I've tried some of the big guitar brands (ESP, Jackson, Ibanez) and intend to try a few more. However, I'm trying to find the perfect guitar for the type of music I play. The best way I could describe that would be to say I play distorted soft rock, because most of the stuff I write ends up being the lovey-dovey mushy stuff reminiscent of the '80s. It almost ends up being power metal. I've heard that Gibsons and Fenders are best for this, but I wanted to get some second opinions before I went out and bought one.
Quote by EddieRowan
I've tried some of the big guitar brands (ESP, Jackson, Ibanez) and intend to try a few more. However, I'm trying to find the perfect guitar for the type of music I play. The best way I could describe that would be to say I play distorted soft rock, because most of the stuff I write ends up being the lovey-dovey mushy stuff reminiscent of the '80s. It almost ends up being power metal. I've heard that Gibsons and Fenders are best for this, but I wanted to get some second opinions before I went out and bought one.

Nah, it's not a brand thing. Most of that kind of music from that era was done on superstrats, and that will include H-H, H-S-H and H-S-S pickup configurations. Even then, "not necessarily." Take a gander at an old group like Whitesnake during their mid-80's heyday with power ballads. You'll find mixes of superstrats and the occasional Les Paul-ish guitar. Journey has almost always been fronted with a Les Paul-type guitar (that's Schon's preference, and they're the ultimate power ballad band.

My personal preference for this kind of music is a versatile neck-through H-S-H configuration superstrat with a smooth neck heel, like a Carvin DC-145. 25" scale, 24 frets, awesomely comfortable neck, ebony fretboard, jumbo frets, 12-16" fretboard radius, five-way pickup selector, coil taps, and a bridge pickup add-in switch. Mine are koa or mahogany neck and body with a koa or quilted maple cap. If it's me there's a Suhr Aldrich pickup in the bridge, a Carvin C22 in the neck and a good single coil (the Carvin AP-11 will do) in between.
Quote by dspellman
Nah, it's not a brand thing. Most of that kind of music from that era was done on superstrats, and that will include H-H, H-S-H and H-S-S pickup configurations. Even then, "not necessarily." Take a gander at an old group like Whitesnake during their mid-80's heyday with power ballads. You'll find mixes of superstrats and the occasional Les Paul-ish guitar. Journey has almost always been fronted with a Les Paul-type guitar (that's Schon's preference, and they're the ultimate power ballad band.

Agreed.

Toto is another one- I've seen lukather using both a les paul and also a more superstratty type of thing.

If I had to have the one guitar I'd probably go superstrat (either HSS or HSH) so you have access to both humbucker and single coil tones. It's up to you, though, as you said, a variety of instruments has been used for that type of stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ibanez makes plenty of guitars that would do the trick. ESP/LTD ad Jackson's would also work despite their somewhat more metally designs.

according to what you are saying though you really don't have to go that route at all. an SSS strat or a Gibson SG (if you don't need trem) would work great for what you are talking.

for the record both Slide It In and the self titled Whitesnake albums were done primarily with Les Pauls (the videos don't feature the guitar player from those albums john sykes). the next album featured steve vai and is of course loaded with Ibanez guitars
I play in a band that is similarly styled so I guess I can give an opinion considering this... I bought a Epiohone Sheraton II some time ago and it is perfect for this kind of music! And it can also do heavier styles. So I'd advise either that or, if you can afford it, Gibson ES-335. Those guitars are magnificent
i have owned several guitars of all three brands.

none is 'better' than the other. my personal preference is Ibanez>Jackson>ESP but that is my preference.

there is one thing though, all being quality brands, say a $500 used ibanez (1550 prestige) is a better deal and higher quality than you can get out of LTD (budget brand of ESP) for that price. jackson is a little closer if you are patient.

at the $1500 level with higher model prestige ibanez, jackson soloists, and real ESP's (NOT LTD's), they are pretty much on par.

the $200-$300 range i am not really familiar with, so i will let somebody else speak on that.

(again this is MY opinion, they all make nice guitars, they all are different feel and features)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by EyeballPaul
If it was me personally i'd go Charvel San Dimas(but that's just me)

one of the newer ones? they are getting harder to find, IIRC some were MIA and some MIJ or something right? and then they kind of disappeared.

now IIRC new charvels are MIM (IIRC)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would look for an MIA or MIJ but if i had no luck i'd go MIM.I actually like the So-Cal better but for Hum/Single i'd go San Dimas.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

now IIRC new charvels are MIM (IIRC)

The bolt-ons are, I think. I think the other ones are made in Indonesia or China or somewhere like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?