View poll results: Should I do it?
DO IT
5 71%
don't do it
1 14%
GOD NO you're throwing money away
1 14%
Voters: 7.
So I'm moving across the country, and had to sell all my gear.

It left me with about 1800 for a guitar

Instead of picking up a custom 24 on craigslist/ebay i was thinking of buying a body neck etc, custom painting and having a tech put it all together/setup.

If i buy high quality parts and get it done on the up and up, what are the best and worse case scenarios?
is it gonna end up feeling like a mexican strat or a standard LP ?

I've never played on a guitar built this way, how's it going to compare to a guitar in the $1000-$1500 range?

it's impossible to find a flamed purple custom 24 in my price range, so i figure this is a way to get something I really want.
Quote by DavidAlatorre
i was thinking of buying a body neck etc, custom painting and having a tech put it all together/setup.

If i buy high quality parts and get it done on the up and up, what are the best and worse case scenarios?

Worst case, it could be a total disaster worth whatever you could part it out for.

Warmoth guitars can be some of the nicest you've ever played, and some are total pieces of junk. I'm picking on Warmoth only because they're the best known source of bodies/necks, etc. It's not Warmoth's fault anyway; but you have to really know who the tech is and how good he is and whether he's recently broken up with his girlfriend or discovered crystal meth. As with stocks and bonds, past performance is no guarantee of future gains.

If you're going to have a custom guitar done, have a real custom guitar place do it for you. Carvin's an obvious choice. Nik Huber's one. Suhr fills the bill. Trussart. GMW Guitars. Local tech Joe Schmeckledorf, no.
Quote by dspellman
If you're going to have a custom guitar done, have a real custom guitar place do it for you. Carvin's an obvious choice. Nik Huber's one. Suhr fills the bill. Trussart. GMW Guitars. Local tech Joe Schmeckledorf, no.
I tend to agree with what you're saying but this is a tough break for poor old Joe Schmeckledorf - he's one of the good ones. He's been doing consistently good luthier work on the side for years and has no obvious psychoses or addictions. He's never going to make it big like Nick Huber if everyone keeps advising people not to use him.

Just playing devil's advocate and sticking up for the little guy. But yeah, if you're planning on spending big money you need to be pretty sure.
If you want to feel like you have built a guitar then buying parts and piecing it together isn't a bad way to go. If you are just going to pay somebody else to put it together for you then you are wasting your money.

You have already been given some good alternatives so I won't list them again I'll just add that it's pretty cheap and easy for a luthier to kick out an electric guitar from scratch so depending on what the market is like in your area, you might be able to find a good luthier willing and able to make you a real custom guitar in the 1.5-2K range
Not taking any online orders.