Greetings all, I'm looking for a little advice/guidance from you more advanced players.

I am in my 40's and have been around guitars since my teens, having been passed one by my brother in law and finding I have a talent for playing/learning. I have been picking one up every now and then since that time BUT I have not really progressed much in playing ability. I can handle barre chords, open chords etc but when it comes to jamming with others I really struggle if they go off track and improvise. Compared to them my playing sounds almost monotone

Now to the fun part, I stand at a crossroads here....WHAT is best for me? I know no music theory beyond the basics, having picked up what I know via others or books I grabbed. SHOULD I go back and try to relearn the "right" way (if there is one)? Nowadays I play mainly reggae, even going so far as to do some recordings using sonar with my mates......I need to learn some chops

Can someone point me in the right direction? I am really interested in some three or 4 note moveable chords so that I can build up some reggae licks. Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by NigeP at May 25, 2014,
i don't think you need to unlearn anything man.. i'd say the best you can do now is taking a look at the theory to back-up what you are doing in practice.

these 3-4 note chords are pretty easy once you know how to form them. first you must know your major and minor scales. a standard m/M(7) chord are the 1-3-5-(7)th notes of those scales. find the root note, and look for the other 2 or 3 notes on the strings around the one your root note is located on. on a guitar neck the positions of the 5th, 3rd and such are relatively always in the same location regarding to your root. (but keep in mind that from the b string on everything skips 1 fret towards the bridge)

so once you know the chord shape of a Bm7 with B on the g-string, you can just move that entire chord shape 3 frets so the root note becomes D and you have a Dm7 chord. if you want to change that Dm7 into a Dmajor7 you can stay in the same location on the fretboard but simply raise the 3rd note and 7th note of the scale 1 fret and you got the major7 shape with root on the G-string.

after that it's only a matter of practice to memorize the chord shapes with the root starting on different strings

i hope that made sense
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by vince1991
i don't think you need to unlearn anything man.. i'd say the best you can do now is taking a look at the theory to back-up what you are doing in practice.

+1

maybe even get a teacher just to check you're not on the wrong track, but you may well be fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?