what is the difference in buying a alder body strat from asia , warmouth , ebay etc

other than maybe price and smother craftsmanship ?
my USA built yngwie malmsteen strat is a 4 piece body....just sayin. Mind you I don't live in the US so I guess it is an import for me so yeah
I would expect it to be mostly in materials and available options, because a CNC router works the same everywhere. For example, although my dream guitar would be built of Warmoth parts, I would really like to try one of those cheap Paulownia bodies, because it is very light and a traditional acoustic timber in China. It is soft, but there again so is poplar, a standard US acoustic timber. Cheap does not necessarily equate with nasty.
what i was thinking basically timber is timber they all have to be
be cut the same width to a standard size . who cares if the routes off
a little or isn't perfect .

although i do see what hes saying on craftsmanship.
what did they throw together ? 20 pieces of scrap wood
half alder and maple you just never know i guess
it all looks the same painted .
Last edited by gocosfs at May 25, 2014,
Quote by Explorerbuilder
OTHER than price and craftsmanship? That is like saying what is the difference between the ocean and land, besides water and fish?
IMport guitars are usually horrible wood, being multiple pieces. Bad finishes, inaccurate routs. Pretty much everything included in "craftsmanship"

I agree with the first part of your statement, but the second part is just not true. It depends entirely on where it is imported from and who made it. Most Japanese imports are made just as well if not better than many American made stuff. Korea has caught up quite well also in terms of quality and fit and finish. Now China thats a whole different ballgame, still a ton of absolute junk coming from there.
Quote by gocosfs
what i was thinking basically timber is timber they all have to be
be cut the same width to a standard size . who cares if the routes off
a little or isn't perfect .

although i do see what hes saying on craftsmanship.
what did they throw together ? 20 pieces of scrap wood
half alder and maple you just never know i guess
it all looks the same painted .

What you have to watch out for is are you really getting x timber. As far as routes being off that can make or break the guitar. Not pickup routes, but neck and bridge routes, if the neck and bridge are off a little the guitar may never intonate correctly.

Try to look for a body that is not finished yet so you can see the wood.