Hi guys .... may i first introduce myself. Im Jay (wisem66) from sunny uk !!! I've been playing 20 years and played in several bands, some quite well known. Look forward to chatting !!

I am looking to get an 80's rock machine ... super strat.
I had an N4 which blew me away but was too identifiable to Mr Bettencourt (cant play like him !!).... But just lately im rather drawn to the Jackson Adrian Smith San Dimas USA white with ebony board ...mmmmmmm anyone have opinions or experience ????
Quote by wisem66
Hi guys ....

Hi!! You want to play 80's rock and if you wish to have Jackson Adrain Smith USA then I say you might want to try Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH guitars (you can also check their San Dimas model guitars as well). I never played any Jackson or Charvel guitar but Charvel So-Cal's look specially the black pickguard with white body seems awesome to me (so as the Jackson Adrain Smith's look). I know you prefer Ebony fretboard (which Charvel So-Cal doesn't offer) but I say get to the shop and try both of the Jackson and Charvel models and see what you prefer the most. Best of luck.
I have had the USA Charvel San dimas when the came out in limited colours a few years ago.. great quality !! I'm sold on the ebony boards now though !! Charvel wildcard primer7 was an option but cant find one anywhere !!

Thanks for your reply...
Quote by wisem66

I am looking to get an 80's rock machine ... super strat.
I had an N4 which blew me away but was too identifiable to Mr Bettencourt (cant play like him !!)

Here in dour and dank (it always seems to rain here...) Los Angeles.

This is the first time I've ever heard that an N4 was "too identifiable" with Nuno. In the first place, he was never all that widely popular in general. Second, while he's certainly a good player, I don't think that the N4 was very identifiable (in the way that the Frankenstein strat is with EVH), and finally, you'd probably have to be a guitar player and a Nuno fan in order to even recognize the guitar without him attached. Methinks you overthought that.

I personally don't care for clunky neck heels, so when I'm thinking '80's superstrat burners, I narrow it down to neck-throughs. I prefer ebony fretboards, and those are tough to find on the bolt necks. I prefer 24 frets to 22, in part because most of the 24-fret constructors try to get all 24 out in the wind, which makes access to the first 22 that much better.

My favorite builder of these guitars is Carvin, followed by Suhr (both have factories within driving distance). Carvin's default fretboard is ebony, with rosewood and maple available. Their DC series guitars can be had in a huge variety of colors and finishes, with a number of pickup configurations, with and without trems, with a variety of fret sizes and materials, etc. Fretwork is outstanding (they used to advertise that action was guaranteed to be "as low as 1/16th" from the 24th fret with no buzzing frets." That action figure is usually quoted by most manufacturers at the 12th fret.

Suhr doesn't build neck-throughs, but he builds some amazing guitars. He runs his through brand new PLEK machines *after* manufacture, and they're seriously slick. Best place to find stock is at Wild West guitars in Riverside. Don't rely on the website; they're woefully behind in keeping that thing up. CALL or email them.

And finally, if you want a stunning paint job or an amazingly detailed guitar, check out GMW Guitars.

My newest "burner," however, is a Variax JTV-89F. It's not a neck-through, but it is a 24-fret wide/thin neck profile 25.5" scale with a 16" radius, jumbo frets, an amazingly slick rosewood fretboard (smooth, not grainy as most are), a good set of fairly hot humbucking pickups with a five-way. And, oh yeah, all that Variax electronic technology.
Quote by wisem66
sunny uk !!!

richtone in sheffield is getting another batch of those japanese-made charvels into stock, for £600. Might be worth considering if you're concerned a signature model is too related to the artist. They're pretty good value and nice guitars (though have the korean OFR rather than the german-made one, though that can be swapped down the line if considered absolutely necessary).

don't get me wrong, a USA jackson is "better" (i haven't tried the adrian smith though), but the japanese charvels are still really, really good. they're most of the way there for about a third of the price.

If you're ok with the price of a USA jackson you have a lot of options from the like of suhr, tyler (maybe a bit over), tom anderson, vigier, musicman, ibanez j custom, esp (not ltd), etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 24, 2014,
1980's Charvel Model 4,,, do not doubt the Japanese instruments, I don't even look at new stuff anymore. But hurry up! People are now realizing that the Japanese guitars built from about '78-'86, and a few into the very early '90's are the bomb, prices will go up.
The Adrian Smith jackson is on my list. Cracking guitar and great value. Cheapest I've seen it for was about £1500. £1650 is the best at the mo.
Yep so i've back tracked and bought another Washburn N4 ...... cant get away from how great these guitars are !!! It just ticked all the boxes and still looks sooooooo cool... plays a dream and now with a trembucker Jb in the bridge position sounds fantastic .....

Happy again ...
Nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?