I'm about to buy an electric guitar. Unfortunately, due to some life circumstances, I have no time to drive around dozens of shops and trying every single guitar I find. So I really need your advice, guys.

What I need is a 6-strings electric guitar. Music styles - from pop-punk to heavy metal.

The budget is flexible but I prefer a cheap thing just because I'm a beginner and not going to play gigs. It's just a hobby, kind of.

Have played only acoustic. But really like electric guitars so I don't want anything special 'similar to acoustic' just because I used to play the acoustic one.

Probably the main requirement is that it should be light and easy to play. That means, a very light weight, and the ability to play barre chords easily. I really hate when the strings are far from the deck and it more about doing some kind of silly exercises in a gym rather then playing music.

Also it should be well-built, I don't want to throw it away after a year because the material quality was awful and something got twisted\bent.

So... I pay a lot of attention to how it feels, not only to how it sounds. In the end, you'll never change its weight, but you can vary its sound by changing strings, humbuckers, effects etc.

Disclaimer: I'm in Asia (Thailand). The well-known brands might cost 2 times more here, then in, say, the US. And there's a big change I'll find a fake instead of the real thing.
Last edited by abassaka at May 24, 2014,
Quote by abassaka
I'm about to buy an electric guitar. Unfortunately, due to some life circumstances, I have no time to drive around dozens of shops and trying every single guitar I find. So I really need your advice, guys.

What I need is a 6-strings electric guitar. Music styles - from pop-punk to heavy metal.

The budget is flexible but I prefer a cheap thing just because I'm a beginner and not going to play gigs. It's just a hobby, kind of.

Have played only acoustic. But really like electric guitars so I don't want anything special 'similar to acoustic' just because I used to play the acoustic one.

Probably the main requirement is that it should be light and easy to play. That means, a very light weight, and the ability to play barre chords easily. I really hate when the strings are far from the deck and it more about doing some kind of silly exercises in a gym rather then playing music.

Also it should be well-built, I don't want to throw it away after a year because the material quality was awful and something got twisted\bent.

So... I pay a lot of attention to how it feels, not only to how it sounds. In the end, you'll never change its weight, but you can vary its sound by changing strings, humbuckers, effects etc.

Disclaimer: I'm in Asia (Thailand). The well-known brands might cost 2 times more here, then in, say, the US. And there's a big change I'll find a fake instead of the real thing.

all of the bolded text is related to how it is set up and with what gauge strings are on it than the guitar itself. most cases if you get a good setup it will be much better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at May 24, 2014,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
all of the bolded text is related to how it is set up and with what gauge strings are on it than the guitar itself. most cases if you get a good setup it will be much better.

ok thanks =) then it's mostly about the weight of the guitar...
Quote by abassaka
ok thanks =) then it's mostly about the weight of the guitar...

i can't tell you the weight. it can vary from guitar to guitar as well. sorry, but i will do what i can. and if you get a guitar set up right, it will play fine. you can't really do as much of that on an acoustic

what is your budget approximate to USD? just so i know where to look.

i would recommending avoiding a tremolo on a cheap guitar. most important thing is that it stays in tune. cheap trems will get your guitar out of tune fast.

what kind of music will you be playing?

do you like humbuckers or single coils?

do you have a paticular image in mind (strat/tele/LP/SG, etc.)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Schecter guitars are somewhat heavy but offer a string-through set up which is perfect for a first guitar. Also if you're looking for a whammy bar Ibanez RG series offers alot for a good price.
Perfect practice makes perfect.
HSS strat will do pop punk very nicely and be nice and light. Failing that SG or some kind of superstrat.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
^ i'd still say it's worth checking the weight with strats and superstrats... their weight can vary.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
both of my Gibson SG's are very light. they will do anything with the right pickups (personally i don't mind what comes in them).

checking weights of superstrats would be a good idea.

Parker has some amazing models and they are light, but likely out of your price range.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
yeah my sg is light. in my experience, good-quality thin/small mahogany guitars are about the lightest I've come across, without considering things like semi-hollows and hollowbodies. strats/superstrats *can* be light, but not always. I've played heavier ones, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JackovSlayer
Maybe some of the Ibanez S models? They seem very light.

that is also a good recommendation. and light guitars, look MIJ
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I just bought a G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe and it is super light, might be over your budget
I also have a Epiphone G-400 vintage that is a nice guitar and was really cheap

What is your budget?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate