Page 1 of 2
I'm sure some of you listen to "post-rock" bands like Mogwai and Explosions In The Sky.

My mate says this type of sound and genre classification is stupid and pretentious because "rock is still going on you know man" so post-rock can't be a thing until after rock ends, and rock is never gonna end.

I argue him that post-hardcore is still a genre when hardcore is still going strong and it's just using elements of rock in a new sound like "after rock".

Anyway it's just a way for people to find bands who sound like Mogwai I guess. Don't see the point in getting annoyed at a genre name either way.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
The 'post' in genres doesn't mean 'after'.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

What does it mean

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
post office rock
post office punk
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Music for mailmen, obvs.

Not a genre m8 its a sub-genre. What you gonna do about it?
Quote by SMH07
Not a genre m8 its a sub-genre. What you gonna do about it?

oooooo #burn ima get a plaster and apply it to the burned area

Quote by EndTheRapture51
oooooo #burn ima get a plaster and apply it to the burned area

wow omg
Correct if I'm wrong, but the word "post" rock in post-rock derives from "post-apocalypse? You know, the moody sounds and the general atmosphere of the genre itself. That's what I always thought at least. It's a pretty good description if you ask me.

Edit: Appearently I'm way off. F**k that! It should stand for post-apocalypse.
Last edited by MetalMullet at May 24, 2014,
What about post-post-rock?

It's so new age there aren't even instruments, it's just the sound of a post van driving through a small village #truehipstermate
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
I find it funny when Sigur ros are labelled post-rock because they're nothing like the amount of dull, uninteresting soundscape shit half the genre is made up of. I only enjoy like two PR ones
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Russian circles is a post rock band right? They make nice music. Drummer quite good.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's cool to hate Post-Rock now?

Think it's because Ian started liking it but idk where the hell that dudes been.
My biggest problem is that it somehow groups Sigur Ros, This Will Destroy You, Hammock, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor as the same genres.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by soundgarden1986
Think it's because Ian started liking it but idk where the hell that dudes been.

ban hammer gone 4ever
Quote by Baby Joel
My biggest problem is that it somehow groups Sigur Ros, This Will Destroy You, Hammock, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor as the same genres.

Eh, that's the same with a lot of genres.
Does the tin man have a sheet metal cock?
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Everyone's so interested in post. Why aren't more people interested in conversation
Actually, don't you people think genres are kind of limiting? Or one dimensional or something?

I mean, you can say something is "rock", but it can refer to any imaginable possible sound. Even then the line between "rock" and any subgenre you think a certain piece of music belongs to is very blurry. Even then, are the subgenres part of the genre? Is something that is "post-rock", "rock" as well, because it is a subgenre of it? If not, then isn't it a different genre altogether?

Then there's more ridiculous stuff, like "pop", which can compass anything from The Beatles to Justin Bieber. It seems heavily limiting, and hard to define. Hell, some songs I feel like aren't even in any genre at all. Like "slow" songs/ballads for instance (I still don't know how to call them).

Wouldn't it be better, maybe, to give different "types" of labels to songs, based on specific things of it perhaps, and get rid of "genre"? Like rhythm, cultural aspect, "energy", tempo, melody, etc? Surely we could come up with something right?
Genres seem kind of archaic and somehow wrong to use. Just like using the MPAA's ratings for films seems archaic and wrong

EDIT: Like, I want to take a look at the "genre", or the "label" of a song, and know what I'm getting into. If it's something like "post-prog-rock", then I'll go "WTF" and have no idea, since it can be anything from low volume strikes of a lute, to some chants with tubular bells and a heavy metal choir behind, to whatever.
Last edited by gonzaw at May 24, 2014,
I don't see how it's pretentious at all. I don't mind doses of post rock, I just can't stand it for too long. And I'm not too sure what post punk is and if someone could give me an example to listen to I would appreciate it, sounds like something I'd like.
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by RylanThePotato
I don't see how it's pretentious at all. I don't mind doses of post rock, I just can't stand it for too long. And I'm not too sure what post punk is and if someone could give me an example to listen to I would appreciate it, sounds like something I'd like.

The best post punk song ever has already been posted

More goodness tho
Yes, because it's irrelevant. and trying really hard to be, so it can warrant it's own genre to cover their meaningless existence.
Quote by gonzaw
Hell, some songs I feel like aren't even in any genre at all. Like "slow" songs/ballads for instance (I still don't know how to call them).

um??? you freaking wrote it in the sentence are you kidding me
Quote by gonzaw
Ballads isn't a genre

why not? do you understand what a "genre" is?

it is a commonly understood manner of classifying music into a category based on major defining aspects of the composition.
Page 1 of 2