I bought my first electric Guitar and amp earlier today. I caught myself a Mexican made Fender Telecaster and a Fender Frontman amp. I didn't really have much of a budget for the amp, so I chose whatever I could afford to pay. I suppose in this case I did get what I paid for. (Both the guitar and amp were used btw)

If I turn the amp's main volume knob above 2-2.5 I get this loud buzzing sound. To eliminate this really loud buzzing sound, I have to keep the amp volume under 2-2.5, I also have to keep the the volume (on the guitar) at 10/max and I have to turn the tone knob to 0. Increasing any of the other amp knobs above 1 only makes the problem worse. Some knobs have no effect, others worsen it.

The headphone jack in the amp also acts funny. You hear sound coming from the headphones, but every string pretty much sounds the same. The headphone jack is pretty useless in its current state.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Do I just have to bear with this for the time being (until I can get a new amp a few months down the road) or is this something that I can fix? I'm hoping that it's only a problem with the amp and not the guitar.
Last edited by SpyrotheDragon9 at May 24, 2014,
Did you buy it from somewhere you can return it? Its somewhat easier to do better than a frontman with very little cash anyways.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Did you buy it from somewhere you can return it? Its somewhat easier to do better than a frontman with very little cash anyways.

I don't see why I couldn't return it. I'd just have to drive back to the store. I might have to drag my parents along because they don't like my driving on the highway or in the city in their car . I was in a rush because I had to be at a university tour later that day, so I didn't get to try it out. The sticker price was $69 and I ended up getting it for $48. Not much of a loss, but it's just the haste of trying to get back, and wanting to play my new guitar . First world problems.

Would this lead you to believe that it's entirely an amp problem or would I just have to try my guitar out on a different amp to figure that out?
I would suspect the guitar more if it were single coils, single coils tend to buzz a lil (some a lot). But since your tele has humbuckers...and its a Fender Telecaster, I'd bet its the amp. Some things that may help; keep other electronics away, don't put the amp near a wall outlet, don't point your pups at the amp.

Although if its bad, there's probably something wrong with it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Does the noise change when you touch the strings?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Does the noise change when you touch the strings?

Nope. I the guitar can be just sitting there and the buzzing is at the same "strength". I did stand father away and it did make a little bit of a difference, but it was still there.
Take it back and get a Vyper.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Did you test the amp to make sure it worked at the store? Sometimes that nasty buzzing noise is a dirty elect circuit in your home. An old refrigerator with a failing compressor or an arcing fan motor can cause this. If it still buzzes at the store, the amp is the problem.

Buy a Fender Mustang.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
So it's official. I'm going back tomorrow to return the amp and get a different one, and I'll actually play on it this time. I know almost nothing about amps. I'll keep my eye out for that Pevey. I did have my eye on a Vox though.
The Vox Valvetronix is my personal favorite modeling amp (in that range). I've got a few tube amps now but I still keep my vt30 around. There a lil weird at first, I remember when I first got my vt30, I was on the verge of trading it when I gave it another go and stumbled across a really nice tone (on the tbx). There's quite few sweetspots all over the dial, very nice entry level amp.

A general somewhat consensus around here seems to be, vyper for metal, valvetronix for rock and mustang for cleans. Thats very, very generally speaking, all 3 seem to be good entry level amps.
Last edited by lucky1978 at May 25, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978
The Vox Valvetronix is my personal favorite modeling amp (in that range). I've got a few tube amps now but I still keep my vt30 around. There a lil weird at first, I remember when I first got my vt30, I was on the verge of trading it when I gave it another go and stumbled across a really nice tone (on the tbx). There's quite few sweetspots all over the dial, very nice entry level amp.

A general somewhat consensus around here seems to be, vyper for metal, valvetronix for rock and mustang for cleans. Thats very, very generally speaking, all 3 seem to be good entry level amps.

What about an amp that's good for punk?
Quote by SpyrotheDragon9
What about an amp that's good for punk?

Everybody's ears are different so definitely try any and every amp you see. ANY amp will do punk, by definition, to me. But the vt can get a really good raunchy, crunchy tone at modest volumes. If you're not a metal player looking for as much gain as you can get, the vt will work great for you.
You're playing punk? I'm an old punk. What sort of punk? Tell me bands and era and I'll set you straight.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You're playing punk? I'm an old punk. What sort of punk? Tell me bands and era and I'll set you straight.

I don't think I can say that I'm old punk.

Favourite Bands (In no particular order):
Paramore (Favourite by a pretty large margin)
Fallout Boy
The Killers
Klaxons
Hedley
Faber Drive
All American Rejects
Green Day
A Day to Remember
Interpol

Not Punk, but bands I also love:
Linkin Park (Another Favourite)
Gorillaz (Another favourite)
Down With Webster
Three Days Grace
Phoenix
The Neighbourhood
Evanescence (This band will always have a special place in my heart)
Ascetic Junkies

I hope that list isn't too big.
Last edited by SpyrotheDragon9 at May 25, 2014,
Get the Vyper.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Get the Vyper.

I'll see if they have any 15w or maybe even 30w Vypyrs in stock. I'll also try out the Vox.
Get the 30, it has a 12" speaker. The 15 is a toy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Check craigslist and the used section of guitarcenter.com if you're in the US