Looking for suggestions on single coils. I don't want that super bright/tinny tone that the standard fender pickups have but I don't want something totally flat either. I guess something with a little more warmth than the standard Fenders, closer to what you see from the Edge. Don't want to break the bank either if possible.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Which fender pickups did you not like? Fender makes a bunch. (If you only know the guitar, list that and we can look it up, no worries.)

What are your budget and location? Just country will do, don't post your address (LOL), where you are affects prices and availability a lot.

What amp are you using? That affects the tone you can get a lot too. Also what guitar? I'm guessing a Fender Strat of some description, but knowing for sure wouldn't hurt, either.

Welcome to the forum, by the way And sorry for all the questions, but we just want to give you the best possible advice we can.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good questions. I'm in the US. The fender was a buddies stock American Strat. I'm playing though a pevy bandit 112 but this will be changing. Budget is hopefully no more than $130 or so including nee pots and switches.
Quote by columbiar
Good questions. I'm in the US. The fender was a buddies stock American Strat. I'm playing though a pevy bandit 112 but this will be changing. Budget is hopefully no more than $130 or so including nee pots and switches.

well the Edge runs his strat though a fancy rack system so way more to that sound than pickups. what amp are you thinking of getting. that might help more than a pup change.
Quote by monwobobbo
well the Edge runs his strat though a fancy rack system so way more to that sound than pickups. what amp are you thinking of getting. that might help more than a pup change.

yeah.

do you know which fender strat it is (the year, I mean)? the more recent ones changed the pickups to "fat 50s" ones (and I haven't tried them ). I think the older USA standard strats had a hotter bridge pickup. not massive output but fairly hot, at least for a single coil.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Stock USA Fender pickups sound pretty badass to me. If your neck or middle pickup sound tinny, it ain't a pickup problem. Check out the tone controls on your amp. Most great Strat players roll off the tone when playing the bridge pickup to get that great woman tone with a little bite. Here Scott Henderson demonstrates how to get great tone on a Suhr Strat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_VSjadCiU
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by monwobobbo

very true. Not trying to copy his sound, just more warmth and less bite. What about emg hz single coils?
Roll the tone down a little on a Strat maybe?My 'Fat Fifties' sound pretty nice backed off a little.
Quote by columbiar
very true. Not trying to copy his sound, just more warmth and less bite. What about emg hz single coils?

not the way to go. normally I'd suggest Lace Sensors for those looking for new strat pups but in your case they may not be the answer. perhaps one the DiMarzio Zone series pickups would work as they are stacked for humbucking purposes which should calm the treble end some.
You know, I think I'm just going to get a set of tex mex pickups, dial back the tone and call it good. As cheap as they are ($67 on amazon) I can switch them out later if I want.