Hey, I wanna get myself an amp but I will be going to college dorm next year which is still in my own city. So I will be traveling back home every week end etc.

I currently own a shitty 10w ibanez standart starter amp which I bought for 50$ which was quite nice deal for me.

What I want from my future amp is that it can play good at low volume, if not decent with a headset. Has a nice reverb and a rusty distortion. Dont know how to describe it but something along the lines of Rory Gallagher-ish sound.

I can pay upto 600$ maybe a little more if something exceptional.

Also what do you think about buying an amp 2nd hand? My current amp and I never had an issue but afterall its a small and solid amp. What could go wrong?
Last edited by arcanom at May 25, 2014,
Line 6 POD HD500 and a set of decent studio headphones
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Try a Yamaha THR 10. Sounds great, looks very good, and it's extremely portable.

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Fender Vibro Champ XD. It does credible Fender Blackface, AC30 and JTM45 tones at very low volumes. Rory played through the Vox mostly as I recall.

I bought all my amps second hand. I have owned about 20 over the years and rarely found a stinker. Just give it a workout to make sure it is in good shape.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 25, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly

This.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Robbgnarly
Up for this, + a pair of ATH-M50 or K240 mkII.

If you decide for the yamaha THR though try one before buying it - I've mostly heard good stuff about it but it sounded pretty bad to me when I tried it in person, so I'm guessing it's kind of a matter of preference.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Check out Mahaffay Lil' Lanilei. I was lucky enough to find one on craigslist.
Quote by Spambot_2
Up for this, + a pair of ATH-M50 or K240 mkII.

If you decide for the yamaha THR though try one before buying it - I've mostly heard good stuff about it but it sounded pretty bad to me when I tried it in person, so I'm guessing it's kind of a matter of preference.

I also didn't care for it

The Tiny Terrors are awesome, might be able to pick one up around $600 used. Used is the way to go, I buy all my stuff like that, it gives them history which gives me inspiration
Last edited by Jmoarguitar at May 25, 2014,
^ nice or not, a tiny terror alone costs as much as TS is willing to spend.
Then he'd need a decent cab which wouldn't cost less than another $100.
Then he said he wants a reverb, which the tiny terror doesn't have, so he'd need one.

He also said he wants something that sounds like rory gallagher.
I don't think tiny terrors really sound like rory gallagher.

I mean it'd be nice but I reckon it's not what TS's after.

Didn't really think about the "used stuff has history and that inspires me" thing.
Maybe it's because the guy who sold me this amp said he changed the pre tube because it had gone microphonic, and opening it up I found the stock pre tube and a fairly new-looking JJ power tube :P
But it's a nice idea!
So thanks for the idea
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at May 25, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
This - and a powered foldback wedge for those times when you need to keep up with a drummer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You might only need to spend for the Pod HD (bean). All the electronics of the HD 500 but without the pedalboard things. If you decide to play live, an FBV Express pedalboard is about $99, the Shortboard about $199 (new).

The Pods can be used with headphones (get a decent set, such as the Sony 7506, rather than trying to play with a set of $4 buck buds), or you can run them through a pair of powered recording monitors, or virtually anything more powerful.
+1 to a modeler with headphones or monitors. Unless you've got cool neighbors, any amp regardless of low wattage is going to be loud for an apartment. Even those little Blackstar HT-5's can be pretty damn loud.
Quote by Linkerman
Try a Yamaha THR 10. Sounds great, looks very good, and it's extremely portable.

And you can make toast with it.
Quote by dspellman
You might only need to spend for the Pod HD (bean). All the electronics of the HD 500 but without the pedalboard things. If you decide to play live, an FBV Express pedalboard is about $99, the Shortboard about $199 (new).

The Pods can be used with headphones (get a decent set, such as the Sony 7506, rather than trying to play with a set of $4 buck buds), or you can run them through a pair of powered recording monitors, or virtually anything more powerful.

I'm not planning to play live in quite a while. Bean looks cheaper and closer to my range. I live in Turkey and Pod HD500 is around 500€ mark. That could hurt my budget...

What are some other processor choices that are good in quality & price. I'll go try at store but dont wanna look completly newbie and buy something stupid. What about a Roland ME-70?

Also in terms of headset, I own a Razer electra. do you think its good enough?
Last edited by arcanom at May 26, 2014,
The Line 6 POD HD is the best you will find. The Boss GT100 is soposed to be pretty good, but the modeling is not as good as the Line 6.

You might also want to try Boss GT10, Zoom G5, Digitech RP1000

Even the older Line 6 POD XT/X3 are pretty good. I bought a POD XT for $65 off Ebay and a decent set of headphones for $30 and I can practice fine in my apartment.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're on a strict budget check out the Zoom G3 (or above, but not below). They go for pretty cheap, sound good with headphones (especially the amp models), has a built in looper and a useful metronome, models dozens of actual pedals, very easy to use and Ive had mine for years and it still works good as new.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20