and I have to wait for the tuner to be on for 30s for the light to show up.

Sometimes the wrong letter chord shows up i.e. an A or a G when I'm tuning the low E string.

Sometimes (most of the time) the meter to tell me if I'm too low or too high just spazzes out, and goes left right left right and different values and doesn't stop on a certain value if that makes sense? It doesn't give a clear reading and just goes all over the place, so I can't use it to tune the guitar.

Any ideas on what to do, and has this happened to you?
Quote by JediArron
I see

What settings should I use for Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple and Seek and Destroy by Metallica, and maybe AC/DC Back in Black if you know?

For Smoke on the Water maybe the British amp with distortion and turn down the low knob and turn up the high.
I can't really figure out Seek and Destroy. Perhaps 6534 with distortion turned way up and low on 4 mid on 2-3 and high on 6? I don't really know. That is the closest I could get...

As for Back in Black 6505 with distortion. Use the setting that comes up automatically.

Hope it works. If you play around you should be able to figure it out
Quote by JediArron
Thank you very much. I love you.

I guess I just need to know where to start, I think I will start a bit of theory after messing around with it for a while. However, before the theory, I want to spend a few days perfecting some riffs, i.e. Iron man, smoke on the water, sections of seek and destroy, james bond theme

After these few days I will start theory, but I'm not even sure what that means or is, all I just know is that I should start theory somehow xD I know it's different picking styles tapping/alternate picking/powerchords etc? But I'm sure there's more to it, but I don't know what else classifies under theory.

Really appreciate the help you put in. One slight problem with the tuner, though. When I try and use the tuner, sometimes no light shows up and I have to wait for the tuner to be on for 30s for the light to show up.

Sometimes the wrong letter chord shows up i.e. an A or a G when I'm tuning the low E string.

Sometimes (most of the time) the meter to tell me if I'm too low or too high just spazzes out, and goes left right left right and different values and doesn't stop on a certain value if that makes sense? It doesn't give a clear reading and just goes all over the place, so I can't use it to tune the guitar.

Any ideas on what to do, and has this happened to you?

Yes that has happened before. The tuner can be a real pain in the butt. I usually use my clip on tuner. It is much faster.
And for theory I actually have never technically learned theory. I tried but I just couldn't stand it. To me it is more helpful to know theory if you play the piano, not the guitar. The main thing is to learn to read TAB. I am a 100% self taught player (most of my info came from UG before I even had my account) so I am not very into the technical stuff. What I did was start on songs that had 3 different chords and went from there. As I got better at those songs I learned ones with chords i didn't know and then went to barred chords. Same thing with playing riffs. To me the learning method depends on the person. Some people need/enjoy theory while other can do it fine by without it. Just think of how many guitarists taught themselves! None of the Beatles could even read music, yet they are the most successful band in the world! Just do what feels natural to you. And try to not make playing the guitar feel like a chore you have to do every day. You will just be uninspired that way
Last edited by songbird64 at May 24, 2014,
Also what kind of guitar do you have? Don't forget to play around with the knobs and pickups on it too.
Quote by songbird64
Yes that has happened before. The tuner can be a real pain in the butt. I usually use my clip on tuner. It is much faster.
And for theory I actually have never technically learned theory. I tried but I just couldn't stand it. To me it is more helpful to know theory if you play the piano, not the guitar. The main thing is to learn to read TAB. I am a 100% self taught player (most of my info came from UG before I even had my account) so I am not very into the technical stuff. What I did was start on songs that had 3 different chords and went from there. As I got better at those songs I learned ones with chords i didn't know and then went to barred chords. Same thing with playing riffs. To me the learning method depends on the person. Some people need/enjoy theory while other can do it fine by without it. Just think of how many guitarists taught themselves! None of the Beatles could even read music, yet they are the most successful band in the world! Just do what feels natural to you. And try to not make playing the guitar feel like a chore you have to do every day. You will just be uninspired that way

"None of the Beatles could even read music, yet they are the most successful band in the world! Just do what feels natural to you. And try to not make playing the guitar feel like a chore you have to do every day. You will just be uninspired that way "

Very solid advice, which gets me out of learning whatever theory is. I'm just going to watch youtube videos and follow your advise. Do you have any songs for noobs?
Theory becomes more enjoyable the more you progress in my experience.I kinda just learn what i need at the time and over years have built up my knowledge of theory,I don't know everything but i know enough.I actually kind of enjoy it now,It is very enlightening when something sudenly clicks into place and you understand what's going on.Don't let the word 'theory'put you off.If you are serious about playing the guitar and stick with it you will naturally gravitate towards learning the 'theory' behind what you're playing,Specially when improvising.
You're learning to play a musical instrument...how to you expect to make any real progress without learning anything about music? Tab is a great help when it comes to learning songs but it doesn't actually teach you anything, in the same way that doing painting by numbers doesn't make you an artist or really teach you how to paint. Sure you get an end result, but you don't have any real understanding of what you've done and you gain very little in the way of actual knowledge you can use for yourself. At the end of the day it's your choice, if you just want to be able to learn songs parrot fashion then that's up to you, but if you want to actually learn how to play the guitar then you need to approach it in the same way as you'd approach any other musical instrument.

However guitarists are the only group of "musicians" where you find people who are so arrogant/lazy as to not only regularly avoid theory, but actually encourage others not to which is ludicrous.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by JediArron
"None of the Beatles could even read music, yet they are the most successful band in the world! Just do what feels natural to you. And try to not make playing the guitar feel like a chore you have to do every day. You will just be uninspired that way "

Very solid advice, which gets me out of learning whatever theory is. I'm just going to watch youtube videos and follow your advise. Do you have any songs for noobs?

For me it was easier to get an easy beginner song book of one of my favorite bands so I could see the chords in front of me with the fingerings and strumming pattern for them rather than watching someone on youtube, which is helpful also. It depends on the song. Maybe buy a chord book like this one http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Picture-Chords-Color-Chord/dp/0825618932 It will show all of the chords you need with variations of chords.
I don't really know what kind of music you really like or your playing abilities, but Oasis has some really easy songs as far as chords go. Especially Don't Look Back in Anger because there are only two sections of chords you have to memorize. Nirvana is good for barred chords. Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley chords are really easy and it sounds cool if you play one note at a time. Imagine is pretty simple also. I know none of these are metal. Sorry about that. I don't play a ton of metal so I don't know really any easy stuff. Maybe this list could help you: http://guitar.about.com/od/top-tabs-by-genre/tp/Item_count-Easy-Heavy-Metal-Guitar-Tabs.htm
And for lead and solo stuff Nirvana is super easy. And this version of Wish you were Here is pretty easy too http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/pink_floyd/wish_you_were_here_ver4_tab.htm
I also found it helpful to simulate the bass through your amp and to play some bass stuff. It is generally easier and it teaches you some of the basic techniques. Since the bass usually just have four strings, don't use the high e and b strings. The rest of the strings are the same as the bass. Come Together is an easy bass song.
Also for fingerpicking I found this book to be fairly helpful: http://www.amazon.com/The-Fingerpicking-Technique-Bible-Guitar/dp/0785826793 It comes with a cd and is divided into lessons. On the cd different tracks correspond with different lessons. They will demonstrate the technique in that lesson. I read some of the book, but after a while I didn't need it. I guess that is the closest I got to theory.
I do not recommend most of The Beatles' stuff for beginners because they often change strumming patterns, tempos, and throw in random chords.
This is just my method. It may or may not work for you. Good Luck!

EDIT: I am not trying to discourage theory, I am just saying what worked best for me.
By all means learn theory, I don't care. It just wasn't that helpful to me. I DO believe in doing what is best for you not what other people might say. Everyone is different. Some people can pick up an instrument and learn very fast while others need an instructor to show them.
Last edited by songbird64 at May 26, 2014,
Quote by JediArron
I have a BC Rich Virgin VG1. It's a virgin, just like me.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/b_c_rich/virgin_vg1/index.html

You are right, I forgot the 2 nobs and the 3 setting switch on my guitar.

Looks like a pretty nice guitar. I have a fake Les Paul (can't afford a Gibson) so some of the amp settings I mentioned earlier may not work for you. The 3 setting switch is probably to change what pickup you are using by the way.
Quote by mabbamam

Currently trying Ace Of Spades. That's 80s and cause it's Motorhead and the head rules
Quote by JediArron
Thank you so much dude.

To be honest, I think you're an imposter.

Also,

You don't really play guitar, you just study it and provide help on the forums to everyone, you're everywhere!

hehe if i spent as long practising as i did on forums i'd be pretty good i think

Quote by JediArron
I see

i'd probably use the butcher for all of those, assuming it sounds pretty marshally (the manual implies it does). early metallica is marshall (whereas later is more mesa dual rectifier). i think deep purple is marshall and ac/dc certainly is. use less pregain (say 3-5) for ac/dc and deep purple, and more (maybe 7-8) for metallica.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 24, 2014,
Quote by steven seagull
You're learning to play a musical instrument...how to you expect to make any real progress without learning anything about music? Tab is a great help when it comes to learning songs but it doesn't actually teach you anything, in the same way that doing painting by numbers doesn't make you an artist or really teach you how to paint. Sure you get an end result, but you don't have any real understanding of what you've done and you gain very little in the way of actual knowledge you can use for yourself. At the end of the day it's your choice, if you just want to be able to learn songs parrot fashion then that's up to you, but if you want to actually learn how to play the guitar then you need to approach it in the same way as you'd approach any other musical instrument.

However guitarists are the only group of "musicians" where you find people who are so arrogant/lazy as to not only regularly avoid theory, but actually encourage others not to which is ludicrous.

Your analogy really hit me, I will learn the theory, maybe not now but in the near future.
Quote by epic FUZZ
Currently trying Ace Of Spades. That's 80s and cause it's Motorhead and the head rules

Yay Motorhead, going to see them at Barclaycard British Summer Time along with Black Sabbath, South Garden, Faith No More and Soulfly

Not really sure about the other bands apart from Black Sabbath and Motorhead, but I'm gonna try and get into them before I go.
Quote by steven seagull

Your post really got to me too. You have changed my mind about theory. Thank you for that!