So ive been playing guitar since 2001 but stopped for a couple years. The past year I have been playing a lot and now I want to acquire some new gear!
Here is my current gear:
Epiphone DOT cherry baught in 2003 (love this guitar)
Boss ME-50
Marshall valvestate 15w
Squire Strat
Ibanez GIO bass

I started out playing a lot of STP, smahing pumpkins, metallica, alice in chains... stuff like that. Now my style is changing to more metal I mostly play LOG. I also like BTBAM, Carcass, Behemoth, Death I'm going for more of a heavy sound now.

So my question is guitar or amp?

My budget is between $600-$700. For a guiatar I want a Floyd Rose (not a special) EMG 85/81 combo and I dont want a 7 or 8 string.
Heres a guitar Ive been looking at http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/charvel-desolation-dx-1-fr-soloist-electric-guitar
As for an amp I havnt done that much research. Ive looke into the Peavey Vypyr vip people on this site seem to like it. I Just play at home for fun tho. Does any one her have a Yamaha THR? Those look cool what do you guys think?
just so you know active pickups don't always play nice with digital modeling amps.

look at BC Rich as they have a few guitars (mainly warlocks) that may fit the bill.
Quote by monwobobbo
just so you know active pickups don't always play nice with digital modeling amps.

look at BC Rich as they have a few guitars (mainly warlocks) that may fit the bill.

Thanks! I should have clearified that I'm trying to decide between a new guitar or amp. If I got a new guitar with avtive pickups i would play through my little Marshall or Boss with headphone like I do now. So If I got with an amp ill be stuck with my DOT which i dont mind. I get good distortion tones out of it with the ME-50. Do you have any recos on an amp with a Mesa type sound but for around $600? Although I only play at home so mayb the guitar would be more fun.
Also I havnt looked much at BC Rich I just dont like the way warlocks look.
Quote by monwobobbo

And very often they do.
Move upscale with the modeling amp (beyond the $100 bracket) and you're doing fine.
I'd get an amp. I like Dots and I've had the misfortune of owning a Valvestate before.

Screw the vip though, get something good. Looks like you've got enough cash.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at May 24, 2014,
assuming you like your guitar and it's suitable for what you want to play (if you're looking at 7 strings with a floyd it might not be ), get a new amp.

yeah so i read a bit further into your OP... it really depends. Your amp is the weak link there. but the dot isn't really suitable for the heavier stuff. yet splitting your budget runs the risk of getting a mediocre guitar *and* amp whereas blowing that all on the one thing will get you something good.

it's your call, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Build your rig in stages, don't split your budget. It will take patience, but it will be worth it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
lots of ways you can go with this and I guess I have to ask why you got the Epi Dot as it doesn't seem to fit even the stuff you were originally playing. if you want to play the really heavy stuff then there is a few ways you can go guitar wise but you may have to make a compromise or 2 with that budget. the higher end floyds tend to be on the more expensive guitars and so are EMG's as a stock pup. i's suggest looking at some Jackson's or if you can live without an actual Floyd (but with a decent Floyd style trem) then Ibanez.
I chose the DOT because at the time I was also into the blues and I didnt want a guitar that any one else in my school had. I have come to really like everything about this guitar tho and it has great tones for all types of music just not what I am into now. From reading the replies here it seems like I should wait and save more money. Maybe a used Mesa or Peavey 5150 or xxx
Also I've looked at Jackson too and if my budget was higher I would probably go that route. I like there compound radiused fingerboards. As for Ibanez I have not tried there Edge Zero II bridges but have heard its the same as the floyd and maybe even more reliable. Again looks like I need to save more
Quote by cav22s
Also I've looked at Jackson too and if my budget was higher I would probably go that route. I like there compound radiused fingerboards. As for Ibanez I have not tried there Edge Zero II bridges but have heard its the same as the floyd and maybe even more reliable. Again looks like I need to save more

well there are other routes to go and some considerations. getting used gear is a great way to get better stuff cheaper. if you have any decent guitar stores nearby then I highly recommend that route. my last 2 guitar purchases netted me quality guitars pretty cheap. I bought a BC Rich NJ series Eagle (neck thru, ebony fretboard only made for a little over a year).fantastic guitar that most don't know a thing about paid $300. the other axe was a 1995 MIM Fender Stratocaster with a ton of upgrades (locking tuners, LSR Roller nut and Graphtec saddles plus more) again $300

the other thing to consider is do you really need all the specs you mentioned. now I'm all for getting what you need but give what you "need" some real consideration as you may find alternatives that will work fine.