How do these compare with the Gibsons since Gibson isn't making them any more as far as I can tell.
I've played one and they're very good for what they are. The one I tried played very well. I'd say they're a great option if you want to get a Metallica-ish guitar affordably.

The way they compare to Gibsons is the same that can be said as to how Epiphone measures up to Gibson in general.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 23, 2014,
Quote by stringDIA
Check out a Hamer Standard or Hamer Blitz

will do. Didn't know hammer still made explorers.
I mean used ones from the late 70's to early 80's. And the model is called a Standard, please. Don't waste your money on new, the older stuff is better. I own a Hamer Standard and personally I think the only Gibson Explorer that can compete with it is an Explorer from the Norlin era. Yep, I can hear the gasping in horror already, ha ha!
Last edited by stringDIA at May 25, 2014,
Are they top heavy or balanced? I've got a pre lawsuit esp that is really poorly balanced.
Quote by columbiar
Are they top heavy or balanced? I've got a pre lawsuit esp that is really poorly balanced.

I'd gladly take that off your hands, sir.
Play a few of the Gibson models before you try the epiphone. The Gibson Explorers generally have a deeper tone than a Les Paul. Not as "wide/open" sounding. I'd just play a few so you know what to hear for when you plug in the Epiphones. All new Epi's play pretty great and sound great on their own with a bit of a setup. The issue is if you have to play a bunch to find the one that gets you 90% "there" of a Gibson equivalent.

The biggest issue is the Chinese lady that winds pickups for 75 cent an hour is not a tone fiend. They go from Very Shit electronics to Very Good. This is where Epi's usually get their bad reputation.
Last edited by cheesefries at May 26, 2014,
Pickups wouldnt be an issue. They would get changed out with EMG's straight away.
Look for a used Epi Thunderhorse Explorer. Comes with Burstbuckers and feels pretty solid overall.

Wish I could give you a better review, but I haven't been playing guitar a ton recently. =/
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Quote by columbiar
Pickups wouldnt be an issue. They would get changed out with EMG's straight away.

grab the epi and rock on.

fine guitar for the prices they go for used.
Quote by columbiar
How do these compare with the Gibsons since Gibson isn't making them any more as far as I can tell.

Gibson isn't making them any lless, either. These have never been consistent production items; Gibson just makes runs of them now and again and allows demand to build in between.

Explorers and Firebirds from Gibson have, recently, been a bit shoddy in the finish department. Quite honestly, you may actually be getting quite a bargain by buying the Epiphone version.
Quote by cheesefries
The issue is if you have to play a bunch to find the one that gets you 90% "there" of a Gibson equivalent.

The biggest issue is the Chinese lady that winds pickups for 75 cent an hour is not a tone fiend. They go from Very Shit electronics to Very Good. This is where Epi's usually get their bad reputation.

The big machine that winds multiple pickups at a time at Gibson doesn't seem to be a tone fiend, either. FWIW, the big machine that winds multiple pickups at a time at Epiphone (there is, of course, no "chinese lady" who does this) is a bit more modern. The folks who load them with bobbins and wire, set the counter for a pre-determined number of winds and who then remove them from the machines for assembly are, in both cases, task trained individuals and none of them tone fiends. Gibson does, however, add unicorn farts and fairy dust at a later stage of assembly.

You may find that you really don't want to be anywhere near the "Gibson equivalent" on these guitars; it's all a matter of personal taste (or the lack of it). I've got a number of exploder-style guitars that have ranged in price from the Carvin V220 through a custom bolt neck version to a very expensive Moonstone version, and at no point was the Gibson version a frontrunning choice.
Quote by stringDIA
Check out a Hamer Standard or Hamer Blitz

i had one for 24 hours. not a bad guitar, actually a pretty nice guitar. i would take one over a typical epi any day. but i would take a gibson over either. YMMV
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Tks. Is it neck heavy though? Meaning does it dive neck down if you don't hold it up?
Quote by dspellman
The big machine that winds multiple pickups at a time at Gibson doesn't seem to be a tone fiend, either. FWIW, the big machine that winds multiple pickups at a time at Epiphone (there is, of course, no "chinese lady" who does this) is a bit more modern. The folks who load them with bobbins and wire, set the counter for a pre-determined number of winds and who then remove them from the machines for assembly are, in both cases, task trained individuals and none of them tone fiends. Gibson does, however, add unicorn farts and fairy dust at a later stage of assembly.

You may find that you really don't want to be anywhere near the "Gibson equivalent" on these guitars; it's all a matter of personal taste (or the lack of it). I've got a number of exploder-style guitars that have ranged in price from the Carvin V220 through a custom bolt neck version to a very expensive Moonstone version, and at no point was the Gibson version a frontrunning choice.

That is all cool and all... but there is a reason Epiphone pickups go for 10 to 20 bucks on ebay. They are not that good by any standard. Unless the only standard is for them to work. That was the only knock I gave it.

That is why I recommended him what to do so he can get an idea of the ballpark sound. I never said any thing about a "preferred sound" at all or said anything about which one was the better "sound"

I love your understanding (or the lack of it)

I said Epiphones play great and sound great but a bit different than a Gibson equivalent? What part confused you? Hell if I wanted something explorer shaped I'd give a Viper the first shot. Gibson hatred seems to be strong with this one.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 6, 2014,
In my experience Epiphones play really well but sound like shit. So I'm just going to mirror what everyone else is saying and recommend buying the Epiphone then putting your EMG's in.
Quote by columbiar

Gibson doesn't sell a lot of these, so they do them in batches. They'll be back. But if you can find a good used one, I'd suggest considering it.

The Epiphone versions are certainly decent. In fact, after having looked at a pair of new Gibson Firebirds ($2K each) at a local GC, I'd say that the fit and finish on the Epiphones is obviously better. It shouldn't be, given the size of the price difference, but there you are.

Pickups will be slightly different, wiring harness may be slightly different, but those will probably be the only significant material differences.

Just find one and try one out and see if the neck is to your liking (action and all that, of course, can be set up).
a bacchus korina explorer doesn't compare to a gibson, it annihilates it.

in case you wanted to get something ridiculously nice.

cost is around $1000 typically.
A usa Hamer standard I would seriously look into.

A Gibson explorer is pretty good too. I used to have a white one with ebony board. An epiphone simply doesn't compare. You get what you pay for, and it's 'decent' in all counts. But simply not as good as the Gibson.